Stephen Fry lambasts the music industry & admits he uses pirated software

Today in a controversial speech at Apple’s Regent Street store in London Stephen Fry admitted he uses pirated software, lambasted the music industry for its attitude to copyright theft and expressed strong views on the issue of internet censorship.

“I have pirated software. But if that’s a shocking announcement then how naive can you be - I bet you have too and your house is full of stuff you’ve bought, too.”

“If the creative industry gets too snotty about it, people will just see them in them in their Rolls Royce and just say F*** off.”

“The internet is like a city - it has red light districts, all kinds of weird people, who want to con and steal from you, but my god, they’re exciting places to live and to be a citizen of it is a great privilege. Yet people are trying to control the internet like they would never dare with a city.”

He was also congratulated on becoming the second most followed person on Twitter after Barack Obama.

Who’s Steven Fry?..Oh yeah,the twitter dude.

ZATHROS
STEVEN FRY is a briitish actor. Two of his films I can name off
hand are I.Q. with TIM ROBBINS/MEG RYAN, and PETER’S FREINDS
with EMMA THOMPSON. Though now he might be on HOLLYWOODS
EXTNCT list. For admitting the truth.
ZAP.:bigsmile::sad::bow:

He is that guy that made some HIV documentary they showed on Swedish TV recently

[QUOTE=zap em;2212866]ZATHROS
STEVEN FRY is a briitish actor. Two of his films I can name off
hand are I.Q. with TIM ROBBINS/MEG RYAN, and PETER’S FREINDS
with EMMA THOMPSON. Though now he might be on HOLLYWOODS
EXTNCT list. For admitting the truth.
ZAP.:bigsmile::sad::bow:[/QUOTE]

Oh, now I really don’t know who he is, thanks for straightening that out for me, at least he’s truthful, that must count for something.:iagree:

Yes well in the UK we often don’t care whether a particular nationally-familiar actor or comedian is ‘recognised’ in the US. We tend to care even less whether he/she is ‘recognised’ by Hollywood.

In North America, you will have been more likely to have heard of Hugh Laurie, so even some minor research into his comedy/acting professional roots might help you gauge the relative importance of Stephen Fry.

Actually, I watch the BBC quite a bit. I love “Keeping Up Appearances”, most flavors of “Doctor Who”, there was a miniseries I think called “Ultraviolet”, that deal with modern vampires that I thought was absolutely brilliant, and for the life of me I wish i could remeber the name but it was a Sci Fi miniseries about these aliens that came from a 5th dimension who used humans to create hormones. Theere was a benevolent alien (who was blue) who landed in London in WW2 and was the one who inadvertently lead the aliens to Earth, it ended sadly as it seemed there was not way to stop them from using mankind as a sort of “chemical cattle”. I happen to love British movies and TV shows. I love the dialogue. I find that as opposed to American TV they don’t assume your stupid.

I am really bad at remembering any type of celebrities, whatever country they are from. I saw the Fry interview on BBC and know he generated quite a bit of surprise at his opinions on the subject.

I certainly do not hope you think that I am one of those Americans who think that the U.S.A. is the center of the world. I happen to be Hispanic and have suffered racism most of my life. I have very low regards for the “Hollywood crowd”, I could not care less about any celebrity but if they are talented I applaud their performance, regardless of nationality. Since I speak Spansh fluently and a little German I get to watch more than some of my fellow monolinguistic compatriots. I also love Russian movies, I think “Solaris” was one of the best Sci Fi movies ever made and what the American version did was akin to an abortion. I am sure I could mention some pretty influential people you have never heard of, it’s just a matter of what one is exposed to.

I spent 3 months in England and it was one of the most memorable times of my life. I took a 20 mile hike starting in Glossop, road the rails everywhere I could, and those grand double decker buses. I ate more Fish n Chips that one could think is humanly possible and still have never found anywhere in America that can reproduce real British Fish 'n Chips.

When I got chased down a side street in Manchester being called a “dirty Paky” (that gives you an idea of my skin tone), I finally stopped and asked them why were they chasing me and what was a “Paky”? The group of kids stopped and exclaimed, “He’s American”. I hung out with those kids for the rest of the summer. I love England, I love the British people. When I was in England I spoke with a Spanish accent as many of the Americans I came across embarrassed the hell out of me, I was not from their socio-economic class. I hope that clarifies my ignorance, it is not a matter of national pride, I just don’t follow celebrities that much. (I also cried when Lady Di’s life came to an end.).

I get the impression you have got me all wrong. I hope this clarifies things a bit. I am not one of them.

Zathros my post was not a personal attack, but just to point out to [I][B]everyone[/B][/I] in this thread - since the question of who Stephen Fry is was asked - that there is more background to a famous person in another country than being known for their Twitter or Hollywood activities.

I completely appreciate that it’s a matter of what we’re exposed to, and something we all have to consider when commenting on things happening outside of our regular surroundings. I have no doubt that you are an anglophile, and that your experiences in the UK - whilst not always good - have perhaps strengthened that. One thing I can see is that you have an excellent command of english language when you want; so why not use it more often? Sometimes it’s really just a matter of etiquette: asking a question is no problem, but simultaneously providing a trivial answer can appear dismissive in any context. Similarly, implied irony on the internet can be easily missed without a smiley to provide a hint. :wink:

OK back to the thread: Stephen Fry is sometimes referred to by the UK broadcast and print media as a ‘national treasure’ and there’s no doubt that he has been responsible for some excellent and inventive early comedy work with Hugh Laurie, later providing probably the best characterisation of Jeeves and Wooster that has been seen so far. However the style of their comedy - as with many others’ - doesn’t always translate across to other countries, and personally I would not find it surprising if Americans or other nations and cultures found him/them completely unfunny. Conversely, in the UK we currently see him popping up everywhere on TV shows, and some find him a bit too clever for his own good. Additionally, as everywhere, when celebrities start using their fame status to influence things - on which their opinion is no more important that our own - we may just wish they’d shut up. Unless we happen to agree with them of course :slight_smile: .

If you want to know who some person like Stephen Fry is, how hard can it be?

Look him up on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry

For someone involved in movies, look him up on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Stephen+Fry
…and select the first result: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000410/

That was easy, wasn’t it? :smiley: