Hi All -
Steered here by the Plextor help folks, nice to meet you all.
I have a 716a in a WIN XP PRO machine, Intel mobo. My wife has been using the writer only to make audio CDs up until now, which play fine.
But trying to burn DVD-R or DVD+R results in no error message and an apparently successful burn, except that many of the files are corrupted on the disk. For instance, you can look at messed up thumbnails of .JPG files, but MSWORD .DOC files are screwed up too, pretty much everything is at random.
The Plextor guy, learning I had two machines at home and two 716 drives (lucky me ) suggested I swap drives between the machines, which I did. Both drives passed their self diagnostic routines, but swapping the drives left the problem on my wife’s machine while the apparently “bad” drive worked fine in my old Win98SE machine.
In other words, it appears to not be a problem with the drive hardware, leading the Plextor guys to quite rightly declare “Miller Time” and send me here. :o
So here’s where I’m at:
(1) Problem stays with the wife’s computer when drives are swapped.
(2) Everything works fine reading and writing CDRs, or reading DVDs. Only writing DVD is a problem, lots of corrupt files that can’t be opened.
(3) Using Roxio EZCD v6, but PlexTools has the same problem writing corrupt files.
(4) Swapped the 80 conductor cable for a new one, no luck.
(5) Both drives pass self test.
(6) One bit of oddness on this computer: WinXP is installed on the F drive, there is an old C drive just used for storage. Problem? Plextor guy suggested I disconnect the old C drive and retry, still no joy.
(7) Tried various recommended media, no difference.
(8) Plextor guy suggested killing all the startups in MSCONFIG, no luck there either.
(9) Files themselves are fine, I moved them all from her computer to mine over our LAN and burned them on my computer, all worked well.