Strange problem => system freezes when attempting to burn

Hi.
My pc freezes up when attempting to burn a dvd. The software copies the dvd locally to the harddrive and when the burn starts up, my pc freezes solid.

Has anyone come accross this before? I have tried swapping out the optical drive, ram, power supply which is a 650w OCZ, and also tried using several different media.

Any ideas you have are appreciated!
Thx.

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2615 MHz
Bus Speed : 200 MHz
Motherboard : MSI K9 Platinum
System : MSI MS-7250
BIOS : AMI V1.60
Memory : 2048 MB (164ns)
Sound : Realtek HD Audio output
Video : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Case : Antec 900

What software are you using to rip/burn?

Have tried with CloneDVD, Roxio 9 and an oem of nero.
Thanks.

Kick Roxio to the curb! Try using Imgburn. Hate Roxio Hate Roxio, gives me nothing but problems.
EDIT: also if you have nero InCD installed get rid of that first

I agree about shutting off InCD; you might also be experiencing conflicts from so many software installs and Roxio is notorious for doing this.

Guys,

Thanks for info. I’ll give it try. The real wierd thing is that I was able to burn for quite a while with out any issues. As far as I can tell, This problem just reared it’s ugly head one day. I immediately assumed that the drive had failed because I could not remember making any changes to my system (software releated) for some time. But I will give the software conflick theory a try. The roxio package I bought was about $100 here in Canada. So I will be really ticked if everything starts working again after removing it.

More on this. I tried removing all the software from my system except for clonedvd.
Still had the issue when it tried to burn. When I looked in the event log I now see: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR When I click on the link the Help and support center window takes me to this solution:

"Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Cdrom
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable."

I am a little bit puzzled because I can still read media with the drive but just hangs the pc when I try to burn.
So, is it possible to have a cabling issue but still able to read cd/dvd media?

Personally I’d give it a go. You haven’t lost much by trying it except what it costs for a fresh cable. :wink:

Uninstall the IDE controller & restart windows :wink:

But definately get rid of the Roxio software and Nero’s incd first :slight_smile:

What a pity you bought that awful roxio software before realising that imgburn is free, smaller & does everything better anyway :stuck_out_tongue: