Storing BD-R in spindles and slimcases?

vbimport

Aside from the hassle of accessing them, is there any downside to storing written BD-R in spindles?

I’ve read about the “soft coat” causing problems when stored in wallets, so I know BD-R is rather fussier than DVD+R, and its made me a little paranoid about storage. There can’t be anything wrong with storing written discs on spindles, right? They come on spindles, so what could possibly be different after they are written.

I know you can label BD-R with a Sharpie, but this shouldn’t cause any problems when storing on spindles, should it? I mean, the ink won’t migrate to the data surface of the above disc or anything, right?

Also, since the data surface of BD-R is more sensitive than DVD+R, is there any need for special BD-R slim jewel cases? Like those annoyingly blue Blu-Ray cases, do they do anything special, like keep the data surface half a millimetre further in the air? Or can you use any jewel case, slimcase, DVD case, etc.

They come in spindles so I don’t see how storing in a spindle could be harmful. I stored DVD+Rs in spindles for many years with no problem. I do have some BD-Rs stored in spindles but not long enough to say it is/isn’t safe.

Most discs have a hub spacer so when you stack them, the disc surface doesn’t actually touch the disc below. However some printable discs don’t have these spacers.

Could some sharpie writing on one disc affect the recording surface of a disc stacked on top? Personally I doubt it. Even permanent ink can usually be cleaned off with a damp cloth or a tiny bit of IPA. Make sure the ink is dry before stacking them.

well… I’ve read that light can cause deterioration, so the clear sides of spindles that let in light could be problematic.

I store mine in spindles and tuck them away in a non-transparent storage box. You can lower the amount of hassle by categorising your disks or indexing them on a computer.

With Sharpies, only use the ones specifically designated for CD/DVD media.

Light won’t cause issues, unless it is in direct sunlight (UV).