StarForce Vs. SD, SR

Hey guys,
Im pritty sure that StarForce cant be copied AT ALL so my Q is this: Game companies must know that people can get round the protection they put on there games (e.g SafeDisc and Securom). Why dont they use StarForce? Does it cost more than SD/SC? Is it more restricting? Harder to implement? Why use a “protection” that doesnt really do what it spose to do?

VH
:rolleyes:

This is one of the hardest questions to answer! Well, I reckon as because Starforce mainly operate in Asia I think. And most publishers signed a contract with SD or SR before StarForce became big; as SF1 was easy to copy.

There is a way to make a backup of SF protected games, but not onto media.

@merther02:
Concerning SF3: What about making images (BW, Alcohol,…) and mounting
them like it’s working for at least SD? Additionally, these images can easily
be mounted directly from DVDR, so you’ve got a full-working backup.

Or is this exactly that you’re talking about?

Concerning SF3: What about making images (BW, Alcohol,…) and mounting
them like it’s working for at least SD? Additionally, these images can easily
be mounted directly from DVDR, so you’ve got a full-working backup.

but no more with the newest SF versions… :frowning:

btw: SF is really much used in russia… not (only) asia…

Because companies know that if they put very good copy protections like starforce, the game would not become so famous cause no-one would have bought a game original just to try it… the games that are most famous in the multiplayer section like Unreal Tournament are easily copied games, so that everyone can buy it pirated to try it, and if you like it, you must buy it original so you can play multiplayer in all servers…

What makes SF soo much more secure than SD/SC? I know it uses it own driver, but why hasnt someone found a way to bypass it?

VH
:wink:

Probably because they anaylse the cracks that certain groups make and then update their protection where it failed, making it a pretty tough protection.

And yes, you are correct DiggnSaeg, but try doing that without any emulation/mounting software on your PC. Most people would like as close as 1:1 as you can get. And yes, images was what i was talking about.

Games that are protected with Starforce get less publicity, its a fact.