Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

vbimport

No problem, best wishes too :slight_smile:

I have NEVER applied labels to my discs. Too many instances across the various forums that I visit, that say it isn’t a wise move. IMHO only an idiot would risk functionality for cosmetic reasons. If you are really that desperate for fancy labels just spend a little bit more and buy Inkjet printable discs as the results are FAR better.

Most of those who use paper labels do this out of ignorance, so I don’t think this comment is really relevant. :confused:

I’ll make one for you.

Reason my my use of labels was just to make the ugly disc look more attractive. I didn’t know a lot about bad discs and label damage back then - thought all would last forever. Only i knew my almost new LiteOn 811 was trash from the beginning :slight_smile:

Also unlike DVDs, CDs have the dye, in general, directly below the printed name on the disc, and so in effect you are putting the label onto the dye layer, and peeling may damage the dye and label can lift off. Apparently there is also something about the chemicals from the glue used on the sticky labels leaching into the dye layer. The dye layer on a DVD is sandwhiched between two plastic discs which are bonded together, thus the label does not come into contact with the dye.

I wasted about 150 DVD’s because of labels. Please don’t use labels - It will ruin your DVDs.

Er… you make it sound like if it was more OK to put labels on DVDRs than on CDRs… :wink: - though it’s the other way round!

CDs have the dye, in general, directly below the printed name on the disc, and so in effect you are putting the label onto the dye layer
This is not 100% correct. It’s the [I]metallic reflective layer[/I] that is just under the label (if any).:wink:

[B]CDR:[/B]

----label or top layer (if any) —
~reflective layer~~
++++recording area (dye)+++++
======polycarbonate========

[B]DVDR[/B] (single layer):

----label or top layer (if any) —
~reflective layer~~
++++recording area (dye)+++++

It took more than an hour to get this long in the scan. Don’t think it would ever finish so i stopped it. Had to switch to LiteOn to get more from the scan and at 1x :slight_smile:

Hmmm - Just from a random test i found some better discs (not sure if they are HP & Mr Platinum branded) with good ole ricoh id. Even if they are older than the crap discs i posted earlier here they seem in pretty good condition despite the full cd label.

ROFL, well i was just checking up on some of my stick label discs, 5 of them are DL discs, double wammy ey? Well when scanning the disc at 4x on my Sony DRX-800UL, and nero cd/dvd speed just hangs at the 3900mb mark LOL. Ok, the disc was CMC DL media, BUT i always get around 90% QS scores and the worst ive got so far is 84%.

I would submit scans from those discs i had sticky labels on, if i had a drive that could now read them. :smiley:

Sticky labels on discs IMO = bad bad bad bad :sad:

LOL :bigsmile:

Sticky labels on discs IMO = bad bad bad bad :sad:
Agreed, :iagree: but I remember having read about special plastic labels that didn’t induce any of the problems we experience with paper labels. So I’m still interested… :slight_smile:

Those sound interesting. :iagree:

I think these are the ones, but I’m not 100% sure… :confused:
http://www.americal.com/pd/313792.html
http://www.cd-dvd-supplies.com/cgi-bin/smart_cart2.cgi?product_id=313792&submit_request_button=yes&sc_db_max_rows_returned=50&cart_id=unknown.wobble.5669938_26882

I think its safe to say, with the labels i had been using that they are alot safer on SL media than DL media. see scan: Oh and before you guys start shouting omg, ‘prOn’!!, its not, its a backup of the spanish film ‘sex and lucia’ :bigsmile:

[OT]

Ah, that Almodovar crap?
(just kidding :wink: great flick!)
[/OT]

[OT] its mildly entertaining, ive seen worse lol[/OT]

I have never had a problem with cd (though it has been ages since I burned but the rare occational cd). I never tried paper labels on dvd because of the rotational speed. Back before 16x media became common, it was said by a few that 16x was the maximum speed because spinning the average polycarbonite disk faster could cause the disk to loose structural integrety, and at that rotational speed, we all know that would be bad. Some of you might have seen a bit fly apart on a dremel, and if you have ever been cut by a metal bit that lost integraty, you know it can be nasty. Of course a dremel turns a bit faster. I went looking for the rotational speed of a dvd (couldn’t remember it) and ran across this pretty quick.
http://www.hitachi.com/New/cnews/040422.html
Looking a bit further, it seems that the rotational speed may be 9200 rpm. Thats fast enough to scare me (keep in mind the small size of a dremel compared to a dvd). With larger tools they become substantially more dangerious, even at speeds slower than that. I really cannot see a paper label holding up to that kind of rpm. Thats why I have never tried it.

Are these labels safe as they guarantee?

Memorex 20-Pack Matte DVD Labels

[I]"[B]Polyester [/B]film material is designed to withstand high temperature output from DVD players"[/I]
So it’s not paper, maybe it can make a real difference as according to Memorex themselves, it’s paper that is the problem…
Though… I usually don’t believe marketing claims.