Still pictures from DVD

I don’t know if I’m in the right forum, or even the right place.

I have a dvd that I want to be able to take individual clips from, to make pictures. Does anyone know of a program that will do this, or somewhere I can go to find out?

Thank you,
Gary

There are several free media players that can take snapshots from your video. Two that I know of are VLC and Media Player Classic HomeCinema.

In VLC the default command is Ctrl + Alt + S. (hit all three of those keys at once). Probably best to pause where you want the snapshot of course. It will be saved in My Pictures.

If you want a small movie clip, where you have more than just one still image, it is possible to cut out a section of a dvd using DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode and use the Begin/End frame tool.

DVDShrink is very much outdated as a decryption tool, so your dvd may have more advanced protection than it can handle on its own. If that is the case, rip the dvd to the hard drive first, using the free trial for DVDFab. There is a free section within DVDFab, called DVDFab HD Decrypter, that will continue to work as a ripping and decryption program for you even after the trial ends.

Thanks very much Kerry.

I use Cyberlink’s PowerDVD for video-captures because it has a Step-Forward/Back button that I can move, practically frame-by-frame, to ensure I capture just the right moment. Then, I just tap “C” to capture, frame by frame, if I want.

To be honest, I never would pay for the retail version of any Cyberlink product because I don’t like them, as a vendor. But sometimes I find Burners including an OEM version of PowerDVD (v7+ is friendly to Win7&8), and there are software websites that claim to sell OEM disks in the $10 range. It’s worth that price to me because I’ve never see this Step-Forward/Back feature offered by other players.

If I can’t get PowerDVD, then I resort to VLC and accept that Pause Stops will be good enough.

(EDIT: Cyberlink has removed good features from PowerDVD - versions 5 and before offered manual Quality Settings for captures, but 7 and above have only Good/Better/Best settings, none of which are as crisp as the manual offerings. Dumbing Down strikes again.)

Thanks. I eventually downloaded a trial version of PowerDVD and that worked very well.

I appreciate the help.

Gary

I saw that NewEgg had an OEM PowerDVD 12 for sub-$15.