Strange DVD-R Problem

Hi Everyone,

I am having a strange problem with my DVD-R discs, I recently decided to convert some of my XVid videos to DVD and when I burnt the first two they worked fine, the discs were recognised by my computer and they played back beautifully. Using the exact same media, from the same spindle of discs I can no longer get my computer to read any that I burn, the first two still get read properly but none that I create now, the computer just acts as if the disc is blank however if I stick the disc in a standalone DVD player it plays back the video fine. I have made no changes to my computer or the DVD burner, this just seems to have happened out of the blue.

I am running windows 2000 and I have a Lite-On DVDRW LDW-451S with the latest GSB9 firmware. This is a really strange problem and I cannot understand why the burner can burn the discs but cannot read them when a standalone DVD player can!

Thanks for your help.

Well I decided to try going back to GSB6 which was the last firmware installed, after doing this I rebooted the computer and now magically all the discs that previously could not be read can now be read. Wondering if it might have been the reboot that actually changed things and not the firmware I decided to go back to GSB9 and now the discs cannot be read again, I will soon be going back to GSB6 seeing as though it works for me but the problem still remains that I can burn these discs with GSB9 but only read them again with GSB6. I have no problems with my TDK DVD-/+RW Discs but do with these, they are cheap media but it still doesn’t explain why the first two worked perfectly and continued to be readable with GSB9 and every other one after that (5 others tested) did not!!

If anyone can help me out I would be very grateful. Cheers.

Moved to LiteOn forum. Please post the MID codes for your specific discs you are using.

Hi, Sorry about the misplaced thread.

The two discs detailed below both have no problems being written, but
both have problems being read under some coniditons by the computer.

This one can be written everytime but cannot be read by the computer
under GSB9 except in the case of the first two of these I burned, under
GSB6-7 it can be written and read no problems.

This is the disc that I was originally talking about.

Unknown Brand

Media Information                            

Region information: N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID: MXL RG01
Format Capacity: Blank Disc
Free Blocks: 411107328
Free Capacity: 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type: DVD-R
Media Type: DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed: 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor: CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed: 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector: 30000h
Linear Density: 0.267um/bit
Track Density : 0.74um/track
Number of Layers: 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 58 0E 11 .l…@…P…X…
00000010 98 99 80 00 03 4D 58 4C 20 52 47 00 04 30 31 00 …MXL RG…01.
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 …

This one I used to have problems with but now that I am using GSB7 I can
write these no problems but the computer cannot read them, a standalone
DVD player can play the video perfectly. This disc claims on its
packaging to be for Data only but the video played back fine.

One strange thing I noticed below for this one is that the booktype is
DVD-R but the media type is DVD-RW!! Is this normal, I have never
attempted to alter the booktype setting for any disc ever.

Shintaro 2x DVD-RW

Media Information                            

Region information: N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID: PRINCO
Format Capacity: Blank Disc
Free Blocks: 411107328
Free Capacity: 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type: DVD-R
Media Type: DVD-RW
Manufacturer Rated Speed: 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor: CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed: 2.0x 2770KBps
Data area starting sector: 30000h
Linear Density: 0.267um/bit
Track Density: 0.74um/track
Number of Layers: 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 D6 FD 9E D8 21 00 02 0F 08 06 .l…@…!..
00000010 88 65 11 00 03 50 52 49 4E 43 4F 00 04 00 00 00 .e…PRINCO…
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 06 88 65 11 00 00 00 06 10 0C 06 …e…

Thanks.

Hi again,

As if it could get any worse now nero keeps complaining that there is a ‘power calibration error’!!

What is this supposed to mean, I cannot burn anything!!

Please Help!

Thanks.

I’ve found that a “Power Calibration” error is directly related to the media you are burning. When I get that message on a particular DVD, I put it in a different burner and it burns just fine. This even happens on some discs in the same lot. I have only gotten this message using Ritek G03 DVD 8x +R’s. I have gotten the message on a BTC1008 and when I put the same media into a Pioneer 108, it burns with no problem.

EightPaws is correct, power calibration errors are usually caused by faulty discs.

Hi,

Thankyou for the replies. Do you think it is possible for all of the problems I have been having could be caused by a dirty laser?

I have now discovered that if I repeatedly remove the disc from the drive and reinsert it many times I can eventually get the drive to read from the disc, very newly created discs have no problems being read, in fact a disc I created just today is read perfectly everytime, with the discs that wont read all the time once the drive actually makes a good connection with the disc it can read all the data from it with no problems at all, however I must reinsert the disc 5-10 times for it to finally read from it. All the discs being used in the tests are of the same type and from the same manufacturer.

I have read in other threads on this site that some people have solved ‘power calibration’ errors by cleaning the laser, I want to try this to see if it works so should I get a cleaner that is specifically for DVD Writer Lasers or will any CD laser cleaner work?

Thanks again for your help.