Staple's dubious 110% PM practice

vbimport

Hello Folks,

Just wondering if there are others out there who may have encountered Staples’ dubious 110% PM practice? It has happened to me three different times now.

The situation: Staples claim a 110% PM, black and white on their receipts, but they don’t practice it, at least to my experiences. You see, I naively trusted that they would faithfully practice such claim, so when good deals become available elsewhere, and I am not at liberty to get to these places, I would go to staple for price match, but when I check my receipt later, its not the 110%, but merely the 100%. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that they do PM, but why claim something you don’t intend to follow through?

Twice now, I have to bring the issue up to the managers just to get the 10%, another time, I just let it go.

So, how many of you had this unfortunate experience, and how do you now approach Staples to ensure they are carrying out their claim, without wasting time later on to get the 10%. I know it is quite logical what to do, but I would appreciate your thoughts , experiences and approach.

Best wishes,
Techson

IIRC, they only pricematch 110% with their competitors ads. So basically it’s restricted to office supply stores. Electronics and general merchandise stores are not included.

Even with that restriction in mind, Office depot’s adds should qualify, yet same thing happened.

Well, in that case I’d complain to the manager.

Inexperienced CSRs will often use the wrong menu to do a PM, and that will result in only a 100% PM instead of 110%. The same thing can happen at Circuit City. Often, before they finish the PM transation, they will give you a total that you’re supposed to get back, when they do that, or a little before, just casually say “…and that’s a 110% price match, correct?” I’ve often caught CSRs before they made the mistake of doing only 100% PMs by watching them as they enter the transaction. You have to be diligent.

Bingo! If the clerk hits one wrong button, you don’t get the 110%. The key is to make sure the price is less than the ad your PM’ing. If not, point this out before you pay for the item. I’ve never had a problem with Staples PM’ing, but I have had a clerk not know what they were doing.

Staples is very generous with their PM policy. They matched a 20% off all Canon cameras ad from OD for me, resulting in $90 off the price of a nice camera. They didn’t have it in stock, so they shipped it to my house for free. I love dealing with Staples.

well, if no1 every told you this, then I will be the first

Price matching is very very high milage
so Price matching is "YMMV"
if price matching works, I am happy, if it doesn’t work, no big deal

Still waiting to receive the MIR I did send last Nov and shamefully still, they call it easy rebate.

Well, went to pricematch K-Marts ad for the $6.99 Sonys and had to remind the cashier about the pricematch policy. The sign at the service desk clearly stated “if you find a lower price anywhere (excluding online) we will refund 110% of the difference”. Too bad for him he probably didn’t excel at math, instead of matching it to be $6.29/6.30 he did it at $5.89. Lucky me, I ended up getting 6 25pks of T02’s for a total of $38.62 after tax. :bigsmile:

Good deal.

Was this sale in KMarts Circular, I could not find it. My Staple has loads of 25 spindles of Yuden Sonys. I wish I had the K-Mart circular.:sad:

Thanks a lot for the heads up on the Kmart sale!! :bow: :bow:

I’m going to PM some at Staples this afternoon if they have any.

If you go to Kmart’s web site, they have three circulars this week (in my area at least). The “Home Sale” circular has the Sony DVD+Rs for $6.99/25.

Please let us know if you could get from Staples (PM) and if they have the Sony one.

Well, went to pricematch K-Marts ad for the $6.99 Sonys and had to remind the cashier about the pricematch policy. The sign at the service desk clearly stated “if you find a lower price anywhere (excluding online) we will refund 110% of the difference”. Too bad for him he probably didn’t excel at math, instead of matching it to be $6.29/6.30 he did it at $5.89. Lucky me, I ended up getting 6 25pks of T02’s for a total of $38.62 after tax.

I believe their policy is 110% of the difference, not 10% off of the price matched to. So instead of 10% of $6.99 matching it to $6.30, they’d take the regular price (my math says $17.99) subtract the price match price ($6.99) and take 10% of that ($17.99 - $6.99 = $11.00 * 10% = $1.10) then subtract this off of the price matched price ($6.99 - $1.10 = $5.89). That should be how most do their 110% price matches anyway…

Okay, I’m back from my media odyssey. lol

I went to two Sears–they had no MIJ media at all. Even the 8x Sony DVD+R 25 packs were MIT! I always thought the 8x stuff was all MIJ, but I guess that’s not the case with 25 packs.

Then I went to Kmart and they had 1 25-pack that was MIJ, so I picked that up for $6.99. I grabbed the Home Sale ad and went to Staples. They also had only 1 25-pack of MIJ Sonys, so I PM’d for $5.89 + tax from the Kmart ad. Most of Staples media, even the 8x Sony 25-packs were MIT.

That was a lot of work for 50 Taiyo Yudens! I can’t stress enough that if you want this stuff, you better move fast!

Yep, I believe you are correct. My brain wasn’t working well this morning. :o Think I may go get the other 4 I left on the shelf. :smiley:

when i pricewatch, they always try to pull a fast one on me and only do the regular 100% pricematch but i never let them get away with it

That is what you call smart and informed consumer.

Off topic, Bestbuy only do 110% price match only after you have purchased the item, bring back the receipt and with the lower competator price ad, then they will do 110% price matching. But if you haven’t purchased the item and ask them to price match, they only match the price, they will not beat it. So to get a few dollar cheaper, you have to go through that hassle

Yeah, that’s why I prefer Staples and Circuit City over Best Buy if I have the choice.