Standard length of silence at start & end of track?

vbimport

Hi! I know! I know! It’s been a gazillion years since I’ve logged in here. It seems the universe has been playing a game of “Perfect Storm” with me for the last few months (or has it been years?!). But I digress…

I’m trying to tidy up my huge collection of home recorded MP3s and for starters I’d like to trim (or extend them) so that they all have a uniform silent segment at the beginning and end of each track.

I’m an old guy and I’m used to having a second or two (or three) in between songs.

I’m thinking that if I would like to have 3 seconds between songs on my playlists, then I could trim each MP3 so it has a 1.5 second lead in and the same for a tail out.

But, I’m wondering if there might not be a universal standard that I should get into the habit of observing, so that my home recorded MP3s will be compatible with the ones I buy from amazon.com and elsewhere.

Is there a consensus on this?

P.S. When I click on “Preview Post” my screen just goes completely white and blank. (It’s probably this danged “new” computer my cousin gave me a year-and-a-half ago and which I still haven’t figured out how to use. It’s running Windows 7, which drives me nuts! )

Will , It’s whatever you want for the .mp3s .
If you ever decide to write the .mp3s to a CD -R they will have the lead-in & lead-out you choose on the CD track.

For audio tracks on a CD 2 seconds is the standard if you want gaps.
If you are burning a CD with silence lead-in & out already on the .mp3s you would probably burn without gaps.

[QUOTE=cholla;2745711]Will , It’s whatever you want for the .mp3s .
If you ever decide to write the .mp3s to a CD -R they will have the lead-in & lead-out you choose on the CD track.

For audio tracks on a CD 2 seconds is the standard if you want gaps.
If you are burning a CD with silence lead-in & out already on the .mp3s you would probably burn without gaps.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cholla! Thanks for the speedy response!

I don’t plan to burn the MP3s to CDs, at least not for the purpose of playing them CD. I might want to archive them on CD, but for now I’m storing them on flash drives.

I’ve been using a prehistoric version of WinAmp to play my MP3s from playlists (you know me: “if it works, don’t fix it!”). And I have an equally antiquated Sansa armband MP3 player that I take with me whenever I go out.

Some of my MP3s don’t seem to have any lead-in or lead-out silence on them; so when I play them from a play list, it can be jarring to me to have one song cut abruptly to the next song.

From what you wrote, it looks like it’s up to me to decide the length of the gap I want between songs, and whether to have the lead-in and lead-outs the same length, or make one longer than the other.

Do you have an opinion on that?

Again it’s what you like. If you like a bit of silence between songs then add it.
If it seems too long then you probably added too much.

Some people even have a lead-in where the volume starts lower & increases to normal & then do the same on the lead out.

I usually just keep them as I get them & have no gap.
But that is my preference.