Strange Question

vbimport

Seems strange to ask but here goes. I recently replaced my Actiontec PK5000 DSL Modem/Router due to a complete security disaster (I really don’t want to get into it) and figured that in addition to wiping everything on my PC that it was also a good idea to replace the modem/router with a newer one with additional custom security settings. The thing is that I have it and an old Actiontec M1000 modem lying around taking up space around the house and I would like to get rid of them. The question is, is there any way for some low-life to glean personal info off of the old modems/routers (ie history) or am I safe in getting rid of them?

12lb sledgehammer will solve this issue in short order. :slight_smile:

Yo-

Even a five pounder will be effective-eh!!

As already mentioned above, total destruction will certainly guarantee that nobody can peek into the stored settings.

And my question would sound like, “So how many tons of illegal activities, photos and website links have you stored in your modem’s history ROM?”

Most of these have a RESET CMOS routine but can those be truly trusted by the paranoid crowd?

My best counseling would be a careful rewatching of the end of the original INDIANA JONES film. That ‘treasure’ is stored in a mere warehouse. Miles in size. This is the Zebra Syndrome - “More safe in plain sight due to sheer numbers”.

If you gave those dust-collectors to Goodwill, there’s only a slim chance that Stasi-Okrana-Kempeitai operatives will sweep in and find yours. Unless they’re already tracking you. If so, then why worry?

I think that if anyone is “tracking you” that they are doing it via ISP.

Your computer though often seized in criminal cases… if previously given away
and your lawyer doesn’t raise the issue of “Chain-of-evidence being Broken” he should not be fired, he should be slowly strangled.

Even more so for any civil case.

If I had anything I’d consider “incriminating” on a hard drive I wouldn’t
simply format it I’d leave it on top of my big degaussing coil for half an hour
then shoot it full of holes…

Or simply toss it in my coal stove.

Frankly I’d love to have someone appear at my door serving me with a DMCA notice.

I could use an excuse for some temporary insanity to relieve myself of repressed rage… two or three years ago I received a “nasty-gram” from my ISB that had been relayed to them because allegedly I has “shared” via a torrent a Movie (127 Hours) I don’t have in DVD form or Digital form.

THEY had my ISP address, which we know can be falsified (Mimed), and a MAC number of the computer that allegedly was the torrent sharing computer, but they would not share that MAC number with me so I could compare it against all computers in my house.

But that counted as a “First strike”

Frankly I don’t know HOW to work a “Torrent” because I’ve never been
interested in learning…

Not when most movies I’d actually want are released for $15-20 and many more I can buy at my Local Walmart for $5-$10.

But what really ticks me off is that “127hours” is a movie I wouldn’t watch even if someone gave me a sealed copy on BluRay and a new BluRay-player to play it in.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2680916]Your computer though often seized in criminal cases.

If I had anything I’d consider “incriminating” on a hard drive I wouldn’t
simply format it I’d leave it on top of my big degaussing coil for half an hour
then shoot it full of holes…[/quote] You really don’t have the time to do that when your house is being invaded by the authoroties.

Frankly I’d love to have someone appear at my door serving me with a DMCA notice.
I would not like that (because of family, personally i couldn’t give a shit), but it’d be a nice test how well encrypted a TrueCrypt device actually is.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2678626]Seems strange to ask but here goes. I recently replaced my Actiontec PK5000 DSL Modem/Router due to a complete security disaster (I really don’t want to get into it) and figured that in addition to wiping everything on my PC that it was also a good idea to replace the modem/router with a newer one with additional custom security settings. The thing is that I have it and an old Actiontec M1000 modem lying around taking up space around the house and I would like to get rid of them. The question is, is there any way for some low-life to glean personal info off of the old modems/routers (ie history) or am I safe in getting rid of them?[/QUOTE]

Reset CMOS or go to modem settings -> reset to factory defaults.

Modem’s do not contain personal information (well something may be stored in log files, but empty them).

And give/sell the modem for someone or keep it as a spare. Do not make unnecessary electronic waste :a

Don’t ever throw a hard drive away. Take it apart and keep the rare earth magnets out of it, they are really strong, and drill a hole in each of the platters and hang them in a tree to keep the birds away. Keep the casing and sell it for scrap aluminum.

I’m building a Six-pounder… Oops you are talking about hammers!

I’m building a 6lb CANNON.

As for the rare earth magnets inside a hard drive?

It’s kinda neat to have a refrigerator magnet that you
can hang a turkey from.

As for the rare earth magnets inside a hard drive?

It’s kinda neat to have a refrigerator magnet that you
can hang a turkey from.

I get mine from burned out Microwave Oven Magnetrons…

A stun gun works good too and they are quick. Just get it close to the device and zap it.