Strange internet problems

vbimport

#1

I’ve been having this weird problem for 2 days now. In short, browsers often just refuse to load pages. Everything will work fine for a while, then nothing will load except google or hotmail (but it won’t search/let me log in), everything other site will just not work, whether it’ll say waiting for response or show a page cannot be displayed error. It happens on both IE and firefox.

It’s not that my internet is down either, my computer downstairs can still browse the web and I can still use AIM or run torrents on this one, it’s just websites that don’t work. This has even continued after a format! Doesn’t seem to be my router’s port, I tried my other computer on that port and it worked fine, and I don’t see how it could work with aim and just not web pages anyway, and only some of the time. Next step is try a different network card I guess, I don’t understand it at all, so if anybody could help me out I’d really appreciate it.

Luckily, it’s working right now. Don’t break on me.


#2

check for aspi with nero info tool, I had both system and nero aspi installed and had the same problem. I reinstalled xp to fix the problem.


#3

Looks like I’ll have to ressurect this post.

I really don’t understand this, there is no logical reason for it. I have since started using a different, and WIRELESS router, and have reinstalled windows twice, and this problem keeps coming back.

Does anybody have any idea what is causing this? even on different versions of XP I get this problem. And the other computer can always access the internet when mine won’t, and I can still use AIM! Just the browser won’t find pages for some reason. This isn’t a constant problem, but it seems to start all at once and then only go away occasionally.

In short, WTF? Any advice will be appreciated. Changing aspi hasn’t helped me either.


#4

That’s the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard :eek:


#5

Yeah, I didn’t see how aspi would have anything to do with a web browser. And I definitely don’t see the reason in even checking if the end solution was to reinstall xp anyway.


#6

most of the time cleaning your cache and cookies does the trick usually if that doesnt work it could be an isp issue


#7

I agree.

Scan for spyware, empty your browser cache/cookies, try a completely different browser. If nothing works, contact your ISP and tell them the issue. It could even be a firewall problem.


#8

Try firefox it works great


#9

mangy, had any luck yet.


#10

A fresh install of XP cleared it up, as it has before, It’s been ok for a week but who knows for how long it’ll keep working. It seems to reoccur after about a month from when I reinstall, but I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Spyware/cookies/cache I’ve always kept clear, so that wasn’t the issue. I’m starting to think it’s just Comcast having trouble every once in a while, so next time it acts up I’ll just wait a while.

Thanks for the suggestions and everything. I’ve been away from the forum lately. It’s a shame too, this is one of the few forums I go to that is actually pleasant more often than not.