Standalone Toshiba DVD players & -R media issues?

Anyone heard of any issues with standalone Toshiba DVD players (not HD) and using -R media? Someone stated they couldn’t playback any -R type burned DVD.

Search on videohelp.com for answers.

[QUOTE=videobruce;1923526]Anyone heard of any issues with standalone Toshiba DVD players (not HD) and using -R media? Someone stated they couldn’t playback any -R type burned DVD.[/QUOTE]

Toshiba standalone players are designed to playback -R media no problem, However they will not playback +R unless booktyped to DVD-ROM. Even though toshiba’s support -R i have seen and tested myself with +R not booktyped to DVD-ROM and it still played in the toshiba as long as the +R disc was made with a DVD rom burner and not from another standalone that can record +R. As you notice your toshiba standalone will only burn -R not +R.
Commerical DVD’s are DVD-ROM, By booktyping a +R to DVD-ROM the toshiba standalone will play it but in reality it’s still a +R. The booktyping is just fooling the standalone. I will also tell you when it comes to toshiba’s standalones that even if your DVD burner can burn +R or + R DL discs and booktype them to DVD-ROM it still may not play. Toshiba’s don’t like DL’s booktyped to DVD-ROM from any Samsung SB203B,N or 204’s. However Toshiba’s standalones will accept +R booktyped to dvd-rom from the samsungs. It will play any discs made from Plextors, LG, BenQ, Liteon except 20A3H models, and Pioneer. When it comes to -R it should play back no matter what model DVD burner made the disc. +R and +R DL different. Gave you more info then you needed. Thats the scoop, One last thing media plays a role even though the player likes -R does’nt mean use the cheapest sh** you can get because it can fail to playback on that alone.

Whew…

My mistake. I misunderstood him. It was the +Rs’ that had the problem. :o

As to all these OEM names that aren’t on the box, how the hell can you tell who actually makes these discs other than buying every type in the store and analyzing them at home?

Do tou write off all private label discs; Office Depot, BB, CC, etc.??

I don’t buy a lot of discs but when I do I only buy from well known brands. Where I live I can get Verbatim (MIT), Sony and Panasonic (MIJ) in retail stores so that’s what I buy. :iagree:

But, how do you know what you are getting? Those ‘brand’ names are only who sells the media, not who actually made it. Which means it could be different the next time around.

It won’t be different since these brands always sell the same discs. Also they are known to only sell quality media.

[QUOTE=videobruce;1924185]Whew…

My mistake. I misunderstood him. It was the +Rs’ that had the problem. :o

As to all these OEM names that aren’t on the box, how the hell can you tell who actually makes these discs other than buying every type in the store and analyzing them at home?

Do tou write off all private label discs; Office Depot, BB, CC, etc.??[/QUOTE]

Kind of easy, The blank DVD packages say -R or +R blanks.