SSE2 of Pentium 4 really needed for Photoshop?

Hi guys, I’m quite a newbbie in this forum, but I’ve read the Intel or AMD guide written by dee-ehn, which was very usefull.

I have to build my machine for working basically with graphic editing programs (Adobe Photoshop) and I’ found around there (aund in the guide) that Photoshop is one of the few software packages already working with SSE2. This, of course, is an Intel advantage and also the HT of the latest Pentiums, cause PS works great on Multi Processors (or “looks like”) systems, and, like is also expressed in the guide, Intel is the best choice for graphics programs from the “performance point of view”.
The “little” problem is the Price issue. I’m very budget limited so, I can’t but a P4 3.06 G or more, so the HT is not an advantage for me any more.
And, in my country, you can get an XP 2500PR Barton core for U$S 140 (Yes, expensive, I know) but a P4 2.4GHZ FSB 533 is U$S 246!!! (almost 100 bucks more).
What I’d like to know, if any of you can help me, is if the performance difference between the above mentioned processors (or, basically XP vs. P4 with SSE2) really worth the money.

Thanks in advance

August

Thanx for reading my guide (I have to update it btw, it’s not very up-to-date anymore)… and btw… welcome to our forum :slight_smile:

A P4@2,4Ghz will mostlikely perform slightly better than a Barton 2500+, depending on the operations you do in photoshop. If you only do a lot of simple things in photoshop (color -> bw, hue/saturation adjustments etc), I’d stick with the Athlon, as you won’t notice the difference in speed, so you’ll save money.
BUT… if you are into more heavier things (all kinds of efects eagering for lots of CPU power), the SSE2 feature of the P4 will come in handy.

Another option is to wait for the Athlon 64 with SSE implemented. I don’t know about the price, but as I know AMD, it won’t be too high (even the server version, the Opeteron, isn’t really expensive…).

Originally posted by Doctor_Jones
And, in my country, you can get an XP 2500PR Barton core for U$S 140 (Yes, expensive, I know) but a P4 2.4GHZ FSB 533 is U$S 246!!! (almost 100 bucks more).

Almost… maybe you have to re-calculate!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thx, Dee-ehn for the repy and the advice,

August

BTW, I meant “around” 100 bucks :wink: