Star-Force releases copy protection review for March 2003

I just posted the article Star-Force releases copy protection review for March 2003.

Star-Force is currently one of  the most feared copy protection, not only by those who like to make 1 on 1  copies, but also those cracking the protection. The Star-Force company is also  pretty...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5619-Star-Force-releases-copy-protection-review-for-March-2003.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5619-Star-Force-releases-copy-protection-review-for-March-2003.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

They know what they’re talking about… Quite natural since they used to crack games themselves :d

The most interesting note is at the bottom of the third page: “Catch 22. Those do using copying / emulating tools do not like to pay for them” - which is probably true unfortunately, and shows how much b**shit some people are spewing when they claim that they want a copy “for backup reasons”.

On that note, if you’re going to pull the “for backup reason” escuse, at least purchase the software you use to do these so called legal activity. Not that I’m any kind of angel. But after using Nero for about a year illegally, I realized it was so good, Ahead deserved my buck.
[edited by Rhelic on 28.03.2003 22:08]

Those do using copying / emulating tools do not like to pay for them" - which is probably true unfortunately, and shows how much b**shit some people are spewing when they claim that they want a copy "for backup reasons
well, we have to put it this way, because otherwise you won’t get any help in the cdfreaks or in the daemon tools forum, if you say “help me to make an illegal copy” :B
Not that I’m any kind of angel. But after using Nero for about a year illegally, I realized it was so good, Ahead deserved my buck.
I am always amazed at people who feels pangs of concience making é­llegal copies. I am not a heartless man, but I feel no compassion for the software developers. they are already earning enough money, no need to pity them. It’s THEM who are ripping us off. But if you are smart enough, you’ll simply buy second hand games, buy them from pc games rental stores or something. Here where I live pc games rental stores sell 1-2 months old games for a couple of euro. this way nobody can accuse me of illegal activity, and I still pay very little money; I don’t like to be ripped off by the publishers. 40 euro for a new game? I am not going to pay that. better wait for a month or two and buy a game for 10-15 euro. And another advantage is, you don’t have to deal with those copy protections, because the cds are original, just second hand.

software / game developers arent ripping anyone off. last time i checked, you dont need games to live. i didnt find ‘software’ anywhere on the pyramid of needs way back in high school. software developers work their asses off. visit microsoft when blackcomb is going final. you’ll see what i mean. those pangs of conscience are from stealing. steal bubble gum, its still a crime. its still immoral. oh well though, you’ve already made up your mind.

And another advantage is, you don’t have to deal with those copy protections, because the cds are original, just second hand. what happens if the speard their CD-key for “friend” over internet. Now you can’t play games online :frowning:

HAHAHAH… software developers are ripping us off? Uhm, try again. It usually works like this [if you are the developer and not an employee getting PAID to work for a developer]… You come up with a new idea for an application, and hire programmers to code at anywhere from $5/Hour [overseas but have to be careful of government regulations] to $180/Hour [USA, and have to worry about general laziness] or more depending on the field, then you start the routine of watching what people do, quality control, etc. This can go on for a year if you are lucky while doing an enterprise class application. So, you have 1 earning [in my case] $65/Hour for a year, and you as the developer don’t make a penny until its sold. SO, in one year at the above rate: $130,000 / Year Per Person [not to mention insurance overhead, federal and state taxes, licensing, unemployment, lease, computers, utilities, etc] And thats just one person. So, while my stash of cash dwindles while people pirate warez and surf at work, use my bandwidth, etc… I get told indirectly that I’m ripping you off. So, to recoup my costs, lets say I charge $40 for my application. Just to break even on the employee payroll… I have to sell : 3250 copies of the application, but you really should add another 33% to that because of income taxes… then, add to that a small thing called “MY” pay, which should be considerably more than my employee, after all, I’m footing the bill here, will make me have to sell at least 6000 copies per year. This is just one programmer, and one developer.

“It’s THEM who are ripping us off” Well, if you don’t want to pay the asking price then DON’T BUY THEIR SOFTWARE. If I don’t like the price of a Rolex watch in a store I can’t just steal it can I. For every piece of software that you pirate, the developer is losing money - and it isn’t fair. What you also forget is that the developer usually gets very little of the overall asking price. If it costs £40 in the shop, the developer might get as little as £5! (Depending on how well known they are) Software development is not easy and games, which are the most ripped apps around, are VERY time consuming to develop. Anyone who understands anything about the process of designing games will tell you this. There are artists, programmers etc. all working 12/7 for a year or more and somebody just goes and steals their software.

software / game developers arent ripping anyone off. last time i checked, you dont need games to live. i didnt find ‘software’ anywhere on the pyramid of needs way back in high school
agree completely. but consumerist industry tries to make you believe that you do need games and other consumerist stuff to live and they are very successful at it, as far as most people are concerned. So the question is not anymore whether you pay, but how much you pay. because if you don’t play, you can’t join in the conversation. all your friends talk about counterstrike or warcraft and you don’t know what to say? I don’t think children will like that.
those pangs of conscience are from stealing. steal bubble gum, its still a crime. its still immoral. oh well though, you’ve already made up your mind.
I didn’t say it wasn’t immoral. I am not so naive to believe that there are different kinds of stealing. I just don’t care about the immorality aspect. I would buy games if they were cheap (and I do actually if I find cheap second hand games), but not because I have pangs of concience, but because I am lazy and it’s easier to pay 15 euro than to learn how to beat starforce.
software developers work their asses off.
yes, that’s what they are always saying. creating the image of a poor hardworking small businessman who’s going to lose his job if you don’t pay him. in reality, though, the business is controlled by huge firms aka Microsoft and Electronic Arts and neither they nor their children are going to die of famine if you steal from them. In fact, it’s them who destroy small businesses, because Microsoft and Electronic Arts’ve got enough money and capacities to win the competition war against smaller firms. But actually I don’t really care. It’s not as if I needed or even loved them. One firm goes down, who cares? tomorrow 10 new businesses will appear and 10 new products will appear on the market.
Well, if you don’t want to pay the asking price then DON’T BUY THEIR SOFTWARE. If I don’t like the price of a Rolex watch in a store I can’t just steal it can I.
Of course you can. that’s the beauty of digital consumerism. Some time ago I thought, if I consume, why consume things I cannot afford? I can’t afford buying armani clothes, boss shoes, chanel Nr. 5 perfume, rolex watches (I can’t even afford buying myself a fake rolex :B). But I can download the best and most expensive warez. newest windows, most expensive version of office xp, all acrobat, photoshop and directx plugins and whatever else.
For every piece of software that you pirate, the developer is losing money - and it isn’t fair
It isn’t fair that I get as a student only 70 euro a month for making a living. It’s not fair that I can’t afford myself to buy a phucking cheeseburger. All products on the capitalist market are definitely overprised and due to the alleged variability of prices the capitalist economy tries to invoke the impression that you can do something about it, while you are ripped in any case.
What you also forget is that the developer usually gets very little of the overall asking price.
nice way to put it. One could put it the other way and say that I ALONE have to pay the WHOLE price. If the publishers or the producers or the shops or whoever are ripping you off, don’t blame me. try to get money from the people who have it, not from the poor customers. Shit flows downwards, doesn’t it? the costs are handed over to the bottom, by politicians as well as by the capitalist economy.
There are artists, programmers etc. all working 12/7 for a year or more and somebody just goes and steals their software.
what’s about the open source software? those people work very hard too and people download their soft for free. often I am amazed that freeware or open source soft is better than certain commercial alternatives. I am not a programmer myself, but if I write a php script and put it online for free and then see that it’s used on other sites, I feel proud and happy, and that’s the only reward I need for the dozens of hours I spent on it. I also think there is a certain unwillingness in people to be forced to pay. If a programme is free, many will donate. but if you are forced to pay, my hand moves the mouse to my warez sites bookmarks folder even before I myself am aware of it. So, to summarize, I think: 1) the developers shouldn’t hand the costs down to the customers. try to get the money from the distributors, publishers, producers. they’ve got enough money, while children, who buy computer games, have not. 2) stop telling us fairy tales about your hard life, we don’t buy it anyway. this pathetic david copperfield image is ridiculous. who’s going to believe that businesses go down because of piracy? after 70 years Hollywood is still alive, and after 30 years the computer industry is still alive, despite the billions of files that have been illegally copied.
[edited by WRFan on 30.03.2003 05:00]

Actually, I would be very happy if I could pay £15 DIRECTLY to the developers (which is probably 2x what they would get from a shop-bought game) but in return I would have to download the game (putting it in stores costs money). Trouble is, a) That would never happen b) If it did, the companies would have little money to advertise the game.