OK youse guys/gals/undecideds, here’s the straight skinny.
I’ve got an awkward LVW 5027HC+ which either has a filthy optical drive “eye” OR a second rate disposable drive. It has the standard "suddenly not seeing dvd’s " problem. After much digging around and long distance calls to Belgium I discovered that my ebay item had been “re-furbished” and sold to the seller without warrantee… who then sold it to me with the warrantee data in tiny print.
HOWEVER, the actual refurbisher has told me that they will KINDLY send me a replacement drive for just a coupla quid and some postage.
Fair enuff, right?
so-my questions are as follows…
- how will I determine the manufacturer and model of the defective drive currently in the machine?
- How will I determine whether the drive that they’re sending me is any better, or should I look forward to doing this all over again in another coupla months when the new drive dies?
- On my machine, after I got it, I did the region hack. Could that have made the machine gradually give up the ghost, opticaldrive-wise?
- Do I NEED to upgrade the firmware on either drive or, if it does all the stuff that I want it to do, can I just leave well enough alone?
- The machine sits at the bottom of a stack of cable boxes, vcrs, dvd player and audio gear… could this weight/insulation have caused the problems and should I maybe consider moving it to the top of the pile - It’ll look weird and drive me crazy so I’d rather not, but if it’s help the little devil to work right, I’ll go for it and suck up the FengShui kharma.
- Are there, anywhere on this forum, detailed instructions for removing the drive in this baby (pics would help also)?
- In the event that the “new” drive is the same as the dead one, should I bother with the replacement or just get a better drive, and if so, which one can anyone recommend… I’ve tried (honest) to decipher the jargon on this site but sometimes it gets a tad tech for an old guy with glasses and no knowledge of Flashing, hacking, firmware etc…
thanks an elephantful to everyone for the time and assistance…
After I dissasemble the machine to remove the drive - which I don’t wanna do 'til the new drive arrives, I shall do the thorough cleaning job, carefully described on thses pages. If that fixes the probs, I’ll post and let you know.