Strange CDRW Problem - LTR-52327S

OK, well I’d better start by saying Hi to the forum users! :wink:

Anyway, I have a problem. Recently I bought a LTR-52327S CDRW drive to replace my old HP 8210i (I know, I know…) Well, it burns perfectly to any CD-R I throw at it, but when it comes to HS or US CDRW media, its a no-go. The drive works with 4x Sony CDRW, but doesnt work with 24x Lite-On media or 12x Philips.

I’ve tried 10 Philips 12x, 3 Lite-On 24x and 2 Sony 4x CDRW’s, and the only ones to work are the Sony. Stranger is the fact that all 15 CDRW’s work on a friends LTR-52246S drive!

The graph attatched shows how bad this is - a massive spike in C1 and C2 at around 57min!

Does anyone now if there’s anything simple I’ve missed here? I tried three firmwares (QS0A - The original one, QS0B and QS0C) but still no-go :frowning: oh well.

Greets to you all anyway :slight_smile: and hope you had a nice crimbo.

Need to know the actual makers of the RW media.

I had the same problem when i bought this drive, it seems to be much better now with the newest firmware “***0C”. but i think this drive is quite picky with fast RW media, hope a new firmware will fix this problem for good

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Need to know the actual makers of the RW media.

The graph above shows a CDSpeed test disc burnt to the Philips disc. I presume you need the ATIP info? If so…

Sony -
Manufacturer : unknown
Code : 97m27s00f
Disc Type : CD-RW
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Phase Change
Recording Speed : 1 X - 4 X
Capacity : 74:12.00
652 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Philips -
Manufacturer : CMC Magnetics
Code : 97m26s65f
Disc Type : HighSpeed CD-RW
Recording Speed : 4 X - 10 X
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB

LiteOn -
Manufacturer : Plasmon
Code : 97m27s12f
Disc Type : UltraSpeed CD-RW
Recording Speed : 24 X
Capacity : 74:41.00
656 MB

btw, thanks for the fast replies guys :bigsmile:

Those are some very poor quality RW discs. For 24x, the only option is Mitsubishi (Verbatim). For 12x, suggest Maxell or TDK.
Most 4x should work fairly well.