Strange pxscan PISum8 at different speed?

vbimport

I have this wierd problem on pxscan
I have a CMC MAG-E01-00
disk is good. transfer rate testing is good. I did a pxscan with Plextor 716A

test 1 at 2X:
pxscan pisum8 pif speed=2 destfile=xxxxx.pxd
for PISUM8:
PIsum8 max: 39

test 2 at 8X:
pxscan pisum8 pif speed=8 destfile=xxxxx.pxd
for PISUM8:
PIsum8 max: 775 !!!

It only happens with this particular media. I never expect such a big difference. My Ritek, Prodisc scans are more consistent at different speeds. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

I can only say people using pxscan with Plextor 716A (instead of using Plextools PRO/XL) always scan at 2x. Some drives have different default scanning speeds (like the BenQ 1620/1640 which scans at 8x), but the Plextor 716a users always test at 2x for most reliable results.

I guess that jitter strikes through at 8x … my PX-716A produces higher jitter than my other DVD burners.

but the Plextor 716a users always test at 2x for most reliable results.
Do you think Plextor’s firmware is too stupid to count errors at 8x speed, or what do you mean with “reliable”?

I see. so basically 2X result is a more reasonable scan, as I thought

Very interesting to know this strange behavior of Plextor. Thank you very much!

I see. so basically 2X result is a more reasonable scan, as I thought
It means that the drive can barely read your disc at 8x. That’s just it

All I can say JeanLuc is that if I could properly read the jitter the Plextools graphs (but doesn’t give me a % like CDSpeed or DVDInfoPro would), I could compare it with something else. But then, my Pioneer DVR-108 doesn’t support full burn quality testing (i.e., no jitter testing)… :stuck_out_tongue:

Alex, I’m not a super technical person. I only know what I’ve seen others do, which was scan at and tell me to scan at 2x for best results. :iagree:

The error results are just an indication of what the drive picks up during reading. Just as alex said: your Plextor is struggling to read the discs at higher speeds. This doesn’t have to be a problem though. For more information on DVD error scanning read this article.