Storing on a iMac HDD

vbimport

Just curious… if you wanted to move archived movie files from a PC format to a iMac’s HDD, would they still be accessible to view and/or burn on the iMac? And if you were to put a dedicated FW800/400/USB drive on the iMac and use it for some archived movie files and other mac files… what format should the drive be in? Lastly… would those archived files be playable through AppleTV?

Moving data from one file system to another doesn’t change anything, so yes the files will still be accessible. HFS+ is the file system for OSX so format your drive to HFS+. I don’t know anything about Apple TV, but I’m sure the video will play as long as the container format is supported (mov, mp4, etc.), whatever Apple TV supports.

Hi,

I am not perfectly sure if I understood your question correctly, but anyway: In case you want to use an external HDD on both, PC and Mac, then this drive needs to be formatted in FAT32. Windows doesn’t support Apple file systems, and MacOS doesn’t support NTFS.
The main disadvantage of FAT32 is, that the file size is limited to 4 GiB. Also you need 3rd party tools to format a partition larger than 32 GiB in FAT32.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2549559]Hi,

I am not perfectly sure if I understood your question correctly, but anyway: In case you want to use an external HDD on both, PC and Mac, then this drive needs to be formatted in FAT32. Windows doesn’t support Apple file systems, and MacOS doesn’t support NTFS.
The main disadvantage of FAT32 is, that the file size is limited to 4 GiB. Also you need 3rd party tools to format a partition larger than 32 GiB in FAT32.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yes… that’s the dilemma. I want to be able to store and retrieve files from both W7 and OSX on the external HDD. When you say Windows doesn’t support Apple file systems, does that mean you can’t dump a file created on the mac (say a home movie clip) onto the PC for whatever reason? And the other problem is most archived movie files are around 4 GiB +/- right? And IIRC, its either ATV or the Apple Airport that doesn’t recognize FAT32 drives, or am I confusing the issue? Then there’s HFS+… would it not be better to format the external HDD this way than with a windows format?

I had originally kicked around the idea of a two-drive Netgear or similar NAS drive, but some people don’t think you can stream video from one of those.

Mac OSX can read ntfs files but not write, for that you would need something like MacFuse. Windows can neither read nor write HFS files. You can transfer any file from a Mac to PC or vice versa, the file system doesn’t matter. Don’t know anything about AppleAirport or ATV. As for streaming from Nas several units support streaming, just google a bit.

Hi,[QUOTE=drgrafix;2549569]Yes… that’s the dilemma. I want to be able to store and retrieve files from both W7 and OSX on the external HDD.[/quote]so this HDD must be readable by both, Apple and Windows.

When you say Windows doesn’t support Apple file systems, does that mean you can’t dump a file created on the mac (say a home movie clip) onto the PC for whatever reason?
Don’t mix file formats with file systems on storage devices. :wink:
It means, from a Windows PC, you can’t copy files onto a HDD that has been formatted on a Mac with Apple’s HFS file system. And you can not copy files from a Mac onto a HDD that has been formatted on a Windows PC with NTFS.

And the other problem is most archived movie files are around 4 GiB +/- right?
It depends. :wink:
But there is a workround:
Format the HDD on the system you prefer. Then share it over your local network (wired network is highly recommended here). That way, you can circumvent the file system restrictions.

And IIRC, its either ATV or the Apple Airport that doesn’t recognize FAT32 drives, or am I confusing the issue?
No idea, I am not familiar with Apple stuff.
Then there’s HFS+… would it not be better to format the external HDD this way than with a windows format?
You can do that, but Windows can’t deal with that HDD then, unless you have 3rd party software for HFS support installed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Windows

Edit: There are also 3rd party NTFS drivers for Mac available: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
Edit2: Never versions of MacOSX seem to have a read-only NTFS driver aboard.

Michael