Strange data corruption problem with Plextor 716a

Hi All -

Steered here by the Plextor help folks, nice to meet you all. :slight_smile:

I have a 716a in a WIN XP PRO machine, Intel mobo. My wife has been using the writer only to make audio CDs up until now, which play fine.

But trying to burn DVD-R or DVD+R results in no error message and an apparently successful burn, except that many of the files are corrupted on the disk. For instance, you can look at messed up thumbnails of .JPG files, but MSWORD .DOC files are screwed up too, pretty much everything is at random. :confused:

The Plextor guy, learning I had two machines at home and two 716 drives (lucky me :frowning: ) suggested I swap drives between the machines, which I did. Both drives passed their self diagnostic routines, but swapping the drives left the problem on my wife’s machine while the apparently “bad” drive worked fine in my old Win98SE machine.

In other words, it appears to not be a problem with the drive hardware, leading the Plextor guys to quite rightly declare “Miller Time” and send me here. :o

So here’s where I’m at:

(1) Problem stays with the wife’s computer when drives are swapped.

(2) Everything works fine reading and writing CDRs, or reading DVDs. Only writing DVD is a problem, lots of corrupt files that can’t be opened.

(3) Using Roxio EZCD v6, but PlexTools has the same problem writing corrupt files.

(4) Swapped the 80 conductor cable for a new one, no luck.

(5) Both drives pass self test.

(6) One bit of oddness on this computer: WinXP is installed on the F drive, there is an old C drive just used for storage. Problem? Plextor guy suggested I disconnect the old C drive and retry, still no joy.

(7) Tried various recommended media, no difference.

(8) Plextor guy suggested killing all the startups in MSCONFIG, no luck there either.

(9) Files themselves are fine, I moved them all from her computer to mine over our LAN and burned them on my computer, all worked well.

Ideas?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Terry D.

Your chipset drivers are flawed. This is weird in your case because this should only occur on VIA and, in some cases, nForce based chipsets, not on Intel based chipsets.

You should try an other driver version, disable overclocking etc.

Let me guess: if you record normal data (and not audio) to CD-Rs, the problem also occurs?

Don’t know, I’ll try that right now.

Thanks,

Terry D.

You are so right, but worse. Can’t read any data off a CDR data disk at all, and trying to read the same disk on my 98SE system blue screened it. :frowning:

Which drivers, the ATAPI drivers?

Terry D.

Yes, most likely the IDE/ATAPI drivers.

I’ll see what I can do, not sure where to get alternate drivers. From the Windows cab files?

Terry D.

OK, I see Intel (maker of the mobo) doesn’t have updated drivers for it on their website. Plextor folks seem unaware of the connection, Roxio people haven’t replied yet.

Could it really be possible that the Intel ATAPI/IDE drivers cause a Plextor DVD burner to write corrupt files? Is this a problem with other manufacturers’ drives? Because at this point, spending $150 for another brand of burner is looking pretty good compared to wasting endless hours and blank DVDRs trying to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Terry D.

The drive doesn’t matter, the data gets corrupted before the drive actually sees it. Did you do something as stupid as installing Intel Application Accelerator?

And seriously, which other brand offers drives for as much as $150!?

I don’t know about the brands but any salesman that knows his stuff will gladly sell you one for that price, if you’re willing to pay … :bigsmile:

(1) I’ve never heard of Intel Application Accelerator, so probably I haven’t installed it. This motherboard replaced an old one that failed, Windows XP install (and it’s own BIOS) set it up. Where would I look to see if Intel Application Accelerator is installed? The ATAPI/IDE drivers are standard MS drivers, according to Device Manager.

(2) I have no idea what Plextor DVD drives cost now. The original 716a I bought might have cost around that amount, but it’s long gone as it had the decency to fail within the warranty period, as did it’s replacement.

Terry D.

I work for the state, we have a professional purchasing person. Probably we pay $1000 for them. :doh:

Terry D.

MrKnobs: If the IDE cable is of really bad quality, this effect can also occur, especially if you use cheap 90cm cables.

I used the 80 conductor cable that came with the Plextor drive, it replaced the 40 conductor cable that happened to be in the machine. I replaced that cable with yet another cable early on in the diagnostic process, no luck.

Terry D.

What I was thinking about when I wrote that figure (could still be wrong) was an external FireWire or USB2 drive. Might make more sense as a backup alternative.

I would hope the data corruption problem wouldn’t affect that, the FireWire port on my wife’s computer seems to work fine attached to everything else.

Terry D.

change the ide port and check…

Meaning what? :confused:

Right now I have the Plextor drive by itself, as master, on the secondary IDE port. It burns perfect audio CDRs, but when I try to burn a data CDR the burn proceeds fine but the files are (mostly) corrupt.

I suppose I could disconnect the second hard drive from the primary IDE port and connect the Plextor there.

Otherwise, I’m out of ideas. I reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers for the motherboard from the Intel CD, made no difference.

Terry D.

Anyone else have an idea about this?

I guess I’m going to borrow an IDE CD burner from my workplace tomorrow and install it in my problem machine at home, to see if my Plextor drive is somehow incompatible with my Intel ATI chipset motherboard.

Thanks,

Terry D.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a motherbord compatibility issue; like Alexnoe said, that only comes up with VIA-based and sometimes nForce-based platforms. Sometimes bad memory can cause data corruption; have you tried running a memory tester on the machine that is experiencing the problem?

Sorry to not reply sooner, for some reason I didn’t get the usual email that someone had replied to my subscribed thread.

The problem has been resolved, though not by Plextor. The following is the final email I sent them just now, it’s self-explanatory. Please know that their help people did make a big effort to help me, they just didn’t manage to figure it out and dropped out when I tested the drive on a different machine and it worked fine there.

This is just a note to express my thanks to you guys for trying to help me with this problem, though in the end I had to figure it out myself.

I thought maybe you’d like to know the resolution in case you get other people with this problem.

I think my case # was 5572226 (hard to read).

Anyway, I have a Plextor 716a with an Intel D101GGC motherboard (see details below). After burning dozens of coasters and talking for quite a while with your friendly support people, the problem remained unresolved.

Turns out all I had to do was change the IDE driver setting to PIO from DMA-4. To make that happen automatically on every boot, I put a jumper in the DMA position of the drive.

Now there are no more corrupt files burned. What was strange to me was it burned audio CDs fine but not data CDs or DVDs. Perhaps you understand why, I don’t.

Thanks again for all your help, and maybe pass this on to your help people so they can help someone else with this problem.

Terry D.

So now you’re using the drive in PIO mode ? That’s not what it should be. Also your audio CD’s are fine of course as the audio cd’s has its own error correction, and you won’t notice if some bits turn to 0 or to 1. When you burn data disks, all 0’s have to be 0’s and all 1’s have to be 1’s. Otherwise you will get a corrupt data, let it be a compressed file or an executable file. Seems, as the DMA is using it’s own drivers and the main memory, I’d suspect a driver problem, overclocking problem, memory timing (bad setup) problem or damaged RAM. You should check the memory (if you can, replace it for a test burn) or the motherboard, it might have a bad memory controller or its timing is set up incorrectly in the BIOS. As said, it is NOT a drive problem, and putting the transfer mode to PIO can help, but it eats CPU power and you cannot burn at max speed.

regards, Stephen