Strange new protection with latest patch for battlefield 1942

First time I’ve come across this. Very strange. I downloaded the latest patch for bf 1942 and now, the game will only go to the splash screen and stop at the desktop. Never had a prob. before this patch. It worked fine with the last patch and patchless.
By the way, I’m using a 1.1 copy I made with my liteon 24102b. I always play the game in my dvd rom drive to avoid the atip check and up till now everything was fine.
Ok, heres where it gets weird, I figured I would try playing it in my liteon cdrw drive and it did the same thing. No “please insert the correct cd” error, just the splash screen and then nothing. So now I figure, what the heck, I put the hide cdr media option on in my clone cd tray and bingo, the game loaded fine. It loaded fine in my dvd rom and cdrw drive as long as the hide cdr media was checked.

Is it now possible to do an atip check on a dvd rom drive??? Apparently with this new patch they are able. Its not your standard check though, because there is now insert correct cd error. Just a splash screen then nothing. Anybody else have any input on this??

BF1942 uses SafeDisc 2.8. I have the latest patches, and I play it in my CD-RW drive with hide cdr media enabled. I haven’t had any problems using my backup copy.

-Scott

EDIT: It uses SafeDisc 2.6.

Have you looked up the hex value for what SD rev this new patch uses (since you say it’s 2.8)?
Before the patch it was 2.60, but now, after I patched it to 1.2, yates scanner nor safedisc analyzer can find any protection on it.

My backup only got to the splashscreen too, will try making a new better one later.

you can use discdump to read disc!:slight_smile:

and burnatonce to copy!:wink:

read here

win98se in teac 40x reader-only: crash to total windows-freeze
(no clonecdtray running - actually no burning software at all installed)
win98se in toshiba sd-r1202 burner: message “CD can not be found” (no clonecdtray running - actually no burning software at all installed)

winxp with and without clonecdtray in no matter which drive: only splash screen, then exit

Correct results after reboot…:

win98se in teac 40x reader-only: crash to total windows-freeze
(no clonecdtray running - actually no burning software at all installed)
win98se in toshiba sd-r1202 burner: message “CD can not be found” (no clonecdtray running - actually no burning software at all installed)

winxp with clonecdtray in teac 40x reader-only: only splash screen
winxp without clonecdtray in teac 40x reader-only: only splash screen

winxp with clonecdtray in tosh sdr-1202 burner: works
winxp without clonecdtray in tosh sdr-1202 burner: works (!)

Nothing 32, are your results AFTER installing the latest patch ver. 1.2?? I had no problems running this game without “hide cdr media enabled” before this patch. I can’t understand how it won’t work in a dvd rom drive which supposedly is incapable of an atip check.

one of the download sites did have a bad patch that could also be a problem…i have no probs playing my backup form my tosh dvd or my lite on, if anything i suspect that this patch might check your regional settings and if u are not in north america you cant use this patch.

of course with 1.2

I suppose it to go someway desert on startup, too. But I don’t know where.

After further startup (what does this update mess around in registry?) it also shows only flash screen under w98 in teac reader-only.

maybe check ASPI version.

Same problems here, but it occurs with my CCD-copies AND my original copies, so it is another bug, of this freakin’ buggy game…

this is the north american patch…so if u get it working elsewhere in the world.great!!. but its not really for that…use with caution

Ok, i got it.

I guess you are working with Win2K or WinXP.

You have to change a value in your VideoDefault.con. (Bf42/Mods/BF1942/Settings)

Change “renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0” to “renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1” and I am sure, your BF will work again.

For me, it works. :slight_smile:

BTW: The US and European Patches are indentical to the last byte, so it makes no difference which one you choose.

Regards

Well, nice try kaleu, but it didnt work for me. I ran it under windows xp and it didnt make a difference. I can still play this game, but only if I have the “hide cdr media” in the clone tray checked. I believe funkengruven may be on to something with the reginal settings. There may be a screw up in the patch. My settings are correct, but still the problem persists. I also tried two different versions of this patch, because I also heard there was a problem with one as funk pointed out. They are slightly different in size. (I think the’re both screwed up :slight_smile:

Here are my latest findings: Im running a duel boot with xp home and 98se. You already know what happened with xp so I’ll just go to the 98 se results.
After the splash screen, complete lockup with the “this program has performed an illegal operation” error.
After turning on the “hide cdr media” option in clone, it boots fine!! (again)
Why would this option in clone make it boot? As far as I know, it’s just to hide the atip check which a dvd player isn’t supposed to be able to do anyways. Does it alter reginal settings checks? I wonder!!

I made a backup with Alcohol and it works great.
The US and EU patch is identical in size and works toghether fine.

reading other forums i really do believe it has nothing do do with the copying software, you can use whatever you want to copy and if it works…it works. the patch is a little inconsistent in lots of areas…

I am in total shock!!! Airhead, you are 100% correct about alcohol!!

I just made a copy with alcohol from my CLONE copy and it works!!

How the hell is that possible LOL!! (apparantly, alcohol uses a different atip blocker)

I dont have my original handy, so I copied it from my clone copy and lo and behold it boots fine now.

Alcohol rocks!!

actually according to ClonyXXL BF1942 uses SafeDisc 2.6
i haven’t had any problems with my backup copy and the 1.2 patch, game works great.
used CloneCD version 3.3.4.1 to make a backup of the game.

Strange how it’s affected some people and not others.

I had the same trouble as gamehunter after the 1.2 patch.
My CCD backup made with a Liteon 48x12x48 would no longer work.

I made a new backup using an MSI 48x16x48 and Alcohol and it works great.

Made a new .ccd image with my BF1942 cd and Alcohol 120%. Works flawlessly with Alcohol’s ability to emulate weak sectors and such in both burned CD’s, AND images mounted on a virtual drive.