Star Trek: Voyager problem

I´m using AnyDvd 6.0.4.5 and Clone Dvd 2.8.9.9. And I´m trying to make a backup of Star Trek: Voyager Season 1: Disc 1.
This is the message I get from AnyDvd:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.0.4.5)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Total size: 4035872 sectors (7882 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: EU_104146
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed bogus title set!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

There are supposed to be four episodes on the disc but when I start CloneDvd and trying to back it up, there are only three episodes visible!
I´ve tried using DvdDecrypter and DvdShrink with the same result.
I can make an image of the disc and burn it, but I can only get three episodes. The fourth episode is just not there!

Please help. :bow: :bow: :bow:

This appears to be the problem:

Looks like a bug in AnyDVD. Disable the option “Copy protection based on unreadable sectors” until SlySoft fixes this problem.

might be a good idea to zip up the IFO files (with anydvd disabled) and send them to slysoft with as much information as possible and a reference to this thread.

also, it says the disc is region 2. from what i understand R2 discs can vary by country so please be sure include what country the DVD is from as well.

and Number 99, be sure to send your complete log of that attempt to Slysoft to get working on fixing it. It may be a new encryption AnyDVD doesn’t have the ability to take care of successfully yet. Slysoft will get a fix in 1-2 days, also. :wink:

Number99,
Most Star Trek episodes are 4 episodes per disk but Season1; Disk1 may be one long pilot episode and two regular length episodes. Which would account for only three episodes showing up in CloneDVD. Check this out: Is one Title Set way longer than the other two?

I never got into the Voyager series but my ST:Next Generation set was authored as above for Season1; Disk1. Although both the disk and case were labeled Episodes 101,102,103, and 104, episodes 101&102 where actually combined into one “two hour” pilot which was also known to Paramount as episode 721 :doh: and it played through as one continuous movie.

So, to summarize, you may not have a problem. Try putting in Season1; Disk2 and see if you get just a regular four “1hour” episodes.

Best regards,
Whisperer

also thank you for a coherent and well thought out question. it’s refreshing to see someone that includes relevant information on the first shot so we can quickly direct them towards a solution.

only thing missing is the country of origin for the dvd :wink:

also, here’s an explanation in more detail how to send your IFOs to slysoft as I had mentioend in my previous post:

support(at)slysoft.com (replace (at) with @)

Best thing to do this:

1.) DISABLE AnyDVD (little fox on the taskbar should be grey).
2.) Navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD.
3.) Copy all files ending with .IFO to your harddisk. ONLY those with .IFO, not the big .VOB files!
4.) ENABLE AnyDVD again (just in case, so you don’t forget it)
5.) ZIP the .IFO files to one file. Name it with a cool filename (e.g., Little_Black_Book_UK.zip)
6.) Write a an email to support(at)slysoft.com (replace (at) with @). Name your problem, try to identify the disc (e.g, Little Black Book, R2, UK), the UPC number if possible (below the barcode on the package). The information output of AnyDVD can be helpful as well.
7.) They like if you include the AnyDVD version and your AnyDVD serial number in this mail. You find this information in the Settings Window -> About.
8.) Attach ZIP file with the IFOs and send it.

ahh good catch whisperer…definitely check out whisperer’s suggestion before anything else!

Thanks reasonsnotrules but Tru may still be correct to disable the option “Copy protection based on unreadable sectors” because AnyDVD/CloneDVD may be misinterpreting a link (if such exists in the authoring) between episodes 101&102 as a bogus sector.

Voyager Title Sets may be (probably are) labeled different Title numbers from ST:NG authoring (not 101&102) but same idea may hold tru. I’m pretty sure Paramount used the same DVD Authoring vendor (or they own their own factory now?) for all their Star Trek series DVD boxed set releases. So they will be similar in authoring depending on the employee team that was assigned the task.

Thanks all of you for your help!

@Tru: Tried to disable the option “Copy protection based on unreadable sectors”, but it didn´t work either. I only got a error message from CloneDvd saying that CloneDvd can´t copy Copy Protected Discs. :doh:

@Whisperer1: I´m so stupid, I know! But I accidently wrote Disc 1, when it was Disc 4 that I meant! You are right about the first disc, it is a double episode on it. Therefore, you could say that it´s only three episodes on the first disc. But, on Disc one, I see only two episodes! One that is approx 2 hours long and one that is a regular episode!

@reasonsnotrules: Thanks for your little guide on how to send the IFO-files to SlySoft! They are sent now! So let´s see what they will make of the problem.

You guys rule! :bow:

James from slysoft posts on this forum rather frequently (username: Slysoft) so it’s likely he will see this thread, but if he doesn’t and the support staff end up helping you out via email, be sure to come back and post what they’ve revealed!

I included a reference to this thread in my mail to SlySoft.
And yes sir! I will come back! :iagree:

Please put this [I]original[/I] disk into your standalone DVD player, go to the original DVD’s menu and see how many episode choices you have to play.

This is all so strange because all seasons of Voyager were released in a boxed set by Dec 2004 (per Amazon) and I don’t remember any other problem posts for such a popular series in the year and a half since release!

You could try doing a cdf search for keyword “Voyager” selecting the entire “Copy DVD” area as your search area. I haven’t got time … getting ready to go to work

Whisperer.

Then you did something wrong.
Only disable “Copy protection based on unreadable sectors”, don’t disable AnyDVD completely. Close all programs (including CloneDVD) before doing the change.

Are you sure? AnyDVD reports on Voyager Season 1 Disc 4:

Total size: 4060813 sectors (7931 MBytes)
Video DVD (or CD) label: EU_104146

In what country are you? I have the UK discs, but I believe they are identical to Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, Spain.

It has worked in other cases so you might try a 2 step process. Use anydvd in the background with VOB Blanker then process the output files with CloneDVD2.

I did.

I´m in Sweden, but the discs are Made in the EU.
Total size: 4035872 sectors (7882 MBytes).

Nonono… If AnyDVD removes a titleset because it believes it is bogus - how could VOB Blanker bring it back?
The problem is, that the disc is not protected (well, it CSS encrypted), but AnyDVD thinks it is.
Just disable the option as I said, it will work.

When did CloneDVD show the error? Just reinsert this disc and try again. It will work.

At about 80% in the ripping process. But I´ll do it again.

Don’t bother. I believe I know what the problem is. Next update will probably fix it.
If you have a second drive in your machine, try to use this for reading. The problem is caused by your drive reporting the wrong disc capacity, and AnyDVD 6.0.4.5 considers all titlesets outside the physical size of the disc to be bogus.
If your drive reports 4035872 sectors but the real size is 4060813 sectors, everything in the last part of the disc is considered “bogus”, very likely the 4th episode on the disc!

To make matters worse, AnyDVD will not even attempt to decrypt CSS because it believes it is an inaccessible titleset. So the trick Tru has suggested will fail (as you have found out already).

(I hate that I always have to work around bugs in drives, drivers, copy programs, operating systems … :Z but at least I get paid for it … :bigsmile: )

EDIT: If you have an older AnyDVD version < 6.0.4.5, you can uninstall 6.0.4.5 and use the older version. It should work even with your lying drive. :wink:

I have a copy of AnyDVD version 5.9.5.7.
Are you saying that it will work with that version?