Store DVD movies on Kaleidescape Server for 27,000 dollars

I just posted the article Store DVD movies on Kaleidescape Server for 27,000 dollars.

Start saving your pennies. The price may seem a bit high at first glance, especially if you decide that you need to expand the system to hold 400 movies rather than 160. That brings the …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7364-Store-DVD-movies-on-Kaleidescape-Server-for-27000-dollars.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7364-Store-DVD-movies-on-Kaleidescape-Server-for-27000-dollars.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Useless crap! Oh well, back to SVCD conversion…

SVCD conversion…what’s all that about…? If I’m not mistaken, you can playback DVDs that have been ripped to a hard drive with any of the common software DVD players? But do correct me if I’m wrong since I have no DVD playback software on my PC. Therefore you could easily build a box that’ll do the same as this for a fraction of the price. It may not be quite as slick…but perhaps, maybe if some from Intervideo et al reads this post, a little light bulb maybe switched on…an appropriate package developed that sits on (dare I say it) Windows, and it might just might, come with a remote control and menu system… Let’s face it a technology like this isn’t rocket science, infact I’m quite sure an enterprising developer into movies enough could probably develop it for themselves… :d

PowerDVD plays DVD files from any source, as long as the media can supply the data fast enough. An external USB2 hdd and a ripper does the same thing, and you could pocket $ 36700 !

Seems very expensive as a propietary very restricted solution. Assuming 160 x 7.5GB average size DVDs, this will require about 1200GB of space. A 300GB Firwire/USB2 external hard drive costs from 350 Euro in Ireland, thus four (1200GB) will cost about 1,400 Euro. One can buy a basic new PC with USB2 support, a USB2 hub, four of these drives (chained by firwire or connnected to a USB2 hub), blue casing LEDs for that extra effect :X and obtain DVD ripping and playback software. All this would cost no more than 2,000 Euro while being easily transportable; no trolley required! :stuck_out_tongue: One final thing : Implementing all this high tech any-copy mesures in this server is seriously a waste of effort and resources as if one can afford this server, they can certainly afford well over 100 legitmate DVDs to fill it without paying more than 1/10th the sytem cost. Anyway, I doubt that this security would stop someone from popping in a rental or friend’s DVD.
[edited by seanbyrne on 16.12.2003 18:19]

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury…I rest my case… Just add in some functionailty and you got yourself a movie playing PC backing up station betcha pro-pirates operate in much the same way, except they’re copying the movies not watching them!