Stock Firmware for Liteon ihas 124 rev F

vbimport

Hello Guys,

can anybody provide me with sock firmware for Liteon ihas 124 rev F , Manufactured 2015/09/02 CL98 , i can’t find any on the internet.

What exactly is improved in CL98, compared to earlier versions like CL08 or CL06 ?

I’m note sure what is the difference

I just upgraded my iHAS124 F drive’s firmware to CL09 via smartpack.

On the firmware thread here, there’s mention of a CL99 firmware upgrade also for iHAS124 F drives.

After upgrading to CL09, I ran smartpack again but nothing new showed up. (ie. CL99 didn’t show up at all).

On another thread on here, czary2mary1 mentioned the CL98 firmware was present on iHAS124 F models with a manufacturing date around December 2015 and January 2016.

Wonder if the CL98 models have some slightly different design than the previous models manufactured with a CL08 or CL06 (or CL07 or CL05) firmware.

I think the 9 in CL98 or CL99 might be a ‘beta’ type flag.

CL09 comes with BootFW 0L0C and CL99 comes with BootFW 0L9D.
D should mean it’s the successor to C, and as I say, the 9 is possibly a beta type flag.

All 3 are now up on FirmwareHQ

(On a huge speculative tangent).

@czary2mary1

Does your December 2015 / January 2016 CL98 drive have “M-DISC” written anywhere on it ?

I noticed on my iHAS124 FU CL06 drive (with a May 2015 manufacturing date) has “M-DISC” written on the sticker on the bottom of the drive. Also your pictures from the iHAS124/324 F thread, shows that your iHAS124 FU CL08 drive (with a September 2015 manufacturing date) also has “M-DISC” written on the sticker on the bottom of the drive.

On the other hand, my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive (with a September 2015 manufacturing date) doesn’t have “M-DISC” written anywhere on it. I flashed the iHAS124 F CL08 firmware to this asus drive, and it appears to work fine.

Also my iHAS124 EUV drive (with a November 2014 manufacturing date) does not have “M-DISC” written anywhere on it. According to the official list of “M-DISC” approved drives, only the iHAS124 EU appears on this list.

http://www.mdisc.com/m-ready/

(I don’t know how often they update this “M-DISC” approved drives list).

This may be wild guess on my part, but I am speculating the difference between the CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 and CL98/CL99 series of firmwares might have to do with “M-DISC”.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2770246](On a huge speculative tangent).

Also my iHAS124 EUV drive (with a November 2014 manufacturing date) does not have “M-DISC” written anywhere on it. According to the official list of “M-DISC” approved drives, only the iHAS124 EU appears on this list.

http://www.mdisc.com/m-ready/

(I don’t know how often they update this “M-DISC” approved drives list).[/QUOTE]

(Rambling post).

The only semi-plausible reasons I can think of offhand for LiteOn dropping M-DISC support on the iHAS124 EUV drives, would be the “E” series product cycle was coming to an end and LiteOn didn’t want to pay any further “M-DISC” royalties on E series drives.

The first post on the iHAS124/324 F thread here, mentions the iHAS324 F CL15 firmware has a date of November 28, 2014.

So possibly my particular iHAS124 EUV drive (with a November 2014 manufacturing date), might have been from one of the last few batches of “E” series drives manufactured.

(In terms of timeline).

The first post on the iHAS124/324 E thread which mentions anything about the “EUV” model, was on September 28, 2014.

The first post on the iHAS124/324 F thread here was on March 15, 2015, which infers the first “F” series iHAS 124/324 drives were probably manufactured sometime during November 2014 -> early-2015.

Perhaps a sign to watch for which foreshadows a new (hypothetical) “G” series of iHAS124/324 drives to hit the market, would be to see when LiteOn drops M-DISC support in the current “F” series of iHAS124/324 drives.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2770241]
CL09 comes with [B]BootFW 0L0C[/B] and CL99 comes with [B]BootFW 0L9D[/B].
D should mean it’s the successor to C, and as I say, the 9 is possibly a beta type flag.[/QUOTE]

(In addition).

I don’t know where exactly the BootFW is in a particular firmware’s binary file.

But with that being said, I just opened up the CL08 bin file in a text editor, and found the string “0L0C” in three different places.

Similarly for CL98, I found “0L9C” in three different places in the CL98 bin file.

(For that matter).

Other unencrypted F series firmwares still available on this forum, with (alleged) BootFW code strings appearing three times in the bin file.

iHAS122 F EL02 —> 0L0B

iHAS324 F CL17 —> 0L1C

(For comparison purposes).

Some earlier unencrypted firmwares still available on this forum of “E” series models/rebadges, with (alleged) BootFW codes appearing three times in bin file.

iHAS124 E 4L04 —> 0L08

Asus DRW-24B1ST i 1.00 —> 0A28

(The Asus DRW-24B1ST appears to be an iHAS324 E rebadge).

(Ad Nauseum).

Asus DRW-24B1ST j —> 0A2B

This ^ appears to be a F series rebadge, but not known which model it is a rebadge of.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2770246](On a huge speculative tangent).

@czary2mary1

Does your December 2015 / January 2016 CL98 drive have “M-DISC” written anywhere on it ?

This may be wild guess on my part, but I am speculating the difference between the CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 and CL98/CL99 series of firmwares might have to do with “M-DISC”.[/QUOTE]

Ok. My wild guess ^ is completely wrong.

Today at lunch time, I passed by a nearby computer store and noticed they had LiteOn drives on sale. Foolishly, I did an “impulse buy” of an iHAS124-FU drive with an October 2015 manufacturing date.

This particular drive had “M-DISC” written on the sticker on the bottom of the drive.

It also came with a default CL98 firmware.

So it appears the CL98 firmware series of drives have been in circulation for awhile already.

So the mystery still remains as to what the differences are between the CL08 and CL98 series of drives.

Both drives must be technically identical when run on both versions of the firmware.
The firmware CL98 \ CL99 is something credited \ extended …

[QUOTE=jcroy;2770246]
On the other hand, my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive (with a September 2015 manufacturing date) …

I flashed the iHAS124 F CL08 firmware to this asus drive, and it appears to work fine.

[/QUOTE]

I decided to change the firmware on my ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive from CL09 to CL99, just to see what happens.

Apparently smartpack doesn’t do anything starting from CL09. So I first flashed the CL98 firmware to the DRW-24F1ST c drive, and then ran smartpack. This time around, smartpack recognizes the CL98 firmware and updates it to CL99.

So LiteOn appears to be strictly enforcing the CL99.exe upgrade, to only iHAS124 F drives which can be identified as CL98. Perhaps this suggests some slight differences in the hardware between CL08/CL09 and CL98/CL99 series?

(This is strictly anecdotal and not entirely definitive).

I did notice one big thing with the CL99 firmware.

With the CL08 firmware on the DRW-24F1ST c drive, the one big thing I noticed was that every time a dvd disc was inserted, but before the disc is read, the drive would make a distinct transient sound which sounded like a “spark discharging” (for lack of a better description). This happened with every single dvd disc I ripped on my DRW-24F1ST c drive with the CL08 firmware. (For that matter, the same “spark discharging sound” also happened with the CL09 firmware).

After updating my DRW-24F1ST c drive to the CL99 firmware, this “spark discharging sound” doesn’t happen anymore when a dvd disc is first inserted into the drive, but before the disc is read. (I didn’t bother testing my drive with the CL98 firmware).

This is highly suggestive of the hardware being slightly different, between the CL08/CL09 and CL98/CL99 series. (Though not definitive).

At this point, I strongly suspect my Asus DRW-24F1ST c drive (with a September 2015 manufacturing date) might possibly have been a CL98 drive all along, but I didn’t know about it back in early-February.

Slow your roll regarding the E series drive (this is going off topic, but why not address it).

The M-Disc list isn’t exhaustive, but includes base drives & from there you can sort of assume. Example: Pioneer’s BDR-208 and 209 drives should all be able to burn M-Disc BD-R, but only 2 or 3 specific models from each line up are listed. (There are more than 3 versions of each). We also see two F-series LiteOn drives listed, but not the main retail iHAS124 F.

I’m not going to dismiss the presence or disappearance of the M-Disc logo from the label, but I am going to say that drive labels are sometimes incorrect or incomplete these days.

E/EU/EUV drives should have the same features. Quoting czary2mary, “All models LiteOn IHAS markings C-CU \ D-DU \ E-EU-EUV \ F-FU\ W-WU \ X-XU differs only in the type of casing.” So aesthetic differences (and maybe cost cutting differences, or resource use differences) but the same features. (And the same firmware. All types report themselves to the computer in the same manner - just as an E).

Likewise, it would be unfortunate if LiteOn produced an iHAS124 F that supported M-Disc, and one that did not. That would warrant a model number change, going by the way they’ve acted in the past.

For LiteOn to change build numbers does indicate some difference, but not a feature difference unless it was meant for a specific OEM (and in that case the drive ID string would be different or the numbering scheme for the firmware would be different - not CLxy).

Now different hardware with interchangeable but slightly different firmware? That has happened before with LiteOn. The old DH20A4P drives had two different OPUs and technically should use two different firmware builds (though the version numbers remained the same), but using the wrong firmware wasn’t harmful. (Using the ‘wrong’ firmware would result in a difference in burn quality, but no failure of any sort).

As for your sound…does it strictly only occur when you insert a disc? Or does it also occur when you do not insert a disc? // And for CL9x, when you say the noise occurs “before reading”, do you mean…before the disc shows up in the operating system? Or after the disc shows up, but before you read from the beginning of the disc to the end?

[QUOTE=Albert;2770335]

As for your sound…does it strictly only occur when you insert a disc? Or does it also occur when you do not insert a disc?[/QUOTE]

Only when a disc is inserted.

[QUOTE=Albert;2770335]
// And for CL9x, when you say the noise occurs “before reading”, do you mean…before the disc shows up in the operating system? Or after the disc shows up, but before you read from the beginning of the disc to the end?[/QUOTE]

Before the disc starts spinning.

This “spark discharging sound” only happened on my DRW-24F1ST c drive with the CL08 and CL09 firmware. The “spark discharging sound” is absent with the CL99 firmware.

Interesting… I wish it was safe to operate the drive with no lid, but can’t have anyone doing that. :disagree:

shrugs I look forward to hearing all your hypotheses, theories, and discoveries. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2770341]Interesting… I wish it was safe to operate the drive with no lid, but can’t have anyone doing that. :disagree:

shrugs I look forward to hearing all your hypotheses, theories, and discoveries. :)[/QUOTE]

Most of it is just my stream of consciousness type of incoherent rambling. Lots of it turns out to be incorrect in the end. :slight_smile:

For now, this Asus DRW-24F1ST c drive is my “sandbox” to play around with.

My other iHAS124 drives (both E and F) I’ve been using as my primary and secondary workhorse drives for ripping a lot of dvds.

[QUOTE=Albert;2770335]E/EU/EUV drives should have the same features. Quoting czary2mary, “All models LiteOn IHAS markings C-CU \ D-DU \ E-EU-EUV \ F-FU\ W-WU \ X-XU differs only in the type of casing.” So aesthetic differences (and maybe cost cutting differences, or resource use differences) but the same features. (And the same firmware. All types report themselves to the computer in the same manner - just as an E).[/QUOTE]

At times I wonder if the “M-DISC” licensing is largely paying for the right to use the M-DISC logo, and getting an official hardware test + approval from the M-DISC people.

I suspect even if the “M-DISC” logo is missing from my E series models/rebadges, the “M-DISC” functionality might possibly still be there. My guess it would probably cost more to take it out of the drive’s design, than just only removing the M-DISC logo from the drive. (ie. Paying the engineers overtime, etc …).

My iHAS124 EUV drive with a November 2014 manufacturing date came with a default 4L08 firmware. According to firmwarehq, the 4L08 firmware was released as a general upgrade for E series drives during July 2014 via smartpack. If I had to guess, a general E series wide firmware upgrade probably would not disable M-DISC deliberately.