Static Problem with a Lite-On DVD Recorder

vbimport

Hi I have a Liteon DVD recorder, and am converting my VHS tape collection to DVD. So far I transferred approximately 20 tapes and 3 have had a problem. I use memorex as my blank dvds. I am transferring tapes to DVD. Here is the problem. 2 of the tapes in very good or perfect quality have black line bars flashing on the screen constantly in the form of static. Now on my built in tv with VCR it plays fine, but playing it on the liteon VCR and when recording the static flashes like crazy. How do I fix this? I cannot use a different VCR because the Lite On thing is connected with DVD/VCR all in one to copy.

Also on another one that was perfect quality in the built in tv vcr when recorded on liteon dvd player or playing it turns real red and has messed up tracking. I tried this one wasting 4 blank dvds and theres no hope it seems. It records 20-30 mins then stops and goes to like the sleep mode screen.

Please help me or give me advice.

Hi I have a Liteon DVD recorder, and am converting my VHS tape collection to DVD. So far I transferred approximately 20 tapes and 3 have had a problem. I use memorex as my blank dvds. I am transferring tapes to DVD. Here is the problem. 2 of the tapes in very good or perfect quality have black line bars flashing on the screen constantly in the form of static. Now on my built in tv with VCR it plays fine, but playing it on the liteon VCR and when recording the static flashes like crazy. How do I fix this? I cannot use a different VCR because the Lite On thing is connected with DVD/VCR all in one to copy.

Also on another one that was perfect quality in the built in tv vcr when recorded on liteon dvd player or playing it turns real red and has messed up tracking. I tried this one wasting 4 blank dvds and theres no hope it seems. It records 20-30 mins then stops and goes to like the sleep mode screen.

Please help me or give me advice.

So there is no way you can use the RCA jacks to output from the built in TV/VCR to the input of the Lite On recorder? Just so I understand you correctly.:slight_smile:

Would it require a 2nd tv or I just switch the wire around? I’m a newbie so please help me out.

I haven’t used a VCR for a while but if you can get a 2nd VCR that plays the VHS fine then you can use some RCA cables to connect the output/out jacks of the VCR to the Input/IN jacks of the Lite On. Normaly in the Menu you can select the input source. Not sure how the Lite On is set up but normally you will have input 1,2 or 3 or TV,DVD or VCR there may even be an AUX. Once you find the proper input source it should play through to your TV as well, then just record. Hope this is not to confusing.:slight_smile:

Well currently let me explain. The LiteOn has a VCR + DVD they can be used for recording, watching or copying. I turn on the channel AUX and connect the cables to the TV with a built in VCR. When I do the copying it makes me do the recording with the vcr and dvd player that are apart of the liteon machine. Now for that 1 or 2 tapes I wanna try to put the VHS into the built in TV with VCR and use the lite on machine to copy the tape onto dvd. How does this go about? Please explain it slowly, step by step, and use pictures if possible. Thanks for your help so far.

Also the TV is just a basic one with only 1 connector in the back. The red, yellow, white wires are connected in the front to the liteon machine and in the back i have the connector thing that connects the tv to the vcr/dvd thing.

Hello,
I recently experienced that statics was a problem on my Liteon 5001 though very diferent from those you describe. It would refuse to end recordings or to read dvds it had previously recorded or fail to erase-format those same disks (Verbatim DVD+RW) .
Disorders vanished when I wired the box to the ground. I had previously cheked that my elecric instalation at home was safe: in my unit the mother board is connected to the box, so are the dvd inside and its shield. Exposing them to an electric shock could be worse than to ESD.
Obviously some weirdness on those tapes easely skipped by your VCR-TV, the dvd recorder couldn’t handle.
If you still think statics are involved (I learned recently that the effects are various and many), ask an electrician to check your instalation
before you ground the box.

I’ve merged this thread together with the cross-posted thread that was located in the Newbie forum. Please note that cross-posting is not allowed on this forum as someone may end up trying to help out on one thread, without realising that someone else has already provided the same advice on another cross-posted thread. Cross-posting is also not allowed under this forum’s policy.

To me the problem seems to be copy protection reltaed as many copy protected VHS tapes would result in a recording with a varying brightness, loosing video sync, etc. By the Lite-on stopping after a short period of time also gives a clear indication of this as generally a Lite-On DVD recorder will not allow the recording of any source with copy protected signalling.

Just in case it is dirty heads in the Lite-On’s VCR, I would recommend running a cleaning cassette in it, especially if you get a bad picture when playing back the tape in the Lite-On before making the recording. I would also suggest using a rewritable disc, such as a DVD-RW or DVD+RW for testing as these can be erased. Should you then find out a way to transfer the recording, then use a DVD-R or DVD+R. :wink:

The next tape I tried the sound would not work. I am getting real pissed at transferring to DVD process. :a

Hope I didn’t take anyone too far with the grounding trick: my Liteon had nothing a careful lens cleaning couldn’t fix! :o