SSD price per GB drops below $0.50 – how low can they go?

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: SSD price per GB drops below $0.50 – how low can they go?[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/03/myce-ssd-price-per-gb-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Heavy competition between SSD brands and scaling down of NAND results in lower prices of SSDs, the price per GB has now dropped below $0.50

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-price-per-gb-drops-below-0-50-how-low-can-they-go-70703](http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-price-per-gb-drops-below-0-50-how-low-can-they-go-70703)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

While this is an interesting evolution,I doubt that the Average Joe will spend more than 200$ to get a higher capacity SSD disc just for storage…:disagree:
IMHO,as long as the concept of 256 GB SSD as system disk,and a fast 1 or more TB conventional HD will be the best value for money,the big capacity SSD’s will be only interesting for a niche market,or servers…:wink:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2721663]While this is an interesting evolution,I doubt that the Average Joe will spend more than 200$ to get a higher capacity SSD disc just for storage…:disagree:
IMHO,as long as the concept of 256 GB SSD as system disk,and a fast 1 or more TB conventional HD will be the best value for money,the big capacity SSD’s will be only interesting for a niche market,or servers…;)[/QUOTE]

Their are several good 240gb and 256 gb SSDs that can be had for less than 130.00USD.

You get what you pay for. Keep an eye on the durability rating before spending on a cheap SSD as your system disk !

[QUOTE=alan1476;2721702]Their are several good 240gb and 256 gb SSDs that can be had for less than 130.00USD.[/QUOTE]

I know Alan,I only referred to the 200$ price tag as maximum the average user would spend on an SSD…
And although it’s possible to find some promo’s here,the Western Europe prices are usually 10-20 % higher than the US prices…:wink:

Would be interesting to see the various price points for SSDs made with TLC and MLC NAND - if I’m correct, the more durable MLC NAND-based drives start around $0.58/GB?

You can buy the Sandisk Extreme 11 480gb SSD for 279.00 on Amazon. That has MLC and its a great SSD. I have seen them on Ebay brand new for 259.00 (480gb) that’s about as cheap as you will see for MLC, but not for anything, I find that the TLC nand is just as good and I bet it will last just as long if you an avg computer user, I have both and neither has slowed down on me since I have the SSDs. But I guess its to early to tell.

I started with a 120gb and it was too small. I always ran out of room. I’ve had a 240gb over a year now. It’s ok, but I have to delete games from time to time to make room for more.

I wouldn’t mind a 480gb for a little extra room.

I’ve been getting by fine with a 120gb, but I have all writing going somewhere else…

Then again I have six drives aside from the SSD system drive and the smallest of these is a 1.5TB.

Will I upgrade?

I don’t need the fastest SSD, but when I get the chance for a 256 of equal speed and quality for $100 or less I’ll jump.

Until then I don’t believe there is anything broken that I need to fix.

But I will welcome the chance to upgrade for less money

@AllanDeGroot: I have a Samsung tablet with a 128 GB SSD that I’ve been using for a few years. It’s running Windows 7 Professional, Office 2010 Profession Plus, and has multiple other software installed, and I’ve never gone over about 35 percent utilization of the drive because, like you, I don’t store any data on it. For a while (after the warranty was over), I had considered opening it up and upgrading to a 256 GB SSD, but then, again like you, decided that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. There would have been little or no noticeable gain by upgrading to a bigger, maybe faster SSD. Now I don’t think I would upgrade even if the price of a 256 GB SSD did drop below $100.00. Maybe I’d buy one for my desktop computer or laptop, though.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2736321]@AllanDeGroot: I have a Samsung tablet with a 128 GB SSD that I’ve been using for a few years. It’s running Windows 7 Professional, Office 2010 Profession Plus, and has multiple other software installed, and I’ve never gone over about 35 percent utilization of the drive because, like you, I don’t store any data on it. For a while (after the warranty was over), I had considered opening it up and upgrading to a 256 GB SSD, but then, again like you, decided that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. There would have been little or no noticeable gain by upgrading to a bigger, maybe faster SSD. Now I don’t think I would upgrade even if the price of a 256 GB SSD did drop below $100.00. Maybe I’d buy one for my desktop computer or laptop, though.[/QUOTE]
There are many 240GB and 256GB SSDs for less than 100USD now, good ones too.
This one goes between 112.00 and 99USD every other day.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2721662]We’ve just posted the following news: SSD price per GB drops below $0.50 – how low can they go?[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/03/myce-ssd-price-per-gb-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-price-per-gb-drops-below-0-50-how-low-can-they-go-70703

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

How low it can go depends upon market conditions. Classic supply vs demand.