SSD prices tumbling fast - lowest in three years now

vbimport

SSD prices tumbling fast - lowest in three years now.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/10/coxj2Y.jpg[/newsimage]The Solid State Disk (SSD) market is heavily competitive and we're seeing the first signs of benefits for consumers as at the moment the prices of SSDs are rapidly declining, according to analysts.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-prices-tumbling-fast-lowest-in-three-years-now-65385/](http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-prices-tumbling-fast-lowest-in-three-years-now-65385/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The 512GB drives have to be about 300USD before I feel comfortable, not that I haven’t found some at that price but they are few and far between, and the premium drives seem to be holding above 500USD. About 1.00USD a gb.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2669592]The 512GB drives have to be about 300USD before I feel comfortable, not that I haven’t found some at that price but they are few and far between, and the premium drives seem to be holding above 500USD. About 1.00USD a gb.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I won’t be buying them any time soon until the prices are comparable to HDD prices for the bytes your buying for it doesn’t financial make sound to purchase SSD until they come far down in prices.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2669608]That’s why I won’t be buying them any time soon until the prices are comparable to HDD prices for the bytes your buying for it doesn’t financial make sound to purchase SSD until they come far down in prices.[/QUOTE]I think you’ll have a very long wait in this case.
As long as HDDs are still around, SSDs will always demand a price premium, simply because of their performance. I guess that is why many people bought HDDs like the WD VRaptor, as they were willing to pay extra for the extra performance.

Still to much for me I have at least four old ATA HDDs that are still in the box never used. I have been using USB thumb drives for extra storage. Worked out pretty well when I was in school.

As the main advantage of an SSD is quick boot and windows 8 is quick with a standard drive I will miss on one

A new milestone will be when the SSD’s reach less 50 cents per GB (in the higher capacities) … and we’ve come close to this on the lower quality SSD’s on the market during BF sales… (~$150 for 256gb).

Still, mass market adoption won’t occur UNTIL prices represent a 20% premium over HDD comparables. At this point, the HDD industry will be in trouble… when consumers can get a 4tb SSD for 6 cents per GB instead of 50 cents. However, I sincerely doubt the SSD market wants to destroy the HDD market… if they did, they could’ve done so a long time ago, as 1tb SSD platforms were already available 2+ years ago-- albeit pricing as astronomical (artificially, as it is a niche market making a couple thousand drives a year vs hundreds of millions per year).

I paid $59.99 for a 120gb

on a 256gb I’m looking for <$120, preferably the mid $90’s

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2669608]That’s why I won’t be buying them any time soon until the prices are comparable to HDD prices for the bytes your buying for it doesn’t financial make sound to purchase SSD until they come far down in prices.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never understood comments like the above. Why not just buy a 128GB SSD (which are very reasonably priced) for OS and Apps and keep a large HDD or two for other data?

Two reasons we avoid putting SSDs in all of our customers’ machines: (1) reliability issues still require a double-purchase for an immediate clone creation, thus doubling the initial price while assuring the customer of near zero downtime, and (2) customers still lack discipline in using the Boot SSD only for very particular purposes. “I’ll just save this download HERE because it’s quick and easy at this split second of my oh-so-valuable day. I can’t afford to BROWSE and waste that extra few seconds!”

This is also the same reason we try to avoid partitioning hard-drives as well, because some customers lack the discipline to think before doing. [I]If saving computer files were like jumping off cliffs…[/I]

Well, that reminds me of Greta Garbo’s early comment in NINOTCHKA. “Yes, the Party is finding more traitors to execute. Ve vill haff fewer but better Soviets!”

Yo-

My latest SSD acquisition was a top rated Samsung 830 with 128gb for $70 - making it $.547 per gigabyte which is pretty darn reasonable to me-eh!

Heres a good deal on an Intel 520 180gb SSD @ Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel+-+520+Series+180GB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Solid+State+Drive+for+Laptops/4921065.p?id=1218577563456&skuId=4921065&st=intel%20520&cp=1&lp=2

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2671007]Yo-

My latest SSD acquisition was a top rated Samsung 830 with 128gb for $70 - making it $.547 per gigabyte which is pretty darn reasonable to me-eh![/QUOTE]

Hi Mike, Where did you buy it? I am thinking to upgrade to SSD, your price point is exactly what I am looking for.

Yo Nick-

I got it off of a Amazon lead in our Bargan Basement

Suggest keeping a sharp eye out there as they come and go very fast-eh!!

Thanks Mike. I am keeping my eyes open.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2670966]I’ve never understood comments like the above. Why not just buy a 128GB SSD (which are very reasonably priced) for OS and Apps and keep a large HDD or two for other data?[/QUOTE]

Why not understand price…not everyone can afford or have money to toss around. There are more important things to take care of fore and foremost. So we need to take a pragmatic approach. And not all Laptop can take two HDD and those that can are expensive system to get. So your own reasoning goes along the same line. Also size per price you can’t get the capacity in HDD currently as you would spend on SSD. And most if not all people just use it to browse or facebook or twitter which a HDD will do just fine only those needing processing speed and fast-quick access will most benefit from SSD. Until SSD prices comes down to equivalent HDD prices/capacity currently it will not be worth for me. My logic comes from laptop point of view as majority only have One bay and expanding or going larger SSD is a big investment unlike HDD. But that is my own experiences in hardware upgrade costs.

[QUOTE=Dee;2669610]I think you’ll have a very long wait in this case.
As long as HDDs are still around, SSDs will always demand a price premium, simply because of their performance. I guess that is why many people bought HDDs like the WD VRaptor, as they were willing to pay extra for the extra performance.[/QUOTE]

Some of the cheapest SSD drives are still much faster than most expensive 15K RPM HDD drives. A future 2TB HDD made of TLC chips selling for US$300 would still be hundreds of times faster than fastest 2.5-inch form factor drives with identical cost and capacity. I predict that will come not in 10 years, but by the end of 2015.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2669592]The 512GB drives have to be about 300USD before I feel comfortable[/QUOTE]

no thanks. I’ll stick with spinners. 500gb portable goes for $49; 3TB desktop is $129.
I’ve had 20 year old HDDs still work.
Anyway, for my price point either Ultrabooks nor SSDs fit in.