Static on burned media - 111D & 116D

vbimport

I’ve been having this problem for a little while. I don’t know what brought it on. I was burning discs every other day with either a Pioneer 111D or an LG burner and all the discs turned out OK. Then one day I started getting major static on every disc I burned. The only alteration I made was going with CDBurnerXP. I got static, went back to Nero and the static didn’t go away.

I didn’t change media. I always use either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. I always use Nero (version 8 in this case). I thought it may be due to me burning discs when my tower was on its side so the drives were vertical, so I bought a new 116D. I installed it, flashed to the latest firmware, and got static again, though not as much. My other drives also have the latest firmware.

Could this be a BIOS problem? I was going to flash my BIOS because it has some compatibility problems with my setup anyway (temperature reading is the only problem I know of). I was previously able to burn discs very well with this BIOS, though.

Could it be a problem with the IDE cable? When I plugged my 116D in initially, it didn’t read. Only the 111D did. I had to unplug the 111D and use its plug on the 116D. It was weird.

Somebody please help.

please change cabling and reinstall drivers.

what is static? dvd audio, cd audio, electric shock? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I replaced the IDE cable, reinstalled drivers, burned, and still got static.

bump.

please help

What do you mean with “static”?

there’s a constant, statical sound throughout the entire cd. i don’t know how else to put it.

@ jtr3030,

Strongly suggest obtaining known proven quality Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) for ALL of your IDE Cables in your computer. If unaware of Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables suggest closely reviewing the below Web Link ->

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

When connecting your IDE devices to your Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables use the appropriate Master/Slave jumper settings and not CS (Cable Select) jumper settings. In some hardware configurations CS (Cable Select) is problematic.

Does this “Static” actually exist on your personally recorded CDs or does the “Static” exist even when original Commercially Manufactured Audio CDs are played on your particular computer?

Perform the below troubleshooting steps ->

#1 -> Play an original Commercially Manufactured Audio CD in your computer and see if the “Static” is present during playback of the original Commercially Manufactured Audio CD in your computer.

#2 -> Play one of your suspect personally recorded “Static” CDs in another CD Device other than your computer and see if the “Static” is actually present during playback.

Report back in this thread detail results of test #1 and #2.

Regards,
bjkg

I have been using 80-conductor cables.

I haven’t detected the static on professionally recorded discs when playing them in my drives. There is static when playing the CDs I recorded. There’s not as much static on the CDs that I recorded with my newer drive. The static is also there when playing the CDs I recorded on any playback device.

I don’t know what else to do - just get a new computer I suppose.

@ jtr3030,

Yea – That’s the correct action to correct your problem. Don’t throw your old computer away – Just send it to me.

Perchance are you familiar with the phrase ’60 Cycle Hum’? Is ’60 Cycle Hum’ appropriate in describing your ‘Static’?

Suggest completely removing your ‘Old Drive’ and ALL the IDE and Audio cabling that is connected to your ‘Old Drive’ from your Computer and see if this corrects your ‘Static’ problem.

Regards,
bjkg

I can’t afford a new computer.

The sound is more high-pitched and crackly than 60 cycle hum.

My old drive hasn’t been connected since I installed the new one.

[QUOTE=jtr3030;2129231]I’ve been having this problem for a little while. I don’t know what brought it on. I was burning discs every other day with either a Pioneer 111D or an LG burner and all the discs turned out OK. Then one day I started getting major static on every disc I burned. The only alteration I made was going with CDBurnerXP. I got static, went back to Nero and the static didn’t go away.

I didn’t change media. I always use either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. I always use Nero (version 8 in this case). I thought it may be due to me burning discs when my tower was on its side so the drives were vertical, so I bought a new 116D. I installed it, flashed to the latest firmware, and got static again, though not as much. My other drives also have the latest firmware.

Could this be a BIOS problem? I was going to flash my BIOS because it has some compatibility problems with my setup anyway (temperature reading is the only problem I know of). I was previously able to burn discs very well with this BIOS, though.

Could it be a problem with the IDE cable? When I plugged my 116D in initially, it didn’t read. Only the 111D did. I had to unplug the 111D and use its plug on the 116D. It was weird.

Somebody please help.[/QUOTE]

I personally believe that static is caused by static being present in the original file and therefore being burned onto the new disk

So, bad ripping job then…or bad source?