Storing Full DVD's on Hard drives & Compression ?'s. Help plz

Here is my goal. I want to be able to store all my DVD’s on my Hard drive, incase a DVD gets damage, lost, borrowed, etc. Right now I use DVDfab to copy them over 1:1, so each folder is about 8 gigs. I have a WD640 as my storage drive currently and it’s starting to fill up.

I’ve googled and learned all types of way to convert these VOB files down in size, and all mention a decrease in quality, but nothing says by how much. For instance, if I burn one of my DVD’s and just burn the Main movie, I can keep 100% video quality. But if I burn it down to a 4.7 gig, it might give me 60 or 90% quality etc.

By compressing these files in different formats, how much am I losing in terms of video quality in each format?

I own a Samsung 61 inch TV and I don’t want to notice a decrease in video quality. But if I can use .mp4 or .m4v or divx etc to be able to store 4 - 5 times more DVD’s on a hard drive, with only a 10% loss in quality, it might be worth it.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The only way to not lost quality (and with a 61 inch TV every reduction in quality will be easily spotted) is to save the original disc as is with no compression at all. To save some space you can remove some stuff from the disc, like all menus and extra footage, and possibly also foreign languages you are not interested in. This will save some space, but if you have a large collection of movies, 640GB will be not sufficient at all. So I suggest to consider getting a couple of 1TB disks (and probably they will be not sufficient anyway).

However, the resulting quality after a compression is related to the original movie. Some movies with high bitrate can be compressed more than others with no evident quality loss, so too bad there is only a way to know how much you can compress a movie: run some tests with various compressions and watch results in your 61 inch TV, and then choose the better compression ratio. Each movie will require such testing, so if you have many movies you must run a lot of tests for each movie, and this will be really time consuming.

Again, the more practical solution is to save the main movie only (removing foreign languages or other stuff not needed, mostly menus and other useless stuff), and buy some more HDDs.

The most space saving solution is compressing the movie with DivX/XviD or H.264 codecs, but again with a 61 inch TV it will be really difficult to not get artifacts in the video. If you have time, however, it could be worth to do some tests converting some short segments of movie compressing them and watching results on the screen. If you find this solution acceptable, then you can store much more movies on the HDD. Keep in mind that not all standalones are able to play movies compressed with H.264 codec, and also that these compressions require a lot oc CPU power, so if you don’t have a powerful enough computer to convert a single movie can require many hours.

My main goal is storage space without sacrificing any quality. I’ve started converting only only the main movie and it reduces the size by 1/2 so that will work. My PC is a QX9550 OC’d to 3.77ghz, 4 gigs ram, HD4850 video card, etc so its powerful.

My next question then would be what do I need to do to be able to then play these DVD’s in HD straight onto my 61 inch samsung. Without having to put in the original in my upconverting dvd player. This way I can just have my entire library on my PC and play them in HD from it.

[QUOTE=serpent1202;2208432]
My next question then would be what do I need to do to be able to then play these DVD’s in HD straight onto my 61 inch samsung. Without having to put in the original in my upconverting dvd player. This way I can just have my entire library on my PC and play them in HD from it.[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t the 4850 have HDMI output? I believe the ATI cards handle the audio over HDMI also, so basically you’ll need an HDMI cable from the PC to the television, if your television has an HDMI connection, if it doesn’t, then you’ll have to use the S-video out of the video card (if it has one) and the audio out of your sound card to run to the television. Then you’ll need a software DVD player on your PC, something like PowerDVD, WMP, VLC, etc.
It really depends on the type of input connections you have on the TV.

The only way to retain quality from a DVD is to avoid any compression at all. Saving the movie only is the first step. Then you can save some more space removing extra audio tracks (like foreign languages or 2.0 channels audio streams for example).

As I said, if you have a lot of movies the only solution is to get some more HDDs. I suggest to not buy too large discs however. If the disc fails, you’ll be forced to rip again a lot of DVDs, and this can be very time consuming. The best option is to get 640GB disks or 320GB drives.

I’m an new to this forum and I’m not sure if I am handling this the right way. But I have a question within the thread. I am trying to fiugre out what program will copy a dvd to hard drive without compressing it. From my understanding it should take 10 hours to rip a movie and get the full quality of the DVD. I have several different programs but I think they all shrink the movie. I have DVDShrink, CloneDVD, AnyDVD HD, DVD Decrypter…

If I am reading this original question I believe DVDFab might be what I am looking for.

Thanks for any input…

Depending on the ripping software (if you can select the read speed or not) and the size of the original, it should only take 10 to 30 minutes to rip the movie, not 10 hours. I use RI4M and typically read at 8x. The ripping time is about 14 minutes.

They only shrink if you set the default size option to DVD5. if you select DVD9 as the output, they will not shrink. BTW, I have no experience w/Clone DVD, or AnyDVD, but AnyDVD is a background decryter, I don’t believe it does any shrinking.

Regards

@Palma
If you want the full dvd on the hard drive without compression, this is easy to do with AnyDVD HD (since you say you have it). Start AnyDVD, insert the dvd in your drive, let AnyDVD do its job of decrypting the movie (should take only a few seconds). Now, right click the fox icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen and hit Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.

It will ask you where you want to put the dvd, so set a target, then click Copy DVD. As Jeff stated, this should take less than 30 minutes, and usually less than 20.