Starting Over (Again) *sigh*

vbimport

Welp, my comp pooped out and I am having to start from scratch again. HOW can TWO hard drives go out at once? That’s what they say; “they won’t even spin”. Is that possible?:confused:

This is a MAJOR video loss to me. I had well over 3/4 of my HD free, too, so it couldn’t have been “too full”. Now, over 150 full movies are gone, not to mention several hundred shorter videos (music, etc.). Major loss. Then there’s several TONS of other works and projects… all gone. Sometimes I wonder why I even mess with computers. This hurts almost as much as loosing a ferret. :sad:

“They” (comp repair shop) still have “it” (“the beast”); they are trying some more recovery techniques. They asked me what files mean the most to me. Well, uh, that rather HEAVY video folder on the desktop would be nice.

In the meantime, I had to do what I had to do: get another comp (pc btw). Several days without the net and I start getting crazy. $130 - “Ten times the machine I had” they said. We’ll see. Got it home and guess what?: Round plugs on my mouse and kb and USB plugs on the back; no round ones!:frowning:

Well, they were nice enough to bring a mouse and kb that would work, right to my house. That was cool, as I had to arrange a ride to get there. Then, in starting to recover programs and stuff I need to save/burn DVDs, etc., it seems that one of them came with a bunch of poorly coded malware that got in there. Next thing I know, I can’t hardly do squat because of odd errors and stuff! Called them back. The guy actually came back to my place and fixed it (and explained what happened). They didn’t want to take the gas money I made them take the first trip, so I made them earn it.

He was fine with it (“Customer service” he called it). Fine with me. Dude is FAST!!! I’ve been on the comp for about 15 years, and I couldn’t keep up with what he was doing and I was sitting right beside him. He knows his stuff.

He said he uses Realplayer for downloads. I got all that malware junk from downloading the latest version of Youyube Downloader (not the same as the old). So, I have been using it giving it a try-out. Works ok so far; it gets those “age restricted” videos that YTD wouldn’t get. But, when trying to download large movies, it is now stopping half way through, simply saying “unable to download”. Why not, bleepit?!? I’m trying to recover the full “Good, Bad and Ugly” while it is still on Youtube, but Realplayer is dropping the ball. :a

Twice now it has done that (not counting the time it ditched the download when I hit “clear completed”). So, three times I have tried to download this almost three hour long movie. This last time, I let it completely alone, too. NOTHING going on but to DL that bleep movie! Ironically, it’ll dl a smaller video in a heartbeat with no problems. In the meantime, all these titles keep coming back to mind to try and recover. Many are off Youtube forever (or a long time).

So, if anyone has any advice (or sympathy), I sure could use it. I’ll be checking the individual forums for insight on “data recovery” (aka $$$$.$$), etc.

G.

Hah! I think I have a clue what might be going on: I think the cable is dropping out. It does that from time to time, and it has already done it once this morning (and caused fail #4 downloading “Good, Bad and Ugly” movie). Too bad they didn’t have the SENSE to have a “resume download” feature. It sucks getting 4/5 the way there only to have it loose everything. No wonder it doesn’t bother most shorter downloads. Hmmm…

Hi Gaarry , I’m going to awnser some questions from both threads.
On the lost hard drives. Have you tried installing them in an external enclosure
made for the type drive they are ?
That might let you recover the data on them. If not then some kind of electrical problem burned out their circuit board. So your old computer might have a “short”.

I have a version of Realplayer but I seldom use it . If It has a downloader connected with it I’ve never used it.

I have YouTube Downloader HD installed . I probably need to update it so I will try to get the latest version installed sometime today & see if I have any malware problem. What usually causes this is a person does the quick install instead of the custom one. Usually there is an option not to install any “extra” software or toolbar.
You just need to watch how you do the install .
I’m also using Freemake Video Downloader which I really like. I don’t know if it has a "resume " download feature because I’ve never had it fail to complete.
If you decide to use it . It does have “extra” software to [B]NOT[/B] install .
It has boxes to uncheck & you don’t get the “Extras”. It will even do some conversions.
If you get it make sure & get the downloader insted of the converter.

On downloads that go through a browser a lot have resume now.
I used to use Orbit downloader but found I no longer need it so I unstalled it quite a while back . It had a resume feature.

Thanks, cholla, for your reply.

The computer shop put the two drives in another machine; that’s when she told me they won’t even spin. But now, here’s another Q fer ya: Since a HD has a tiny “brain” (processor), can IT get a virus so to speak? Hmmm… A brain-fart maybe… ?

I mentioned the option to not install extra junk to the guru when he came out (the second time). He said that some stuff sneaks in anyway (Like Nero does). He said it’s a combination of malicious intentions coupled with very poor programming - that’s why the errors. He went into add/remove and found several things that weren’t there when HE loaded the comp that morning.

Hmmm, I’ll have to look into that Freemake thingy. Thanks.

As far as converting goes, I reckon I’ll stick with what works: DVD Flick (for now). So far, it hasn’t given me much trouble at all.

Thanks much,
G.

I don’t know about the small processor (chip) on a HD . I doubt that it would help to target it since the information would still need to get out through the OS .
My real best guess is there was a short or power surge in your old computer & it “fried” the circuit boards on the no spin HDDs.

I will download the newest version of YouTube Downloader HD today.
I don’t think that is the same as just YouTube Downloader but it may be.
From the last time I installed itI remember unchecking some boxes.

I still think that Freemake is better & is my first “goto” for YouTube videos or movies. With it you can just download the file as is or use its’ conversion function.
It doesn’t do the same type conversion as DVDFlick . It converts to .avi , .mkv , etc.
It doesn’t convert to DVD compliant like DVDFlick.
Before someone comes in & adds some standalone DVD players will play other formats . I agree some do but all will play the DVD compliant folder & file set.

I will add that I used to use DVDFlick & still have it in my toolbox.
I think AVStoDVD is a better converter though. The reason is it can use HCEnc for
the encode.

[QUOTE=cholla;2684387]I don’t know about the small processor (chip) on a HD . I doubt that it would help to target it since the information would still need to get out through the OS .
My real best guess is there was a short or power surge in your old computer & it “fried” the circuit boards on the no spin HDDs.

>>Hmm… You odviousely know more about the internal workings than I do. I just remember making circuits with chips that would crash if you looked at 'em wrong.

I will download the newest version of YouTube Downloader HD today.
I don’t think that is the same as just YouTube Downloader but it may be.
From the last time I installed itI remember unchecking some boxes.

>> What’s the “HD” about? Hi-Def?

I still think that Freemake is better & is my first “goto” for YouTube videos or movies. With it you can just download the file as is or use its’ conversion function.
It doesn’t do the same type conversion as DVDFlick . It converts to .avi , .mkv , etc.
It doesn’t convert to DVD compliant like DVDFlick.
Before someone comes in & adds some standalone DVD players will play other formats . I agree some do but all will play the DVD compliant folder & file set.

I might look a little at it’s conversion abilities. I need .flv to NTSC. I also need something that can strip the video away and output .wav format for audio CDs. (For some reason, my stuff can play MP3, but the closer to the end of the disc, stuff starts dropping out. Someone said .wav is what I need for audio CDs.

I will add that I used to use DVDFlick & still have it in my toolbox.
I think AVStoDVD is a better converter though. The reason is it can use HCEnc for
the encode.[/QUOTE]

>> You totally lost me there. :confused:

G.

The HD is for Hi _Def on the YouTube Downloader HD but it will download as low as the lowest quality YouTube has. It also has some minimum conversion capabilities but I don’t use them.

Either DVDFlick or AVStoDVD will convert the .flv to NTSC DVD compliant .
I guess the HCEnc encode lost you. It is included in AVStoDVD but is an option you select when setting up the Preferences. It is considerd one of the best.

On the conversion to .wav . You want to do that from the .flv & sometimes you will get a .mp4 . Use Audacity for that. You will also need Lame for Audacity & FFmpeg for Audacity . It’s all freeware I will see if I can find a link.
A .mp3 CD is a data CD . You can burn .mp3s as Audio CD with some programs but you still get lower quality than a .wav . Of course when you are converting one from a YouTube video you are only going to get a lower quality .wav than you will get if you rip an actual commercial music CD.

You see, that’s what gets me: how people like you learn all that stuff and get so smart on it. :bow: When someone like me gets something like DVD Flick, it has all kinds of stuff that’s totally alien and way over my head. I usually trust default because I don’t know hardly any of it (and it can get pretty deep). How many years and what college did you have to attend to get such advanced knowledge? Sometimes it seems to me that most everyone was born with such knowledge but me.:o Well, I’ll try to keep up. Usually, if I dive right into something, some of it’ll seep in somewhere. :slight_smile:

G.

Hi Gaarry . My education is High School . I did go to Auto Mechanics at a State technical school that is no longer open .
I’ve learned what I know about computers from the internet & some help from a friend of mine that was into computers. I started early in a way with Commodore64 but really only used it as a game console. It was about 2004 when I got back into computers .
I started learning the AV stuff around 2007 that is how I happened upon this forum & joined it. I’ve been learning ever since.

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/download.html
Use Custom Installation the uncheck all of the options.
It wants to install “Entrusted toolbar,Search, & homepage.
This prevents that.
Next : Install Hotspot Shield will come up . Dot the " I do not want to install Hotspot Shield”.
None of the unwanted software installed. So as long as you check do as above you should get a clean download.

Now hereis the trick I use.
Go into your Program Files & copy the “Youtube Downloader HD” folder.
Paste it on your desktop temporarily.
Now uninstall Youtube Downloader HD.
I use the Control Panel Programs to uninstall.
Now copy & paste the “Youtube Downloader HD” folder that is on the desktop back into the Program Files folder.
Open that folder & right click on “YouTubeDownloaderHD.exe” .
Send to/Desktop shortcut. You can then drag that shortcut into your Start/Programs or just leave it as a desktop icon or both.
That way it becomes a working portable that isn’t installed.
You can then delete the folder from your desktop.

Audacity download:

The libraries wiki:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man…_plug_ins.html
Some plugins You won’t usually need most of them but if you do:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins