StarForce checking

Hi all again, maybe software developers ( like Alcohol, BlindWrite or CloneCD) at this time, knows a bit about starforce.
I have been testing for a time, and finally, obtained a final conclusion for starforce v3 that it’s not the one and maybe can change the way the protection can be defeated.
After testing a lot of games with this copy-protection, and having success with some testing (hehe) discovered that CDs with less data are more easily burned that those with more than 600 mB.
It seems that with more data, more precission can be done in the angular checking, and more difficult is to copy such CD.
The way i’m working is by modifying the image, so lengh changes: with same amount of REAL data at CERTAIN POSITION, the checking point changes its position, and data takes more or less space at certain radium of the CD----> Angle is changing to position till the correct one.

To help more testers to do that, by modyfying BlackCheck’s program, can obtain certain success.( By now, most own development are under secret)

NOTE: To help finding the correct check point, after burning in a CDRW, launch the protected exe and then, after failure, go to report. Cancel after a seconds and see what info it reports to you.
Should appear some info like that:
C,1A,9,1A,9,1A,0,0,0,0,0,0… with a new key. This key is not important to us AT THIS MOMENT(but very interesting for cracking purposes).Obviously, this new key does not launch the application.
We need to check, for different CDs, that values.
i’m working in two ways at this point:
1.- Trying all of them become 0.
2.- Trying all of them to take a “syncronous” sequence.
Original CD does not shows that info, but it checks the CD when measuring with a progress bar. Usually, only first checking reports success and the application launchs. With a copy, that first checking is passed quite fast, and progress bar continues…so a wrong way.
The more time this first checking is stopped, the more near we are from the espected angle.

Hope, some people could investigate too. Repeat: WWII FrontLine Command have a nice “xploit” in its image estructure. Will not say anymore, but with that game and an hex edit, this can be easyly found.

Good luck everybody.

TIP: Wersachi, we are waiting a best way to copy that protection.

An interesting post as always Morglum007. Because of its technical nature, I’m going to copy the thread to the Optical storage Technical Discussions forum where I suspect that you’ll get greater input and feedback than in this forum.

[Note to all admins/mods: This is not an example of cross-posting.]

Originally posted by Morglum007

Original CD does not shows that info, but it checks the CD when measuring with a progress bar. Usually, only first checking reports success and the application launchs. With a copy, that first checking is passed quite fast, and progress bar continues…so a wrong way.
The more time this first checking is stopped, the more near we are from the espected angle.

original cd can not show this because the game run…

no
not only first checking reports success and the application launchs

game can run and with the end (last) checking

and what do you want?
to know identity of this cod…(what mean)

original cd can not show this because the game run…

This is evident, he he he …:wink:

not only first checking reports success and the application launchs

He he he, yeap, i supposed too. I mean that first checking is, ummmm, more important that others. Maybe have not explained myself correclty. I’m trying to say, that in the first check, it takes more than others, so it’s expected to be more, ummmmm important thatn others…
He he, don’t know if i explain myself but i tried it!

game can run and with the end (last) checking

I have not reach this yet…:smiley:

Respecting last thing, don’t understand you at all , so sorry.
And having links to the other post i wrote…
Have you got the particular angle code generator for any CD with the “support” one?
I think i read that. If that, then it’s quite easy to make a 1:1 copy, cause you can build any angle code written on a CD.
please let us know.

You can also use PM, cause i’m confused.

Thanks!

Morglum007

this may sound stupid but if starforce checks the density (or whatever) of the data written to the cd… do you think that maybe a 700MB (80min) cd-r has too tight a spiral (density) and a 650MB (74min) cd might represent an original cd better?

Starforce does not check for the density of sectors.
If have been said new plextor premium and newest BlindWrite can backup in the future that copyprotection is not for sector density.
Physical data is not only sectors amount at the spiral data. Can be the angle between first sector and last one too.
It have also, intermediate checks between, but first sector and last one seems to be the main issue withthis protection.
By modifyng the image (lead-in, lead-out) that angle can be fixed. The way to find the correct one is the main problem.
The way to measure that angle is by timing tricks.
It can be quite difficult to find that angle, but a circle have 360 degrees in total, and support key with error key of the protection itself can help a lot when searching.
I hope could explain that.

Be free to reply or post something you could consider interesting.

Thanks!

Securom works by using relative differences in angles of certain areas (ie, peaks). Starforce uses absolute sector density.

I’ve seen some premium graphs where the relative densities are fine, but absolute densities (ie, sector 0) are wrong. This is why bw5 has mixed success when backing up starforce3.

Unfortunately, I do not have any sf3 games, so I cannot help with any tests.

@Andareed

Another way to say the same, he he he.
Absolute sector density = angle between first and last sector with the same amount of data FOR THE SAME DRIVE. ( can’t believe but it seems every writer (same model) writes data in it’s own way)

Wersachi is helping a lot about this copyprotection. I will not believe it if he didn’t guide me, hehe (thanks for that info)

Maybe after some test and with his permission, could post results for everybody (think can post a bit better in english so everybody could understand)
This is quite important cause it seems NO SPECIAL DRIVE is needed to backup SF3.
By now, will continue testing.

Good luck!

I’ll be waiting for it eagerly. Thanks for your effort and go ahead!!! :bow:

Of course, lots of thanks to Wersachi, too.

Ánimo, Morglum… que UFO me tiene frito… :frowning:

Abrazos

@Morglum007

Hi there m8. If you need help I can ;). I have StarForce v3 at home and also Premium + LiteON. And also some experiences. I prefer ICQ or MSN instead of mails. So my info is in profile

add me too as I have several sf3 titles and plex premium / liteon etc. pm me if you want me to try anything !
regards logicwatch.:smiley:

Obviously I am ready to assist you in everything you need.

I’ve got LiteOn 52327S, ASUS 5224A and Plextor Premium. The game is UFO: Aftermath, as I think you know yet.

I have a plextor 24/10/40A and ALOT of star force 3 games
since thats all the protection that most of the chinese games uses, so you need any type of testing or whatever just let me know on aim or pm.

Pffffiiuuuuu, what a lot of people for testing!
I will speak with Wersachi, and then post the way he is guiding me, because the way of working is by identifying the error in the checking. After running a copy of a SF3 tittle, if we tick on an option called “information” if i don’t forgot, the system will report us a support key and an error code.
By identifying that error code, we can know where is the problem with the copy.
Because there is a lot of codes for different machines configuration, we can only isolate the error by restricted system configurations.
I think wersachi can not afford a lot of codes and many of them can be eliminated, so he will post if thinks convenient.
By know, (this is the impressive), that code shows the amount of drives we have, the VIRTUAL DRIVES installed, if we have CDR or CDRW inserted, checks for RPMS too (blacklisting…¿?¿?) and a lot of things more.
Because this codes hides another ones (for example, till we do not uninstall the virtual drives, the code will be the same, regarding the backup copy had another write error that other different copy) we need to isolate different aspects in the pc.
We need to have installed (not BIOS un-plug, must be physical unplugging )only ONE drive (normally CD recorder for example), and then, checks that code. This code will show us where was the problem. We don’t need to rewrite a CD. Just with every change mentioned above, the error code will be modified till the error we want to check.
Then, wersachi will show where was the problem with the copy. Thanks first him for showing me, and this will continue.

We will be on from now and so on.

Good luck!

Morglum007 just wondering, since Starforce 3 is mostly used in Asia and europe. Do testers get the tools you use to test out
Starforce 3 games?

Don’t know.
Consider that now i’m trying to locate the exact point that protection uses.
Later will try with different software.
As wersachi told to me, BlindWrite is a powerfull tool to begin with.

Good luck!

so I have no luck getting it work… morg?

i would be happy to test out too with Starforce 3 . I have a few titles with it and many burners to test with. I wonder why i have all the burners . I have at least six on hand to test with right away. Plextor brands and lite on’s and several others . Cheers

gio

Here I have many brands to test too hehe
By now no one is capable of backing up Starforce 3 on my UFO aftermath using Blindwrite, Alcohol 120% or Clonecd

either you got alot of money or you just get stuff for free lol:bigsmile: