Strange installation behavior of antivirus software

vbimport

Hi,

Have an issue with Avira Cleaner. Whenever I download it, it keeps storing all data in user/appdata/local/temp, by which sooner or later it gets wiped out during a cleaning process, and now it is the third time I download it, which is rather tiresome. How can I move it to user/appdata/local so that the shortcut will respond when executing the program?

BTW this antivirus does not get installed the normal way, however an “uninstall” shortcut appears together with the one to execute the program. I do not get this, and neither why does it keep installing in a folder from which sooner or later it is bound to disappear :confused:

This is what appears in its folder at temp: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141223/hcvyx5wa.jpg

Because it’s not a traditional antivirus program…it doesn’t do monitoring,it only searches for infected files and tries to clean them after detection.
The ‘uninstall’ shortcut is just to remove any remnants of the program after cleaning has happened…it’s aimed for ‘temporary’ use…

I agree, but that being the case, I do not see why is any shortcut created at all, if the program is just for temporary use. Never mind, I moved its folder one step back to local and created a new shortcut by finding out which is its target.

Well it’s not only me who noticed this strange feature. Just read the following at wilderssecurity.com: [I]Yes, I believe they are the same “kind” of scanners. Only downside I see with Avira’s scanner is, that it is installed in Temp folder. A lot of people cleans that folder regularly. IMO creating desktop shurtcuts to Temp folder is not wise either. [/I]

My second thought is, though, that installing it in temp must be purposeful, for the software might be updated only after a new installation. But this makes all unnecessarily troublesome.

[QUOTE=Ujan;2743837]My second thought is, though, that installing it in temp must be purposeful, for the software might be updated only after a new installation. But this makes all unnecessarily troublesome.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that even limited user accounts can update or run most files in /TEMP…