Stand Alone CD Copying

This is one hell of a site and I am ever fascinated by Copy Protection of all sorts.

I was wondering how copy protection works when it comes to stand alone disc to disc copy recorders. Both CD and DVD.

What kind of precautions are taken from the big companies to prevent the consumer from making copies using stand alones??

And also I was wondering how they prevent copying the CD’s onto cassette tapes, such as If I connected a CD player to a boom box, is such a thing preventable?? If so how??

I know Macrovision prevents copying from DVD to VHS, but to my knowledge I don’t think they provide that technology for CD’s.

Do cassette tapes still exist these days? :eek:

Yes they do. They are used often in the ripping process if all else fails.

I was in south asia a few months ago, in Iran, and Afghanistan, and you could see all these bootleg shops in all around the cities which carry everything from major artists from their countries as well as major artists from the US and Europe. I asked a few owners how they managed to create these CD’s and they told me that they weren’t that advanced in computers so they have someone transfer from CD to Cassette Tape and then back to CD again, where they make duplications for which they sell in these shops.

I didn’t bother to tell him that transfering in this way makes the quality of the actual CD go downhill, because I don’t think he would have cared lol.

But I guess it’s used in these places where they have no knowledge of dbpoweramp or cd clone, etc. etc.

But back to the main topic, I would like to know if copy prevention can prevent transfering from CD to Cassette or Disc to Disc by use of Stand Alone hardware.

Can such a thing be done??

I don’t think CD’s can be protected against copying to casettes. A CD player has no control over what’s connected to its analog output.

Copying a CD like that not only affects the quality, it also takes a very long time, because the CD needs to be played completely at 1x to record it to a cassette. Then this cassette needs to be played once again to get it back on CD. After that it goes a lot quicker to make copies of this selfmade CD.

You can take the audio output of the normal stand-alone CD player directly into a program like Audacity. You have some extra work to do (cutting and numbering tracks, and exporting as WAV or MP3) but if your set-up is good I don´t think you´ll lose too much quality.

(I learned all this from Taxman and Rolling :D)