Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

vbimport

any insight on HP lightscribe media???

Wow. I bought some labels to do some last minute Christmas stuff and holy crap - they suck! Every disc (only did 10, thank the maker) was [I]completely[/I] unreadable. I’ll just wait 'til my printable media gets here Tuesday. I’d rather gift late than gift crap. I’ll be returning this junk to the store.

I used Matte-finish Memorex CD Label Refills. I used an empty spindle to align the labels then carefully, slowly, and firmly applied them to avoid bubbles.

It’s worth mentioning that the hub-ring label works fine. Here’s an 8x scan for “baseline” and a 16x scan I tried as a “stress” test, both with the center label on. Typical, acceptable scans from my drive. (Disc burned on an LG 4166@8x).

Still, these scans are sub-par for Taiyo Yuden media :frowning:

I use labels extensively, but only for copies of DVD movies that are given to the kids… If you have children, you know that original discs stand no chance against the young ones… So now I am keeping the originals and giving them copies… I would be shocked if the DVD label causes failure before the disc gets too scratched to be readable anyways :wink: Onde it happens, I just reburn another copy and label it so it will look nice gain… until it gets too scratched to be usable. Repeat cycle as needed :smiley:

I have never used labels for data, but not because they cause problems. I don’t use them because I was always afraid of the heat causing the labels to bubble and ruin the drive :stuck_out_tongue:

Well i am peeved. I actually joined to try to find out how to align a certain brand of paper cd labeller i have bought only to find this above - EEEEEEEEEK-
I have just labelled almost all my dvd’s and bought the Fellowes NEATO press and 100 pack label paper - [I]AND[/I] a new printer [I]and [/I] spare colour cartidges [B]:’’’’’([/B] So even tho everyone says 'Don’t do it" are ya really really sure ?? ok ok i am grasping here…lol. Well this really does suck big time.

[I]Also [/I] [U][B]

[B]Jesterrace
Moderator[/B]only an idiot would risk functionality for cosmetic reasons. If you are really that desperate for fancy labels just spend a little bit more and buy Inkjet printable discs as the results are FAR better.

Honestly if ya don’t know ya just don’t know but please don’t expect everyone to know everything unless they are learning and discovering. Your comments are a bit harsh :confused:

Hi DippyMe, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Yes, I can see how seeing this would upset you after labeling a lot of your DVDs. :iagree:
But better late than never, wouldn’t you say?!

You might be one of the lucky ones who don’t experience problems with paper labels on DVDs, but if I were you I would stop using paper labels for future DVDs.

The comment made by Jesterrace was made 10 months ago, so let’s not have a quarrel over this now, please! :wink:

They look sooooooooooo much better :iagree:
Now i will go research the dvd printable disks subject
cos i had no idea about those either. :confused: LOL

Oh the internet ! so full of learning :wink:

thanks for the welcome :flower:

It’s worth while investing in a disc printer if you plan to label a LOT of discs ;)…so far, I’ve resisted 'cos a Sharpie is good enough for my purposes :slight_smile:

As Drage said, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

You want to try my new Canon Pixma iP4300? :wink:

Sure, but if I like it, you might lose it :bigsmile:

:a I’ve had DVD reading problems right from when I started copying DVDs. My copies would only read a couple of times before I started getting read error messages. :Z It left me puzzled: what on earth was causing this phenomenon?
I never imagined the fancy labels I used could be the cause.
Now I now from experience and I can’t repeat enough: labels are bad, bad, bad! Evil! Evil!! Evil!!! :eek:
Shoo! Vade retro, Satanas.

Strip them off and it may be that the problems relieve. :slight_smile:

But don’t try the same thing with CD media because the reflective layer is only protected by a thin layer of lacquer (and for some older media, not protected at all) so it’s easy to damage.

I’m assuming most of the sticky labels that are causing problems with DVD media are the full circle type.

What about paper labeling the center only with the smaller inner labels? (the kind that label just the inner 1/2 inch or so of the disc)

I usually put paper labels on DVDs (inner small circular label too) and never had problems…
In two cases unreadable DVDs (a lot of freezes during playback on my home player) became perfect after labeling !!!
Probably adding paper label increased thermal capacity and/or disc overall mass avoiding some defects of the disc media used…

glad I read about this.I had no idea.I used to use labels on my cd’s,& DVD’s,then I quit because of the cost of the ink.I was just getting ready to put some labels on some DVD’s I backed up.Now I guess I should check on some of my old CD’s and see if they still work,& re burn them if they do.I had no idea,Thanks

Hi [B]coolsystems[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I hope you manage to salvage your CDs and DVDs. :flower:

how can i remove my dvd-r without damging it and having to reburn?

Hi [B]xSkittles[/B], welcome to CD Freaks! :slight_smile:

Just throw away the DVD-R. :wink:
No, j/k, I think you were talking about labels.
Position the DVD-R in a jewel case or another protective surface. Carefully strip off the label from the top surface. That should work. :slight_smile:

Never use paper labels on your media, period. Not only will you increase the risk of having a disc explosion in your drive, but you will for sure shorten the lives of your drives by using them.

Due to the fact that no person on this planet can place the label EXACTLY centered on the disc you will cause the disc to wobble, even if it is very slight. This wobble becomes more apparent to the laser as it moves to the outer edge of the disc. As the wobble becomes more apparent to the laser, the drive will then continue to recalibrate the laser as well as slow down and speed up more than it should have to.

If you compare highway miles to city miles on a car you will notice the same thing. Cars with mostly highway miles (no paper lables and good quality discs) will last significantly longer than cars with city stop and go miles ( paper labels and/or low quality media).

Save yourself the trouble. Dump the paper labels and get a Microboards Print Factory.