Still using SONY (lite-on) CD Writer!

I have little to no interest in burning DVDs. I burn a lot of CDs on my Sony CRX230ae (ee?)[firmware 2ys3?] and get great results: usually .05 -.15 C1 errors. What I want to know is there any advantage to burning MUSIC on DVD MEDIA (other than cost)? I like having my CDs backed up on one (at most 2 on one CDr if they fit) I spend a lot of time alphabetizing and labeling my collection and use Music CDs (Taiyo Yuden) to contribute to the copyright fund. There are fewer and fewer CD writers’s available and I’d like to know what the best DVD writer replacement would be. Final question is can you get results as good on DVD media (drives)as you can on CD media using EAC and Burrrn (or similar software). Thanks.

About advantages of DVD - it’s just obvious: 4,38 GB vs 0.7 GB space, ability to burn with as great results as with CDs, even better sometimes. Won’t give further comments.
I’ll better speak of disadvantages of CDs.
First of all, abit of technical info: the recording layer of a CD is situated on the top surface of its 1,2 mm polycarbonate layer, so you can easily scratch/detach/scrape it off. The DVD’s layer is situated between two 0,6 mm polycarbonate layers, that makes it less vulnerable to various kinds of human and Nature influence.
The second point is about the CD-Audio format: my opinion is partially here. And some extra thought on the same problem: I think, keeping your Audio content in good old PCM WAVE format, recorded to a good and trusted DVD+/-R (or even on two of them, of different manufacturers) is still the best choice here, since you would be able to know that the Audio data has NO CHANGES over time if it is fully readable and so on…

Hi,

What do you expect from that? You might use DVD media as additional backup for archival, but at least for playback you still need good-ol’ CD-R. If you want to save some money, then get CD-R media for data :slight_smile:
I personally am not ready to rely only on DVD media for content that has some value for me. In that case, I still use quality CD-R media (two different manufacturers) and maybe a quality DVD+/-R as additional backup. It doesn’t matter, if this is music or photos.
If a DVD goes bad, then ~4 GB are lost. With CD-R, I would lose only 0.7 or so.

There are fewer and fewer CD writers’s available and I’d like to know what the best DVD writer replacement would be.
There is no problem to use a DVD writer for writing CD-R, provided you get a DVD writer, that is excellent with CD-R. And you need that as you surely want to create audio-CDs from the archive that was written on DVD discs.

Final question is can you get results as good on DVD media (drives)as you can on CD media using EAC and Burrrn (or similar software).
You can’t really compare that. With a good DVD writer and quality media, you have nearly the same quality as the same data (Yes, data, not audio) stored on your HDD. For audio playback on your home stereo (Yes, i know, you are very picky about that :D), this does not matter at all since you probably still need CD media.

Michael

:confused: I appreciate your answering my questions. Jig6666 and you gave an opinion which seems to differ somewhat as far as trusting music media to DVD format. I don’t mind paying 60 Cents for a Maxell (Taiyo Yuden) Music disc. Where I live they sell for $4.58 (incl. tax) at retail stores (believe it or not)! It seems you agree that “storage” of audio information is as good on DVD as CD (Jig says better?). The cost of DVD media is far lower here in Canada and perhaps it makes sense to store discs on DVD and then burn them to CD when needed (as you seemed to be saying Michael). The legal issue hasn’t been addressed and perhaps I am paranoid, but recent news about individual’s file sharing charges and what I consider innocent personal use copying is only getting worse. “Music” CDrs technically allow for a legal copy of any CD you own (and then perhaps sell the original?). I would hate to have my entire disc collection confiscated on the grounds that it had been burnt “illegally”, if the copyright fascists ever get the power they are seeking. This may not be the forum for this discussion but I am seeking the best way (everything considered) to keep, play conveniently and preserve indefinitely a large music collection. The included image is what I am looking for on CDs but if there is some factor that is important and missing (which DVD’s rectify) then I want to know about it and will switch to DVD for storage. I suppose I am also considering the initial cost of a new computer to get the best use out of the DVD burner. I guess the real question is , all things considered, is it worth it to spend a thousand dollars on a new computer to be able to store all future music on DVD?!

quote:“There is no problem to use a DVD writer for writing CD-R, provided you get a DVD writer, that is excellent with CD-R.”

Which one would you suggest if I break down and buy a new system & which OS?

Hi,

Yes. Opinions always differ. :bigsmile:

I don’t mind paying 60 Cents for a Maxell (Taiyo Yuden) Music disc. Where I live they sell for $4.58 (incl. tax) at retail stores (believe it or not)!
Just checked: The price for 10 TDK Audio CD-R (Jewelcase) here in germany is 5,40€ (~7,90 CAD). Not really an option unless a home stereo unit is used. But okay, this isn’t the point.

It seems you agree that “storage” of audio information is as good on DVD as CD (Jig says better?).
I personally don’t see, why DVD media should be better. The only advantage is, that the surface might be better protected. But due to the smaller structures on DVD, the risk of losing information might be higher.
The cost of DVD media is far lower here in Canada and perhaps it makes sense to store discs on DVD and then burn them to CD when needed (as you seemed to be saying Michael).
Yes, that is my opinion. And - as I already mentioned - you have to create an audio CD if you want to play the music you have stored on you hifi equipment. Regarding the price for blank media, I would compare DVD with data CD discs as the additional taxes for the starving “Content Industry” are comparable then.

The legal issue hasn’t been addressed (…)
Legal issues? That’s really hard.
“Music” CDrs technically allow for a legal copy of any CD you own (and then perhaps sell the original?).
No, you still have to keep your originals.
At least here in germany, there is no difference if I use data discs or “for audio” media. I am allowed to make personal backups of the music di

I would hate to have my entire disc collection confiscated on the grounds that it had been burnt “illegally”, if the copyright fascists ever get the power they are seeking. This may not be the forum for this discussion but I am seeking the best way (everything considered) to keep, play conveniently and preserve indefinitely a large music collection. The included image is what I am looking for on CDs but if there is some factor that is important and missing (which DVD’s rectify) then I want to know about it and will switch to DVD for storage. I suppose I am also considering the initial cost of a new computer to get the best use out of the DVD burner. I guess the real question is , all things considered, is it worth it to spend a thousand dollars on a new computer to be able to store all future music on DVD?!

quote:“There is no problem to use a DVD writer for writing CD-R, provided you get a DVD writer, that is excellent with CD-R.”

Which one would you suggest if I break down and buy a new system & which OS?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes. Opinions always differ. :bigsmile:

I don’t mind paying 60 Cents for a Maxell (Taiyo Yuden) Music disc. Where I live they sell for $4.58 (incl. tax) at retail stores (believe it or not)!
Just checked: The price for 10 TDK Audio CD-R (Jewelcase) here in germany is 5,40€ (~7,90 CAD). Not really an option unless a home stereo unit is used. But okay, this isn’t the point.

It seems you agree that “storage” of audio information is as good on DVD as CD (Jig says better?).
I personally don’t see, why DVD media should be better. The only advantage is, that the surface might be better protected. But due to the smaller structures on DVD, the risk of losing information might be higher.
The cost of DVD media is far lower here in Canada and perhaps it makes sense to store discs on DVD and then burn them to CD when needed (as you seemed to be saying Michael).
Yes, that is my opinion. And - as I already mentioned - you have to create an audio CD if you want to play the music you have stored on you hifi equipment. Regarding the price for blank media, I would compare DVD with data CD discs as the additional taxes for the starving “Content Industry” are comparable then.

The legal issue hasn’t been addressed (…)
Legal issues? That’s really hard.
“Music” CDrs technically allow for a legal copy of any CD you own (and then perhaps sell the original?).
No, you still have to keep your originals.
At least here in germany, there is no difference if I use data discs or “for audio” media. I am allowed to make personal backups of the music discs, I have bought. It does not matter, what media I am using for that.

I guess the real question is , all things considered, is it worth it to spend a thousand dollars on a new computer to be able to store all future music on DVD?!
Not necessarily. IMHO.

[quote]“There is no problem to use a DVD writer for writing CD-R, provided you get a DVD writer, that is excellent with CD-R.”

Which one would you suggest if I break down and buy a new system & which OS?[/QUOTE]I really like my outdated LG 4163 (4167 is similar) with TY CD-R media. No drive im my setup is better. Unfortunately, I have no recommendation for a recent drive, as the reviews are mostly incomplete in my book. In addition, many newer drives (not all, hopefully) are only average CD writers.
Regarding your question about the OS: I am running W2k on my box. Newer Windows flavours annoy with “Activation”, DRM and so on. Maybe having a look at Linux isn’t a bad idea :wink:

Michael
@Moderators: Please delete post #5 as it is br0ken. Thanks.

Quote: No, you still have to keep your originals.
At least here in germany, there is no difference if I use data discs or “for audio” media. I am allowed to make personal backups of the music discs, I have bought. It does not matter, what media I am using for that.

Thanks for the knowledgeable and detailed reply Michael. The issue with the “music” discs (at least here in Canada) is that there has been a Royalty tax of some sort built into the price of Music discs for standalone recorders. There is no other reason to buy a disc for $4.60 except to insure you are paying into the royalty fund. I realize standalone recorders allow you to record without a computer but my computer cost the same as my standalone pioneer pdr509! I got them both for about a hundred dollars! I realize legal issues are murky but what happens if someone steals your original retail CDs and leaves your CDrs? Are you then obliged to throw out your copies? The whole point of the original Royalty fund was to pay a fee (that would be distributed to the artists according to sales figures) for making a digital copy of an original CD. As you are likely aware you can only make one digital copy on a standalone. You can’t copy the copy except through the analog inputs.( I defy most people to hear the difference blindfolded!) Anyway it’s an interesting situation if you use the “Music only” discs, I don’t think the industry had any idea how to handle the computer CD writer boom! I really don’t know what to do if all my originals get stolen! :cop: :sad:

PS, I have an LG GSA-4165B. Do you know what the difference is and if I can use the firmware updates for the other models? ( Ican’t find any for this model) Right now it’s hooked up to a 1.1 USB connection (external housing). If I want to use it I’ll Have to get a secondary hard drive and make it an internal burner ( or upgrade with a 2.0 card but it would still be slow wouldn’t it? The learning curve on DVD burning is a bit of a drag as I don’t really care about saving movies or games.