Strange flaw in Samsung LCD screen

vbimport

I took a picture of my brother’s Samsung TV. It has a large, vertical flaw in the picture on the left side. I was wondering if anyone can identify what is causing this.

The flaw appeared overnight, without warning. Naturally this happened a few weeks after their warranty ran out.

Any ideas welcome. Personally I think its foobared and beyond help, but it would help to know for certain.

Hey Kerry.

To me it looks like what is referred to as bleeding with some clouding.

Is this prevalent no matter what is being viewed?

:cool::cool:

Yes, it is there regardless of what is being played.

Clouding/bleeding normally manifests itself something like this.

That defect looks too sharp and irregular to me to be that and the discolouration is unusual.

Is it discoloured in real life or does it just look like that in the photo?

If it is it might be a fault with the LCD panel itself.

[B]Edit -[/B] Apparently a faulty backlight can cause discolouration like this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The color is always slightly brownish. Doesn’t show up when the tv is off of course.

I was thinking it might be a problem with the backlight, but I don’t work on tv’s so that was just a guess.

Thanks for the replies.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2591459]The color is always slightly brownish. Doesn’t show up when the tv is off of course.

I was thinking it might be a problem with the backlight, but I don’t work on tv’s so that was just a guess.

Thanks for the replies.[/QUOTE]

No problem Kerry.

If it is a faulty backlight it’s possible to get this replaced.

So your brother would be best taking it to a repair shop and asking for a quote.

He can make his own mind up from there as to whether it’s more economically viable to get it repaired or whether he has to bite the bullet and buy a new TV.

[B]Wombler[/B]