Strange issue with 1640 and 1670 on same IDE channel

I have a 1640 and a 1670 on the secondary IDE channel. The 1640 is master, and the 1670 is slave. Recently, when burning or even just reading DVD’s or CD’s in the 1640, the PC shuts down. Reading or burning in the 1670 is fine.

Device manager shows the 1640 is set to UDMA-2 and the 1670 is set at UDMA-4. Board is a Chaintech VNF3-250, IDE driver is the 5.10 nForce drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the nForce IDE driver, and the drives are still picked up as UDMA2 and UDMA4.

First, I didn’t think the 1670 was UDMA4 capable, I thought it was a UDMA2 drive (as I thought pretty much all opticals were). I’ve included a pic, just to prove I’m not crazy.

I’m fairly certain that the shutdown issue is related to the different DMA modes. Any thoughts as to what the issue could be or what’s causing the problem? I doubt that it’s software, since it occurs whether I’m burning with Nero, IMGBurn, Decrypter, or even when I’m just reading the disc. It’s not overheating, since even encoding and burning with NeroVision doesn’t kick the temp above 50C (of course, only on the 1670, since the 1640 results in an immediate shutdown…and I mean immediate—as soon as the disc spins up…BAM!) I even tried different firmwares just in case.

How about switching the drives? 1670 as Master and 1640 as Slave.

Other than that, do you have any packet writing software (Sonic DLA etc) installed?

Unlick on Let Bios Select Transfer Mode!

I tried switching them this morning, but no luck. I even tried switching which position on the IDE ribbon they were connected to, just in case their was a bad wire on the cable between the two connectors, but still the same issue. I haven’t used any packet writing software since some bad experiences with InCD a couple years ago.

Could the drive itself be failing? That’s about my only guess at this point, since anything else I’ve done would have impacted the 1670 at some point.

Hi,

is that the “Work Rig” from your signature?
Then return from OC to stock speed as long as there are troubles. You may also have a look at your PSU, maybe it is faulty or not able to deliver enough current @12V.
In addition, switching from Nvidia IDE drivers to Windows standard drivers might help, too.

Michael

hey andrew:
here’s another thought. you seem to have enuff rigs. try taking burner out and putting it in another rig and see if u can duplicate the problem. that way u can eliminate the pc.

Yes, it’s the work rig. It’s not the OC though—still occurs when running stock. Also, I tried my boxed Norwood Micro, and it crashed the PC too. It looks like what I’m left with is either the PSU or the MOBO.

It shouldn’t be the PSU. It’s a 450W Coolmax, a little over a year old. The same PSU (but with a bit more age) is powering my home PC, which has 1GB more of memory and two 160GB drives (I know, I need to update the sig) vs. one 80GB in the work rig. Actually, the kids rig was upgraded to an A64 3300+, and its only running with an even older 400W Coolmax. Of course, the one in my work rig could be faulty, not to mention we have significantly more outages, spikes, etc. here at work, and the surge protector is rather basic—no voltage regulation or anything like my home rigs.

If it is the PSU, then I guess the 1670 draws less current than the 1640, which is why it hasn’t been an issue with that drive?

Hopefully, it’s not the MOBO, though it would be a good excuse to upgrade to AM2 :bigsmile:

I just hate it when a rig that’s been behaving quite nicely, and hasn’t had any hardware changes starts acting up like this.

I second this. I had trouble with Nvidia IDE driver and had to switch back to Windows IDE and no more problem. I have Sony 820A on master and Benq1620 as slave.

Hi,

okay.

It looks like what I’m left with is either the PSU or the MOBO.

It shouldn’t be the PSU. It’s a 450W Coolmax, a little over a year old.
Wattage doesn’t count. What is the amperage @12V of that PSU? Also, I don’t know, how reliable that brand is.

The same PSU (but with a bit more age) is powering my home PC,
Can you swap the PSU? So you could rule out, if it is faulty.

If it is the PSU, then I guess the 1670 draws less current than the 1640, which is why it hasn’t been an issue with that drive?
Possibly. Maybe there are some figures on the drive’s label.

Michael

Still no luck, even with the standard MSFT drivers.

That’s a no-go, there’s only one correct position for master- and slave-jumpered drives on 80-wire ribbon cable: blue connector = mobo, grey/middle = slave and end/black = master. You could try Cable Select jumper settings (in which case the order wouldn’t matter), but I doubt this will solve the issue. Better try with another cable (or use a SATA hard disk and put each drive on it’s own channel :bigsmile: ).

Well, here’s the final word: It was the PSU. Just received a new Thermaltake PSU from Newegg, and viola…can read and burn at will. I guess the power problems here at the office are worse than I thought. All of those flickers, brownouts, etc. took their toll. Further proof that a Surge Protector alone is not sufficient in today’s world. At least now the 1640 I thought was dead is alive and well. It all works out in the end…