State of the Union

Any one care to discussion?

There are 50 states in the Union; do you have any particular one in mind? :smiley:

I’ll bite. I didn’t watch it because I had some paint drying that was more interesting to watch. I did read the CliffNotes and it seems like the USA has a Chavez wannabe at the helm. He has been working overtime making laws, amending bills and using executive orders to enact his agendas he has no hope of getting passed by Congress. For those not familiar with the US system of government only Congress can make, and amend, laws. It is the responsibility of the president to enforce the laws that Congress passes. All this is clearly defined in the Constitution. It is sad just how little Obama cares about faithfully carrying out his oath of office. Even liberals are getting fed up with his unconstitutional behavior. For those that aren’t familiar, below is the Oath of Office for the USA president.

The oath to be taken by the president on first entering office is specified in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution:

[B][I]“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=UTR;2717788]I’ll bite. I didn’t watch it because I had some paint drying that was more interesting to watch. I did read the CliffNotes and it seems like the USA has a Chavez wannabe at the helm. He has been working overtime making laws, amending bills and using executive orders to enact his agendas he has no hope of getting passed by Congress. For those not familiar with the US system of government only Congress can make, and amend, laws. It is the responsibility of the president to enforce the laws that Congress passes. All this is clearly defined in the Constitution. It is sad just how little Obama cares about faithfully carrying out his oath of office. Even liberals are getting fed up with his unconstitutional behavior. For those that aren’t familiar, below is the Oath of Office for the USA president.

The oath to be taken by the president on first entering office is specified in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution:

[B][I]“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Just remember it slides both ways… WMD yell til you think it’s true then it must be true. And I think the best part about this is “Grimm” story is going to be the biggest news of them all. Threatening a Republican voting news reporter that’s classics and you think the mic wouldn’t catch you threatening a person life. I can say if you the public go do that to a Senator or HoR and you will a six by six really fast. He is going down fast and this is on the News and you guess the internet and will stay there for cannon fodder by the left and ultra left to use and use and use. How stupid can one be in this day of mics and internet to think making a threat like that will think it will just vanish - it amazes me to think how in the gutter replies Grimm was to think he can call himself a Marine yeah maybe he should go back and reread the ethics and code of honor he recited to the US Citizens to upload and serve.

Oh yeah and to UTR how many US citizen can recite the Full Constitution word by word and line by line? Most likely “0”…that tells you the level of their education levels for those claiming to know their so called Constitution…

I am no big fan of GWB but the WMD issue has little to do with upholding the Constitution. I do credit Bush for getting authorization from Congress and the UN for use of force in Iraq. Most democrats voted for this and they had the same intel that Bush used so they all evidently were duped on the existence of WMDs. Had Bush done what Obama has done regarding his failure to uphold his oath of office, the press and democrats would be screaming “impeachment” like they had Tourette Syndrome.

As for the congressman threatening someone, that is small ball and ginned up by the press since it is a Republican in the spotlight. At any given time, Congress has a handful of idiots doing idiotic things and they are perpetrated by people on both sides of the isle.

I agree with US citizens not knowing the Constitution. IMO, democrats do not want informed voters so it is in their best interest to turn out as many idiots from the public school system (which they control through the teachers’ unions) as possible. If Obama had told everyone the truth about his real agenda he would have never been elected. I would venture to say that a very high percentage of high school graduates in the past 10-20 years has never read the entire Constitution and knows almost nothing about what it says.

We would never have been in Iraq in the first place if old Bush had not sent a woman over there to tell Saddom we had not treaty to come to Kuwait aid. She did this over and over and I told my wife at the time he wants him to invade Kuwait that way he will then come to Kuwait aid and we will have both Iraq and Kuwait oil off the market. Bush and his partners made billions on this. Just think all those boys we have lost because of this.

http://rense.com/general69/41.htm

We have lost more soldiers in Afghanistan under Obama’s watch in four years than we did under Bush’s entire 8 years in office. It is natural for people to spin conspiracies in any war. They are easy to create but nearly impossible to prove. IMO, the reason for both wars was in reaction to 9-11. The rest is just incompetence in running the operations. The two biggest mistakes Bush, and the military, made in the Iraq War effort was not waiting to attack until we had a decent amount of force coming toward Baghdad from the North through Turkey. The second was to completely dismantle the Iraqi army which left a massive power vacuum in the country. Our military had no idea how to run Iraq and having the Iraqi military intact would have allowed for much more control from the start. What many people think are conspiracies is nothing more than retribution and incompetence in play.

I won’t even get into how much Obama haw screwed up in the Middle East since he was elected. He makes Bush look competent in Middle East diplomacy and that isn’t an easy thing to do!

Iraq
GWB over 4000 dead
OBAMA less than 260 dead
lets be fair Obama did not start either of them

Let’s be fair to Bush and note that the Iraq War was over for all practical purposes by the time he left office. The Afghan War was not. Obama may not have started either one but he sure has been willing to use drones to kill people by the dozens with a single missile whether they deserved it or not. Also, why does he have more dead in Afghanistan in four years than Bush did in eight years? When it comes to the War on Terror, it is hard to tell any difference in strategy between Obama and Bush. In some ways Bush was marginally better since he tried to take our targets alive when possible to gain intelligence from them. Now we just send in a drone and kill them and anyone that is in the vicinity. IMO, the lack of intelligence gathering will bite us at some point.

Maybe because Bush did not do much fighting in Afghanistan after he “found” WMD’s in Iraq. I bet if it hadn’t been for Katrina getting him distracted he would have got Bin Laden…lol

I don’t know why Bush had fewer casualties in Afghanistan. My guess is that it is due to a difference in strategies between him and Obama. I know Obama has changed the rules of engagement in a way that puts the troops at greater risk. I see the Afghan War as being more in-line with the Vietnam War in that it is a difficult country, terrain wise, to fight in. I would be surprised if the Afghan War ends much differently than the Vietnam War. IMO, the main reason we are staying in Afghanistan is to be close to, and within drone striking distance of, Pakistan. I think the USA (and many other countries) are worried over what happens to Pakistan’s nukes and especially what happens to them if the country changes politically for the worse. Of all the reasons to stay in Afghanistan this one seems to be the most justifiable one to me. One of their nukes in the hands of terrorists would likely result in a disaster of epic proportions somewhere on the planet.

Getting Bin Laden was one of the better things Obama has accomplished since he was elected. It wasn’t a result of efforts done only under his watch. It was a result of intelligence collected back into the Bush years too. I think it is safe to say that OBL was being protected by parts of the Pakistani military as he was living very near what is their equivalent to West Point here. Going in and snatching him was a ballsy move on Obama’s part and exceptional work by our military.

I don’t think the USA should have had our military in any country but the USA since WW2 . Maybe a short time after to settle Germany & Japan down. After that the USA hasn’t been in one war/Police action that was any of our business.
Just wasting our peoples lives .
Not to mention all the US citizens money used & wasted .In the Middle East wars the US spends trillions while the infrastructure here falls apart .
We don’t control our own borders from the illegal immigrant invasion .

The US should have let every other countries people take care of how they wanted to be governed for good or bad. If they want change let them spill their own blood .
In other words “Mind our own business”.
Wait that’s what the US government did it minded the business of the “Industrial war machine”. War makes businesses mega money . Plenty to pay for lobbying
( bribes). As long as they can tax the US citizens to death.
The government has lost the perspective that it doesn’t really have any money .
What it pays for war & other items with is the citizens money or now credit . Incurring major debt to be paid for generations.
My solution for that debt would be to declare it “null & void” .
The rest of the world could take that or no longer do any business with the USA.
I would change all the currency & make any not in the USA void & not allow any to be brought back in physically or electronically. That should fix all those hidding money in Switzerland or the Camen’s.
That is my “State of the Union” address.

It is easy to look back on history and point out the things that should have been done and ones that should have never been done. The Cold War played heavily into politics and military conflict since WWII. Communism was seen as being as big a threat to democracy as the axis powers.

I agree with much of what you say about the current state of our government. It has become far too big, too intrusive into ordinary lives and spends an obscene amount of money for what we get in return. IMO, the best approach to government is to make it as small as possible and give as little amount of money as possible. The rub is that people are going to have to learn to be self reliant. The problem with the USA today is that too many people want handouts for nothing. They want someone else to pay their way through life. They feel entitled to this.

The smallest amount of government can do the least amount of damage.

I agree but I do not want my social security cut but want it raised:D

Getting SS upon retirement at the allowed age is not welfare. It is you getting your money back as a pension. Although, if you took the 12-13% of your wages (includes employer matching funds) the government collected over a working lifetime the return on investment isn’t near what you would have received if the same was invested privately. IMO, people relying on SS exclusively are going to take a big hit to their standard of living in the upcoming decades. The federal government has spent the SS money and debt service is going to put a squeeze on all other aspects of government spending. The quality of healthcare for retirees is going to take an even bigger hit.