Standalones refuse to start playback with latest version of DVDFab

I got a problem with DVDs ripped by DVDFab HD Decrypter.

In early days I used DVDDecrypter + DVDShrink to copy my movies, later I used RipIt4Me and DVDShrink for that. Due to well-known circumstances with ripit I switched over to DVDFab HD Decrypter - which seems to be a great piece of software - THANKS to the whole team :bow:

I had backup up about 500 movies before I discovered DVDFab and I never hab problems with that.

Unfortuately, with the latest versions, my DVD Players ( Panasonic DMR-E85H and Philips 5960) refuse to play the backups.
The standalones recognice them as DVD-Video, try to load but fail to start the movie. I can manually jump the the second chapter and then rewind backwards to the 2nd or 3rd second to watch the movie!
But it doesn’t start at the beginning itself…

This doesn’t happen with all of my movies, but with at least 25% of them.
The last time it happened was with “Ghostrider”, “SpiderMan 3” and yesterday with “Pirates of the Caribbean”.

I did a test:
Ripped with DVDFab and shrunk with DVDShrink: NO playback
Ripped with DVDFab and shrunk with CloneDVD: NO playback
Ripped with DVDFab and shrunk with DVDFab Platinum 1.0.1.4 Trial : WORKS!

For burning I use ONLY unbranded TYG02, Verbatim branded MCC004 or MCC003RG20.
My burners are a BenQ 1650 and a Plextor 755A.

So, I’m sure the problem is the ripping software.
I really hope you guys can manage this problem, as I love your tool.
Thanks in advance,
Ronald

Hi Pianoman,

Love that username…:cool:
Not sure if this will help, but have you tried the latest version, 4.0.1.4?
There have been some problems/failures with some recent releases being compressed with shrink after ripping with DVDFab HD Decrypter. You may want to look at the thread :
Problem with HairSpray

Note the release notes for v.4.0.1.4:

[QUOTE=fengtao;1938493]Dear all,

DVDFab products 4.0.1.4 Beta is out (Nov 24, 2007):

DVDFab Platinum 4.0.1.4 Beta:
http://209.172.55.6/download/DVDFabPlatinum4014Beta.exe

DVDFab Gold 4.0.1.4 Beta:
http://209.172.55.6/download/DVDFabGold4014Beta.exe

DVDFab HD Decrypter 4.0.1.4 Beta:
http://209.172.55.6/download/DVDFabHDDecrypter4014Beta.exe

What’s New:

4.0.1.4 Beta (Nov 24, 2007)

• New: Improved DVD structure cleaning module.
  • New: Updated language files.
  • Fix: DVD Shrink “Out of memory” error when copying DVD in certain cases.
  • Fix: A crash problem when clicking “Settings” button in certain cases.
  • Fix: Several minor problems.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

Since platinum does it all successfully, have you considered using platinum?

the other reports were that shrink crashed , not that it apparently worked but then the burn did’nt play.

it seems it’s only a problem if you rip-compress-burn. can you burn and play an uncompressed rip, if you burn it with your other burn options ?

and can you play the “ripped with fab + compressed with shrink” movies on your PC, either from the burns or from the Hard Drive ?

answers to those questions may help narrow the problem down some.

[QUOTE=maineman;1940154]Hi Pianoman,
Love that username…:cool:[/QUOTE] Thanks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=maineman;1940154]Not sure if this will help, but have you tried the latest version, 4.0.1.4?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I tried with 4.0.1.4, same problem. Shrink does compress it without any errors, but the result refuses to play on my standalones.

[QUOTE=maineman;1940154]Since platinum does it all successfully, have you considered using platinum?[/QUOTE]
Yes I have considered this, and sooner or later, I will have to leave DVDShrink anyway (at least when using Vista64)…
But right now, I still LOVE this tool, the interface is perfect-simple and has all functions I need. Though, I’m trying the trial-version of DVDFab right now…

[QUOTE=cybmole;1940207]
it seems it’s only a problem if you rip-compress-burn. can you burn and play an uncompressed rip, if you burn it with your other burn options ? [/QUOTE] Do you mean: burning it to a DVD-DL? Unfortunately I don’t buy DL-media, so I can’t test this…

[QUOTE=cybmole;1940207]and can you play the “ripped with fab + compressed with shrink” movies on your PC, either from the burns or from the Hard Drive ?
[/QUOTE]
PowerDVD and VLC plays them fine!

those answers imply it’s probably a burn problem, not a rip or compress problem.

What software did you use at the burning stage, after shrinking with shrink or cloneDVD ?

next time you burn, try verifying the burn before deleting any hard drive files. When I needed to do this, I found a handy bit of freeware called Qverify - it will compare any 2 sets of files e.g. one set on a DVD-R and one set on a HD & report whether theya re identical or not. - I’'d attach a zip but at 112k it is just over the allowed attachement limit, so Google for it.

[QUOTE=cybmole;1940207]the other reports were that shrink crashed , not that it apparently worked but then the burn did’nt play.
[/QUOTE]
That’s correct and thanks for the info, but I’m aware of this since I was active and testing on the Hairspray thread. It is also why I added the qualifier, "Not sure if this will help, but have you tried the latest version, 4.0.1.4?"
The issue is that files ripped with Fab are not wholly compatible with other transcoding applications. Perhaps this extends to other burn engines, but this is unclear. It’s interesting that when viewed from the hdd, they play just fine. Anyway, it seemed reasonable to be certain the OP updated to 4.0.1.4, since Fengtao fixed the problem with files ripped with Fab and transcoded with shrink.

The OP has no problem ripping, compressing and burning within platinum.
His problems occur when the files are ripped with Fab and compressed with an application other than Fab, notably, CloneDVD and shrink.

Duplicate post…having server probs…apologies

I have decrypted using dvdfab decrypter, then burned using dvd fab platinum on a dvd-r which is compatible with my dvd player but the discs won’t play. It says error: playback feature not available on this disc… How do I fix the problem? The discs will play in my ps2 just fine but not my standalone. How do I enable a playback feature through dvdfab platinum so that I may watch on my player?

please make your own thread, ciaramystic!

[QUOTE=cybmole;1940280]those answers imply it’s probably a burn problem, not a rip or compress problem.[/QUOTE]
I’m absolutely sure it’s not a burning issue, since I NEVER get any bad burns with my combination of burner (plex 755/benq 1650), media (Verb MCC004, TYG02) or software (IMGBurn - latest version and/or Nero 7.10).
My problems started with the latest versions of DVDFab HD Decrypter - never had any issues before…

[QUOTE=maineman;1940332]
The OP has no problem ripping, compressing and burning within platinum.
His problems occur when the files are ripped with Fab and compressed with an application other than Fab, notably, CloneDVD and shrink.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clarifying that!

Dear guys, a little update on my problem:

1. ) Latest version of DVDFab (4.0.1.6) didn’t help, even with “Remove useless cells” disabled (unchecked).

2.) But I made a big mistake concerning my not-playing backups:
The DO play in both of my standalones, but they need a very long start-time.

“Pirates of the Caribbean 3” - ripped with 4.0.1.2 needs about 60 seconds to start playback. The player recognizes the DVD, says “playing” and then I have to wait ~60 seconds

Yesterday I made a backup of “Grey’s Anatomy” - Season 2 - Disc one and two with 4.0.1.6.
I ripped both DVDs and then did a compilation in Shrink’s “Reauthor Mode”. I copied the first three episodes onto one disc (Verb MCC004 MIT) and then the last episode from the first movie-disc along with episode 5-6 (from the movie-disc2) to another blank.

After my Panasonic standalone recognizes the disc, it takes 40 seconds to start the first episode. After the episode is over, it takes again 40 seconds to start the next episode…and so on…

Interresting:
When opening the rips in DVDShrink and clicking on one main movie (episode), i can see the slider under the preview window moving quickly a little to the right, as it would jump over the first seconds.

I give you the screenshot.

Dear fengtao, I would really appreciate your help on this!!

Hi Pianoman

I have got the same problem since using 4014 Platinum. I backed up The Simpsons Movie using Customize Movie mode and ticked the box to Preserve Menus.
When trying to play back in my standalones it took ages to start. i then found that if I pressed “NEXT” on the standalone remote a couple of times the movie would suddenly start.
I also noticed that on the standalone display, when the disc was first inserted, it would go through a few titles/chapters - which were obviously deleted in Customize Mode - then get to the title for the main movie and then play. The Simpsons Movie has alot of trailers, copy warnings etc which must of been deleted with me chosing Customize Mode.

I did another backup, this time with Pathplayer Enabled to allow me to change playback order. I selected Jump to First Menu as I want to be able to select the Audio.
This time it started playback immediately and went to the Main menu as asked.

I don’t know if this will help, but I’m sure it has something to do with the standalones trying to read titles/chapters that are not there anymore.

StirlingMac, exactly what i was thinking. ive seen this a few times but was able to correct with using main movie. and this was addressed with 4010, looks like still needs some more work.:slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-4-0-1-0-out-231744/#post1929712

troy

to do with the standalones trying to read titles/chapters that are not there anymore.

So the time it is taking is to try and read them and then failing, waiting for the failure before it is ready to go?

I use “Main Movie” on most all my backups, and have noticed much longer startup times in the last few weeks. I was getting real worried that I was making a bunch of coasters, but found out that if I left them in long enough, they would start and play fine.

I think people in this thread are repsonding to different products. I assumed this thread was about the FREE DVDFabHdDecrypter. When reading some of the posts I am not sure when the poster says DVDFab. :confused:

Yea, i’m talking about the Free DVDFab HDDDecrypter not working flawless with DVDShrink.

Dear fengtao!

It seems to me like all of these problems are gone with the latest beta (4.0.2.0). Shrink can read and encode my “Grey’s Anatomy” discs all fine, other movies too, my standalone plays them immediately! :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about IFO/Cell…authoring stuff, but I’m very interrested in [B]how you solved this problem[/B]??

Has this something to do with the empty cells, wich blutach mentioned?

Hi Pianoman,

Yes, the latest beta of DVDFab changed the logic to not create empty cell, instead we create a cell with a very short black video, so the compatible problem is gone.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Thanks, it’s really great to hear that!!