Stopped reading certain Verbatim Media Codes

I’ve been trying for about a week, various attempts to fix this strange problem that has resurfaced recently. It involves MCC 003 and 004 media, burned or blank. For whatever reason it does not read or recognize this media anymore. It will read MKM 003 and YUDEN000-T02 discs, but not burned YUDEN000-T02. I also noticed that my AS database is empty, which is not something I’ve seen before. Basically I’ve tried reflashing the the same firmware (I was using 1.08, the last FW for this drive), downgrading and upgrading, installing Plextools Professional XL after uninstalling the LE version, and countless times retrying blank or filled discs.

When this happened to this drive before, I simply put in a blank disc from a brand new spindle, and for whatever reason, that media code was readable again from my drive.

Thanks if you can help this poor soul out!

[QUOTE=marcus113;2495042]

When this happened to this drive before, I simply put in a blank disc from a brand new spindle, and for whatever reason, that media code was readable again from my drive.[/QUOTE]

Blank media cannot be read, there is nothing to read on them.

Recognizing blank media is another topic.

Insert a blank disc after starting imgburn and then check out the media info section.

[QUOTE=chef;2495796]
Insert a blank disc after starting imgburn and then check out the media info section.[/QUOTE]
I did that, but couldn’t find the ‘media info section’. Is it the same as the Device tab I took a SS of in my attachment?

The key would be the message “Tracking Servo Failure”. By definition this is a hardware failure (but i think it can also be caused by bad media, making the drive think it cannot properly track).

The hardware part involved would be the sled of the optical pickup unit that moves across the disc to follow the data track. The message wants to say that the drive thinks it cannot drive the sled as it should be able to. As for the cause, there are multiple possibilities from the flat ribbon cable that feeds the power to the motor being not properly connected; the drive mechanism being damaged or simply the rail that guides the sled being in need of a little grease/oil.

Look here for a picture: http://club.myce.com/f43/712a-died-232572/#post1939301

You can see the driving motor at the bottom right, the driving mechanism being below the metal to the left of it (only a white part with spring visible).

Yo, sounds bad.