Start-up to release 'stone-like' optical disc that lasts forever

vbimport

But unlike the former, there is no reflective or die layer.

That must be the secret, other media are born to die…

An actual picture and more information.

Hmm, that article claims the new burners will have similar pricing to current blu ray burners. That may be enticing for some of us, especially since they will be able to burn regular blu ray as well.

Price of media makes it less attractive. $3 for 4.7gb? There is very little I need backed up with absolute certainty, so I don’t see buying very many at that price/capacity combination.

This format may be quite useful for archival concerns however, and I can see library organizations and government becoming interested in this.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2600144]…
Price of media makes it less attractive. $3 for 4.7gb? There is very little I need backed up with absolute certainty, so I don’t see buying very many at that price/capacity combination.[/quote]

And you can bet here in “Rip-off Britain”, the price will be even less attractive!

This format may be quite useful for archival concerns however, and I can see library organizations and government becoming interested in this.

I agree, I have a feeling that’s where the bulk of their market will be, at least to start with. Libraries etc keep stuff for generations…

I sure miss the CDFreaks days when we use to have CD/DVD news like this on the home page; even this story didn’t seem to qualify now, with the latest being yet another about Anonymous. :sad:

Either way, it’s about time someone finally created a much more robust disc, although I think at this stage it’s too late.

For most consumers, storing important data on two or three HDDs is sufficient, with one HDD stored off site (e.g. car or relative’s house), as the chance of two HDDs failing around the same time is highly unlikely. This optical media would be more suited for guaranteed permanent storage of data, such as museums, etc. as a few pointed out.

One other technology I would like to see is a consumer HDD that operates like a WORM media, i.e. where data can be added to the drive, but existing data cannot be overwritten or deleted. For example, a HDD in perfect working order is vulnerable to being infected or having its data destroyed or tampered with, such as if the user gets an infection that takes its data “hostage” by encrypting it and demanding a ransom to decrypt it.

When will manufacturers start to realise that, after the DVD, that optical media is on it’s way out? :cry:

It’s false economy as well - Like Kerry56, I have nothing that is stored of absolute value I must keep - So if all of my DVDs do go away, sure, it will be annoying and I have lost 100s of hours of TV, but nothing I cant simply buy off Amazon or record again from the TV.

I would have thought after the flop of the Blu-Ray manufacturers would have cottoned on :doh: Flash memory is the next big thing!

Why do I have my doubts? [Forever is a very long time. :slight_smile: ]