Strange Drive Lock Issue

Hi,
I have not been active for a while but now have time to get back to my video projects and just started having a problem with 6.2.0.5.

I updated to 6.0.2.2 in July and used it a couple of times with no problem other than it takes forever to load compared to 4.x and 5x. Any way I upgraded to 6.2.0.5 hoping it would speed things up and while trying to rip a full movie to hard drive I got a strange reading sector error and I was unable to eject my disc from my drive. I finally had to power down to get the drive to open again.

I figured it was a bad disc or SW issue so I did a clean uninstall and tried a different disc but got the same issue. I thought maybe my dw1655 BenQ drive went bad and was ready to replace it but I have been using it all day reading, writing and performing quality tests with other tools besides DVDFab with no problem.

I am using XP SP3, DVDFab 6.2.0.5 and at ATA BenQ dw1655 which has been a great drive for me. I am not ruling out a hardware problem but was wondering if others have run across a problem with the drive would actually lock and not respond to button hold down after using DVDFab? BTW with all the drives I have every owned I have never actually had a DVD writer go bad. CD writers in the old days yes, but never a DVD drive.

Hopefully I am not rambling here but any suggestions would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=VideoRoy;2477202]Hi,
I have not been active for a while but now have time to get back to my video projects and just started having a problem with 6.2.0.5.

I updated to 6.0.2.2 in July and used it a couple of times with no problem other than it takes forever to load compared to 4.x and 5x. Any way I upgraded to 6.2.0.5 hoping it would speed things up and while trying to rip a full movie to hard drive I got a strange reading sector error and I was unable to eject my disc from my drive. I finally had to power down to get the drive to open again.

I figured it was a bad disc or SW issue so I did a clean uninstall and tried a different disc but got the same issue. I thought maybe my dw1655 BenQ drive went bad and was ready to replace it but I have been using it all day reading, writing and performing quality tests with other tools besides DVDFab with no problem.

I am using XP SP3, DVDFab 6.2.0.5 and at ATA BenQ dw1655 which has been a great drive for me. I am not ruling out a hardware problem but was wondering if others have run across a problem with the drive would actually lock and not respond to button hold down after using DVDFab? BTW with all the drives I have every owned I have never actually had a DVD writer go bad. CD writers in the old days yes, but never a DVD drive.

Hopefully I am not rambling here but any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Hi VideoRoy

The BenQ 1655 is a great drive/burner and very reliable I have two of them myself :bigsmile:

I have not had any problems with the drives locking up on me, when you say 4x and 5x are you talking about during the burn process or the read speed :confused:

also are you using the VSO burn engine(DVDFab’s default) ? I myself have DVDFab set to use ImgBurn for the burn engine, also what happens if you roll back to the older version of DVDFab that did work do you still have the problem ?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2477240]Hi VideoRoy

The BenQ 1655 is a great drive/burner and very reliable I have two of them myself :bigsmile:

I have not had any problems with the drives locking up on me, when you say 4x and 5x are you talking about during the burn process or the read speed :confused:

also are you using the VSO burn engine(DVDFab’s default) ? I myself have DVDFab set to use ImgBurn for the burn engine, also what happens if you roll back to the older version of DVDFab that did work do you still have the problem ?[/QUOTE]

Hey SJ,
Thanks for the reply. I was typing pretty late and I meant DVDFab 4.x and 5.x. Any way I have figured out what the problem is.

The problem turns out to be the combination of encryption used on the particular disc I was trying to rip and the dw1655. At the very end I always get a “reading error” and if I hit Ignore it seems to work any way. The first couple of times I think I hit Retry instead and it would lock the drive even if I quit DVDFab and the only thing I could do was reboot the computer.

I have since found I can rip the movie in question with my Lite-on drive no problem and I have also found I can still rip any other movie with the dw1655 no problem.

So turns out everything is working as it should but the dw1655 has a problem with this particular encryption that corrupts sectors. I am guessing the Lite-on has a better recovery algorithm for those particular types of “errors”

One last note is I normally do not use Windows Update unless I have a really good reason. Once I get a rig stable I try not to changes things unless new hardware or software requires it. However, last night I let WU do it’s thing and I updated all the critical items on XP and updated the browser to IE 8 and now DVDFab loads much faster. I have no idea which update affected it but obviously the 6.x version of DVDFab needed one of the updates to work better. I wish I could tell you which one but I am not going to look into it any further.

Thanks for the help.

One other note, I never burn with DVDFab regardless of with burn option I have installed. In fact I never burn with any of my video editing tools either. I had problems with the integrated packages like this many years ago when I first got started so I just do not do it any more.

So I always rip or render everything to harddrive then burn almost exclusively with ImgBurn or Nero Burning ROM depending on the project I am doing. I would only use ImgBurn but there a couple of features I still use in Nero that I like.