Stand Alone DVD player says "Bad Disc"

vbimport

Hi Everyone, I’ve been backing up DVD’s for a couple of years now, but I’m new to this site.

I just got 5 new DVD’s yesturday and tried backing them up and 4 backed up without a problem, but when I went to play them in my stand alone dvd player, the player says “Bad Disc”. I can open them up on my computer and play them without a problem. I’m using DVD Shrink and AnyDVD 6.3.1.6.

Movies:
101 Dalmations
Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium
Awake
Gone Baby Gone

I’ve just recently went from using Nero 6 to Nero 8 this week. Could this have something to do with it? (By the way, Nero 8 completely slows down my computer, I’m not too impressed with it).

My fifth disc was “Into the Wild” I get to about 40% and get Cyclic Redundancy Check, I almost never have this happen anymore as long as I have the latest version of AnyDVD.

Any input would be great! Thanks

rip “into the wild” to the hard drive using anydvd. use dvdshrink to open the file saved to the hard drive. this always works for me when I have a problem with certain dvd movies. As for your dvd player saying bad disc I not know what would be wrong for that.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.3.1.6)
TSSTCORP CDDVDW SH-S203N SB01 0822
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2059008 sectors (4021 MBytes)
Total size: 4069334 sectors (7947 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: INTO_THE_WILD_D1
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 4!

Found & removed RCE protection!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2028512 sectors (3961 MBytes)
Total size: 3482513 sectors (6801 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: MR_MAGORIUMS_16X9
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2211262 sectors (4318 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: AWAKE
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

[U]These titles as you see are just CSS encryption protection only nothing special so CRC Errors is a resort to a bad disc.[/U]

[B]Gone Baby Gone I can assist you on that if you tell me what Operating System you are using as XP is different than Vista for this title.[/B]

What kind of DVDs are you using? Brand, MID, etc?

The “bad disc” errors are typically media related. Meaning that you are using a media brand/type that your DVD player doesn’t like. Especially when the disc is fully playable on your PC. Try using a different brand/type of media. A quality media such as Verbatim or Taio Yuden is the most compatible.

The Disks I’m using are TDK…I got them at Costco. I’ve been burning with them for a while and haven’t had a problem until yesturday…

Oh and Dr. Who…I’m using XP.

OK then GBG shouldn’t be giving you an issue but you need to rip to the hard drive first using only anydvd.

The best options are listed in order:

1. The best way to rip using Anydvd is to use Clonedvd2 (if you want video files and not a sector 1:1 rip).
    You select “dvd +/- R DL” near the quality bar in Clonedvd, and choose “dvd files” as the output method, if you
    wish to use another program to transcode or encode. You can then import those files into another program if you wish.

If you can’t or are not willing to do Step 1, this is how you rip using Anydvd:

1. You don’t need to rip at all and can just directly import the disc directly into whatever burning application you want, provided Anydvd is running in the background. You don’t necessarily need to rip first at all. Not having to rip first is one major advantage of using Anydvd.

2. If you can’t get what you want using #1 and #2 first, then you right click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select “rip video-dvd to hard disk”–but only if methods 1 and 2 fail first.

Try burning the problematic movie again, use ImgBurn. If the standalone says “Bad disc”, try Verbatim DVDs.
The same problem has happened to me and i solved it by switching to better media or burning the movie again with a different program.
IN MY EXPERIENCE, TDK is not very reliable, some people might disagree, but that has been my experience.
Also, what burner are you using?

On Gone Baby Gone and Shrink & Nero users you must first right click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "rip video-dvd to hard disk"m then process through shrink or nero.