SSDs Price drop

vbimport

Now the Vertex 3 120gbs SSD is selling at the price of the Vertex 2 120gbs just a few weeks back. Now I can buy a 120gb Vertex 3 for 199.99USD ( rebate of 20.00) 219.99 without rebate. The Vertex 2 is 50 dollars less now. The prices are beginning to break.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2600110]The prices are beginning to break.[/QUOTE]

Let’s talk about this when a 1 TB drive will cost around €60 like “old” HDD :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2600119]Let’s talk about this when a 1 TB drive will cost around €60 like “old” HDD :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I’ll be dead by then, lets talk about it now while I can still enjoy one.:wink:

That’s a very nice price, working out cheaper than the Vertex 2 over here! :eek:

At this stage it’s come to the point where PC makers could easily supply medium and upper range PCs with one, with a side-by-side TV demo in shops to show the difference (e.g. booting up, copying files, etc.)

[QUOTE=Seán;2600124]That’s a very nice price, working out cheaper than the Vertex 2 over here! :eek:

At this stage it’s come to the point where PC makers could easily supply medium and upper range PCs with one, with a side-by-side TV demo in shops to show the difference (e.g. booting up, copying files, etc.)[/QUOTE]
Its even cheaper on Amazon but not that much, I like the online retailer I linked to.:wink: The fact still remains, the larger SSDs are very expensive, anything over 120gbs is still out of my range ( pricewise) but in my humble opinion it wont be long until the 450gb and larger SSDs are cheap enough to put in a build and not make it the most expensive part in the build.:wink: Apple offers a 500gb SSD with their MacBookPro Laptops, but its out of my range pricewise.

As a desktop drive, this capacity is ideal for the vast majority of users. My Windows 7 x64 installation is nearly 2 years old and my OS drive has just 49GB used, so I’m a long way off filling up my 120GB SSD. On the other hand, I’ve my profile (Desktop, Documents, etc. folders) redirected to a 2TB HDD, so the only thing filling the SSD is the OS and applications, which benefit from the speed.

I’d imagine once the 240GB models come down enough, this would attract a much wider audience as this would give plenty of capacity for game installations as well as laptops where the user cannot map their bulky profile directories to a spacious HDD.

At the moment, huge SSDs (>250GB) don’t really offer any benefit other than additional storage capacity for laptop users. Even still, I’m sure 99+% of laptop users with filled 500GB+ HDDs would easily get away moving nearly all that data to a portable HDD to replace with a small SSD, such as moving films and TV shows they’ve already watched or Gigabytes of old holiday photos that they only show online to their friends (e.g. via Facebook.)

I think the rest of this year and a good part of next year, you will see a consolidation of where SSDs are at.
The high performance SSDs such as those based on SandForce SF-2281 and also the Marvell based SDDs have it all their own way as far as performance is concerned, so they demand a price premium.

They won’t have it all their own way for much longer, as there will soon be a Indilinx/OCZ and Samsung SATA 6Gbps solutions, and the big guns in storage (WD and Seagate) still haven’t joined the party, but they will soon.

The problem at the moment is profit margins are being squeezed, NAND is still very expensive, so high performance SSDs. and large capacity SSDs will always have that price premium.

Also, if you think you have seen fast now (OCZ Vertex 3) then you ain’t seen nothing yet. SATA 6Gbps is already saturated by the Vertex 3, and the days are now (at last) numbered for using the slow South Bridge (PCH) for high performance storage. SATA Express will start to appear late this year, and at last will be moved to the very much faster North Bridge.

When this happens you can expect to see SSD processors with many more channels to the NAND array, from the now common 8 channel controllers, and also NAND itself will reach 166MB/s per NAND die. Inside a year, you can expect to see 1GB/s read/write become the norm.

As for prices. Just remember one thing.
Developing these drives won’t be cheap, so don’t expect the prices to drop that much.

[QUOTE=Dee;2600134]I think the rest of this year and a good part of next year, you will see a consolidation of where SSDs are at.
The high performance SSDs such as those based on SandForce SF-2281 and also the Marvell based SDDs have it all their own way as far as performance is concerned, so they demand a price premium.

They won’t have it all their own way for much longer, as there will soon be a Indilinx/OCZ and Samsung SATA 6Gbps solutions, and the big guns in storage (WD and Seagate) still haven’t joined the party, but they will soon.

The problem at the moment is profit margins are being squeezed, NAND is still very expensive, so high performance SSDs. and large capacity SSDs will always have that price premium.

Also, if you think you have seen fast now (OCZ Vertex 3) then you ain’t seen nothing yet. SATA 6Gbps is already saturated by the Vertex 3, and the days are now (at last) numbered for using the slow South Bridge (PCH) for high performance storage. SATA Express will start to appear late this year, and at last will be moved to the very much faster North Bridge.

When this happens you can expect to see SSD processors with many more channels to the NAND array, from the now common 8 channel controllers, and also NAND itself will reach 166MB/s per NAND die. Inside a year, you can expect to see 1GB/s read/write become the norm.

As for prices. Just remember one thing.
Developing these drives won’t be cheap, so don’t expect the prices to drop that much.[/QUOTE]
Hi Wendy:
I just hope that I can replace my Vertex 2 drives with something a little larger for a decent price. Right now I have 3 builds, all have Vertex 2 drives, if in the not too distant future we can expect to see 1gb read/write, I am going to stick with my Vertex 2 drives , they are close to 300,000 mbs , not quite but close. ( in the 280,000mbps range) . I may just pass on the Vertex 3, I will wait for my next build, when the i7 3960X is out and hope these new SSD drives will be available next year when Ivy Bridge is also available.

Now the OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) has dropped in price to [B]159.99 after rebate[/B] and 189.99 before. Not sure about this model, I only have tried the Vertex models.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081611&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081611--EMC-081611-Index--SSD-_-20227726-L0A

Vertex 3 uses [B]synchronous NAND[/B] while Agility 3 uses [B]asynchronous NAND[/B].
Synchronous NAND is faster and therefore more expensive than asynchronous NAND.

Vertex 3 is around 30% - 40% faster.

[QUOTE=Dee;2600224]Vertex 3 uses [B]synchronous NAND[/B] while Agility 3 uses [B]asynchronous NAND[/B].
Synchronous NAND is faster and therefore more expensive than asynchronous NAND.

Vertex 3 is around 30% - 40% faster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wendy, I knew there had to be a reason but the reviews do not tell a true story then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081611&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081611--EMC-081611-Index--SSD-_-20227726-L0A

Max Read:
up to 525 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 280 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)

Max Write:
up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 260 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)

4KB Random Read: 20,000 IOPS (75 MB/s)
4KB Random Write: 50,000 IOPS (195 MB/s)
Maximum 4KB Random Write: 85,000 IOPS (330 MB/s)

Sequential Read AS-SSD: 195 MB/s
Sequential Write AS-SSD: 130 MB/s

4K Random Read AS-SSD: 23,000 IOPS (90 MB/s)
4K Random Write AS-SSD: 35,500 IOPS (140 MB/s)

Which reviews, Alan?

Sequential Read AS-SSD: 195 MB/s
Sequential Write AS-SSD: 130 MB/s

Threaded I assume?
4K Random Read AS-SSD: 23,000 IOPS (90 MB/s)
4K Random Write AS-SSD: 35,500 IOPS (140 MB/s)

Now compare to a V3
OK, I know the 240GB drive is faster anyway. BUT. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2600262]Which reviews, Alan?

Now compare to a V3
OK, I know the 240GB drive is faster anyway. BUT. :)[/QUOTE]
Not our review Wendy, my fault I should have said that. I was talking about the stats posted on Newegg on what the seq read and write speeds are for the drive. Click on the link. They are refering to Max Read/Write at SATA6Gps.

I am sorry if I made anyone think it was the reviews at MyCE that posted this. I was not .:o

60gb Vertex Plus for 49.99USD after 10.00 rebate. Good deal for this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227738&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082611&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082611--EMC-082611-Index--SSD-_-20227738-L0A

It’s also a pretty good performer as well, using Indilinx Arowana FTL with HyperQueuing.

[QUOTE=Dee;2601539]It’s also a pretty good performer as well, using Indilinx Arowana FTL with HyperQueuing.[/QUOTE]
I bought one , I couldnt pass up a 60gb SSD for 49.99, thats less than 1.00 a gb.

Okay guys and gals, the OCZ Solid 3 drive is now 134.99 with a rebate on Newegg, its 120gbs and it has great reviews, does anyone have this drive , maybe give me some feedback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227729&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL092211&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL092211--EMC-092211-Index--SSD-_-20227729-L0B

The Solid 3 is the cheapest but also the slowest member of the OCZ SF2281 family of SSDs.
It uses asynchronous NAND, rather than the synchronous NAND that the Vertex 3 uses, it’s still a fast SSD though.
New firmware for the full range of OCZ SF-2281 based SSDs (2.13) has just been released and fixes the rare cornering issue that caused the drive to give a BSOD when an unsafe power shut down occurred.

This issue is most certainly caused by P67/Z68/H67, and they simply worked around the issue by disabling SF-2281 slumber and partual power states. In fact the same fix that Intel used on the 510 SSD, and Crucial done the same with C300 and M4.

TIP.
Intel will launch the 520 series of SSDs in a couple of weeks. It looks like it will almost certainly use the SF2281. Anyone want to bet that P67/Z68/H67 gets a fix at around the time of the 520 launch. :smiley:

Thanks Wendy , I also looked at the Vertex Plus 120Gb drive and it was cheaper than the above.
I have 2X Vertex 2, 120gb SSDs, they work great in Hibernate and all sleep modes. I know they do not have the 2281 controller, but they are very reliable, granted they are not the fastest SSDs, only 280,000 read, write, but they are reliable. I do not know if I want a drive that wont work in sleep or hibernate modes, very aggravating. But I guess thats the way technology progresses, slowly and if you want the cutting edge you have to deal with RMAs. Personally I am happy with my Vertex 2 drives, I would like to have a larger one but not willing to pay the price. To tell you the truth, I am happy with the Vertex 2 for now.Plus I do not have to deal with work arounds. Thanks for the info.:flower:

The SF2281 (Vertex 3/Agility 3/ Solid 3) allows sleep no problem.
Slumber and partial are extended power saving states.

Partial for example, will activate within 100 microseconds of non activity, and emerge from partial just a fast. Unfortunately. Intel screwed up this in the chipset. The IME clock generator on the mobo chipset hangs, so it no longer knows there is an SSD connected. If this happens to be the OS drive, the system then hung.

By disabling these two power states, Sandforce have worked around this issue. It doesn’t prevent the system from going to sleep or hibernation.