Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

vbimport

I agree rolling56 but its not paper, so I dont know if it will degrade and shred over time, for the life of me i cant get one of these polyester labels off, im tryin, lol

they are mainly backups for my daughter to use in her portable dvd player, not in our home theatre

yeah i know…i’m just saying it will throw the drive out of balance while spinning thus causing high Jitter rates at crucial high speed Jitter tests.

I just reripped some two year old burns with paper adhesive labels on them today with not problems what so ever…this was a classic rookie mistake when I first started dabbling with burning movies, but have since graduated to an Epson R320 and printable media. The results are much better than paper.

I have made about 400 copys and havent had any problems useing the Memorex Labels i buy @ Walmart $10.00 for 120 labels.

The memorex paper labels I used originally definately didnt work in my stand alone players (3 of them). I would get the dreaded green blocks and eventuall dvd freeze. All of these movies were burnt on TY02 media. I took the labels off and they worked fine.

Just curious, are you talking about TYG02 (-R) or YUDEN000T02 (+R)? There is no such MID as “TY02”…

YUDEN000-T02-00 as shown in IMGBURN / YUDEN000 T02 (000) as shown in CD/DVD SPEED …sony MIJ, sorry for the confusion

I’ve put paper labels on over a 100 DVDs, and I’ll eventually take them all off.

I liked the idea of having nice labels, as opposed to hand-written titles with a Sharpie. When I make my own mix CDs, I like nice color labels on them.

Anyhow, most movies with paper labels wouldn’t play until I removed the paper label. I peel off what I can by hand, spray the rest with Goo Gone, De-Solv-It, or something similar. Every disc that wouldn’t play with a label on it played fine once the label was removed. I’ve NEVER had to re-burn a disc.

I use a Sharpie now, and don’t give a rat’s ass about fancy labels on my movies, at least not until someone makes labels that work.

I have had audio CDs with playback errors in the last several tracks. Maybe it was the labels I used, I don’t know. Some labeled discs played fine for years, some never played well at all.

Paper must be a bad thing.

yeah paper reacts to temp and humidity.

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=8&SID=25&PID=1011&FID=154&opento=8

Sharpie is the way to go, but if you do want to use labels, these work rather well…no paper!

[QUOTE=beachbumm;2015604]http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=8&SID=25&PID=1011&FID=154&opento=8

Sharpie is the way to go, but if you do want to use labels, these work rather well…no paper![/QUOTE]A couple of years ago, Memorex published the most complete and comprehensive article on the issue of sticky labels on optical media. (Link and excerpt int the first post of this thread)

Maybe then their own special labels are OK then, who knows. Are you an actual uers of these, [B]beachbumm[/B]?

Personally, I’ll ‘stick’… with inkjet printable media. :bigsmile: - are the Canon Pixma still sold [I]without [/I]the CD tray in the US? :frowning:

yes Francksoy, I am a user of these labels…I havent had a problem with them yet.
if you reference post 99 & 101 you’ll realize this

[QUOTE=beachbumm;2016726]yes Francksoy, I am a user of these labels…I havent had a problem with them yet.
if you reference post 101 you’ll realize this[/QUOTE]I always say if it’s not broke don’t fix it but use paper labels with caution.

I tried paper labels, ugh…had to take em all off…I’d never recommend using them.

dont use labels now decided to use lightscribe much better!! shame the drives are not faster at burning the images

Paper labels screw up CDs too - as I found out to my peril when rescanning my stash of media. I had always thought it was ok to use them on CDs, but a rash of yellow (Damaged) blocks in Nero CD DVD ScanDisc - that I got rid of when I scratched off the label - convinced me otherwise.

Moral of the story - if you have any packs of paper labels, throw them out the window.

As for me, I just got some LightScribe discs and I’m waiting for my new LightScribe drive to get here.

[QUOTE=Bob;1883130]yeah i know…i’m just saying it will throw the drive out of balance while spinning thus causing high Jitter rates at crucial high speed Jitter tests.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. That is what I think of first when this sort of topic comes up.

If the label is thick and heavy enough and the disc spins fast enough, the wobble could get so bad that the disc could actually explode (well, no so much explode as shatter) and put a nice, large dent in the drive. MythBusters did it a few years ago. Granted they had to resort to using a drill spinning at 15,000 RPM, but it wasn’t imbalanced. Wobbling causes discs to break much easier than speed alone, so an imbalanced disc could shatter at a lower speed.

Going back over my media stockpile, I found several more CDs that were either damaged albeit recoverrably, or FUBARred, and had matte labels on. Defo gonna throw out the rest of my paper labels now.

Lightscribe (or a disc printer + printable discs if that’s what floats your boat) FTW!

[QUOTE=beachbumm;2015604]http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=8&SID=25&PID=1011&FID=154&opento=8

Sharpie is the way to go, but if you do want to use labels, these work rather well…no paper![/QUOTE]

Does anyone know where I can get these shipped to Ireland? The Memorex shop only does USA and Canada :doh:

Bought a PressIt kit a few years ago.

Used it on half a dozen CD-Rs (Linux CDs). After a month, not a single one of those discs was still readable.

Never again.

I’ve since migrated to a LightScribe burner (actually two, a Liteon LH-20A1H desktop drive and an LG GSA-E50L USB bus-powered portable) and recently (last week) bought a Canon iP4600 and a stack of Verbatim printable discs. The Linux install discs have never looked so good! :slight_smile: