Strange problem playing games

I have some lag problem playing “Halo combat evolved” and i dont understand , my friend who have a p3, a gforce 2 video, have less lag than me with my p4 and gforce5200 fx !!! we both have a 512 ram ??? what can i do ?

Mizar

I had to turn a lot of the “features” off to even get this game to play. Also I had to knock it down to 800x600. I have a AMD 2.2 with 512mb ram and a 5600Geforce w/256mb of ram. I am VERY disappointed in this game. I would very much like to return it with a note “let me know when it’s done” attached to it. I think there is a review on bluesnews or one of those gaming sites that talks about the crappy performance that they experienced when reviewing the game. It’s surprising that the box specs are so low. I don’t know how they even got it to run on their base spec machine listed on the box. I know this doesn’t answer your question… but I just wanted to let you know that someone else is in the same boat as you are.
Cheers,
Steeler

Originally posted by mizar21
I have some lag problem playing “Halo combat evolved”

system specs dont matter at all with lag. lag is related to latency, which, simply put, is the roundtrip time for a packet of data. lag is when it takes a long time relative to someone else, or what you are used to. internet connection, as well as the ability of a server to process requests, matter more than the clients system specs.

however, if poor framerates is what you meant, it may be your video card settings. then again, maybe the game recognizes your card as a ge4, and is trying to do much more than its trying to do on his ge2.

please post what your video settings within the game are. and clarify your question, if you must :wink:

I was referring to poor framerates. For some reason it actually plays a little smoother online than the single player scenarios especially when you get in the open with a few enemies around.

i would imagine there is some command you can issue to see your framerates ingame. most fps’s have them. for example, in HL, its cl_showfps 1.

your card (actually any geforce fx card) cant handle pixel shader 2.0 very well

might help if you type -use14 (DX8.1) or -use11 in the commandline. this will disable pixel shader 2.0 and this helps to improve game performance on geforce FX based cards.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
your card (actually any geforce fx card) cant handle pixel shader 2.0 very well

do they have to emulate the pixel shading routines in software? i didnt think that fx chips had the pixel shading architechture. unsure. would certainly explain poor frames.

Originally posted by ckin2001
do they have to emulate the pixel shading routines in software? i didnt think that fx chips had the pixel shading architechture. unsure. would certainly explain poor frames.

you got to the point where many discussions are about on other forums.
from what i’ve read and heard from other people the FX does have its own pixel shading architechture, but its not 100% compaible with the pixel shader 2.0 standard.
so the drivers have to make up for the parts that the hardware screws up, that would be the reason that Nvidia is tweaking and twisting the drivers so much.

i dont have a Nvidia FX card :bow:
so i cant confirm this with personal experiences

one thing is absolutely 100% sure: Nvidia FX cards cant handle pixel shader 2.0 verry well and results in (great) los of gaming performance.

i’d believe that. x10. perhaps installing the latest forceware (thats what they are called now?) drivers from nvidia has the latest tweaks.