St. Anger: Post Your Reactions

vbimport

Man, I’ve been looking forward to this CD for so long, being the hardcore Metallica fanboy I am. And using my “it can’t possibly suck” fanboy attitude I shambled to my local record store and shelled out my 15.25 and walked to my car humming happily! I exited my car at my house about an hour later grimacing. How could a band go from producing ass kicking songs like “Battery” and “For Whom The Bell Tolls” and classics like "One and “Call of the Ktulu” to making craptastic ass-fest like St. Anger?! The only remotely good song on this horrible CD is its title track which is only moderately good.

All in all keep your currency, regardless of the type. This CD isn’t worth the disc it’s stamped on.

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]Man, I’ve been looking forward to this CD for so long, being the hardcore Metallica fanboy I am. And using my “it can’t possibly suck” fanboy attitude I shambled to my local record store and shelled out my 15.25 and walked to my car humming happily! I exited my car at my house about an hour later grimacing. How could a band go from producing ass kicking songs like “Battery” and “For Whom The Bell Tolls” and classics like "One and “Call of the Ktulu” to making craptastic ass-fest like St. Anger?! The only remotely good song on this horrible CD is its title track which is only moderately good.

All in all keep your currency, regardless of the type. This CD isn’t worth the disc it’s stamped on.
[/B]

Metallica albums haven’t been worth the disc thier on since the black album. I agree how can they go from what I thought the best band there was to such a bunch of pussies! I,m pretty sure it all happened when they hired the producer of motley crue “bob rock” for and since the black album. He turned them severely gay.

It is for this reason I am happy that the store I usually buy my CDs from has a return policy…(within one week I can return a CD if I don’t like it, after listening. Can do this only once for every bought cd though, so there are restrictions)

just my opinion as a rock addict

many bands start to suck afther they get famous
Metallica started this afther the black album…i have al their albums before that…and still listen to them

But the new album… i don’t even think about buy it.

who’s metallica?

bought it and wanted to get some free bonus music but that website is down.:frowning:

So i will try again tomorrow.

@kwkard

is it a good album? compared to older albums?

After listening to it several times i find there are about 3-4 songs i like. But its nothing compared to older albums. I still think “Ride The Lightning” and “Black Album” are so much better.

And i just checked the site again, and wow, what a surprise, its still down. You’d think that they could have a site up and running so that when you buy the cd you can take advantage of all it has to offer. Although the dvd is a nice touch.

I also think one of the reasons i like the older albums better is because the guitar playing is so much better. There’s not really a song on here that i would consider a guitar masterpiece, such as The Call Of Ktulu on Ride The Lightning.

sorry to hear

goodbye Metallica…

A friend of mine bought the album today, giving me a change to give the sucker a try.

After skipping through some tracks, I found that the style of music and playing is quite different from all the Metallica we’ve heard before.

First, they made raw speedmetal. Really good music. After the black album, they changed their style into something more commercial. Nice music, but not for 20% as good as the old metallica. Now with St. Anger they are back, with a completely different style. It sure is raw… and quite different!

I can’t really tell wether they are back or not… in my opinion, St. Anger is better than albums like (re)load etc but it can’t compete with the old albums.

I’ve heard it and I think I’ll listen again a few times…if I decide I like it, I’ll buy it…
(but I really don’t think so, as Metallica’s attitude is about the worst of the planet)

Still at the undecided stage myself. I kinda accepted that metallica had to change again, after load + reload just being more of the same they needed something different

I guess this is pretty different, and it sure is pretty heavy. Not quite nu-metal riffing, but not old school, somewhere nicely in between. After a few more listens to it I’ll make up my mind.

BTW : Does anyone elses DVD play up, my volume seems like someone is messing with it all the way through. I’m just in the process of re-coding it now, dunno why they couldn’t normalize it themselves though??

Originally posted by Down&Out
BTW : Does anyone elses DVD play up, my volume seems like someone is messing with it all the way through.

I have the same sound problem here.

What a ripoff. They finally got their website up for users that bought the cd to sign up and receive music. Its a load of crap. Its only songs from live shows and heres the kicker, its mp3 128kbps!!!:frowning: :a

So not only does the dvd have volume problems, but the music you download sounds horrible. The quality of the sound on the cd is good, but did they just decide to slack when it comes to dvd and downloads?:confused:

Also it would seem that the mp3s do not have any form of drm so thats a plus. But a bitrates like that, who wants to copy it and share it with 1000 people?

My reccomendation: don’t buy this album, its not worth it. They hype up the 3-4 good songs with a free dvd (with problems) and free music off the web (which sounds bad). I can’t believe this marketing crap. Now i remember why I don’t buy cds.

Oh and one more quick point. The cd only contains a trailer of the metallica game (why would anyone buy this???:confused: ) that deosn’t even give details about it, and links to the metallica website and the website where you download this crap quality music. Metallica Vault

Its only songs from live shows and heres the kicker, its mp3 128kbps!

Those must be the quality standards that Lars was talking about… :Z

St. Anger sounds like speed for the sake of speed. I think I’d rather hear a continuation of where they left off with Reload than this half-assed attempt at OH-SO-HARDCORE METAL. Kill 'em All to the Black Album were all great, but this album will never be confused with vintage, awesome Metallica.

I flush it down, I flush it down.

It kinda surprises me that nobody here is positive about this album. A friend of mine, Metallica fan from tip to toe, collected quite some threads about this album on various boards and it seems that there are actually quite some people that really like this album.

I’m still asking myself what to think of it…

And with all the people loving the album, why not try the video game? :wink:

@Savannah: After clicking the link for the metallica game, zone alarm poped up and asked if ugo20.exe could access the internet.

I was lke what the hell is this. So i look and it tells me the location is C:\windows\downloaded program files" i right clicked the properties for the program in zone alarm and it said that the application couldn’t be found.

So i google it. No results. Found a result on alltheweb.com but it didn’t provide any relevant info.

So i go to the folder in windows explorer, no such file ot be found.

Everyone might want to keep an eye out for this.

Anyway, why anyone would want to play a metallica video game is beyond me.

i listen to the album yesterday…

hmm…it is not that bad afther all…i mean…not as bad as the previous one (forgot the name)
It looked if they mixed all kind of modern metal/rock in this new album.

But it not even close to their old albums…

Hmm, strange. I just tried the link in Opera (My main browser) and it works, also tried it with IE and it also works. Im not using any firewall, but why that happened is beyond me. Heres the article below.

Source - here
Vivendi Universal Games signed an exclusive worldwide development agreement with the now legendary rock band, Metallica. The deal includes publishing rights for a Multi-Platform Action Game featuring the band’s music and Voice-overs

According to Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) the deal is an exclusive multi-year agreement with a contract which grants VU Games the worldwide rights to publish and distribute a multi-platform vehicle combat action game featuring music, voice-overs and inspiration from the band. Scheduled for release in 2005, the game will be produced in collaboration with Segnana, Inc., a company that partners with Metallica on interactive and online endeavors.

The new title ? a high action, third person vehicle combat game packed with fully customized vehicles and weaponry, endless terrain and desperate, murderous opponents ? will include voice-overs from band members, incidental background music and other exclusive content from Metallica. Under terms of the contract, Metallica will also record an original song exclusively for the game along with a music video featuring elements from the interactive experience. A sneak-peek trailer of the title will appear on Metallica?s new album, St. Anger, which hits store shelves on June 5, 2003, and will also be featured during the band?s Summer Sanitarium Tour kicking-off July 4th in Detroit, Michigan.

We are excited to bring game fans an interactive entertainment experience that delivers intense vehicular combat action along with the powerful music and energy of Metallica, said Luc Vanhal, Vivendi Universal Games’ President and COO, North America. Today’s announcement further underscores Vivendi Universal Games commitment to work with leading artists in the entertainment industry to create engaging interactive products that appeal to the expanding games audience.

Additional product information ? including the title name, developer and platforms ? will be announced at a later date.

refuse to buy this album. not much into metallica anymore. perhaps it was my roommate playing their music all the time. at a time, metallica was such a great band, notbody could touch them. but now, bleh.

a metallica game?! no thanks. for metal, i have really been enjoying staind. they put out some good music methinks. cheers.