Ssd or velocirapter?

vbimport

hi i am thinking of getting a wd velocirapter(450gb) to go in a new system, ssd prices are still very high and i thought the velocirapter would be a good buy?
are there any hd that come close to the velocirapter in performance terms.
thanks
mark

There is a hybrid drive manufactured by Seagate that has interesting performance. You can read more here :slight_smile:

Why not buy a Corsair Force F60 and a 2TB Hitachi drive for instance? :slight_smile:
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2539668]Why not buy a Corsair Force F60 and a 2TB Hitachi drive for instance? :slight_smile:
//Danne[/QUOTE]I would go this route as well, but perhaps with a different components, but most certainly a SandForce based SSD.
The WD VR’s IMO, are not good value for money.

thanks, would an ssd 120gb have enough space for my o/s win7 and photoshop lightroom etc, i have 3 other int drives but thought something fast to start up and find my main programs?
mark

120GB should be large enough for most users for their OS and applications.

If you are looking at SandForce based SSD’s, then you have a couple of options regarding user space on the SSD.
For example. both the OCZ Vertex 2 100GB and Vertex 2E 120GB have 128GB of MLC NAND. The 100GB having 28% NAND over-provisioning compared to the 120 E version having 13% over-provisioning. The 100GB version will be a good deal faster once the drive has reached a “steady state” compared the 120GB E version.

I have a 100GB Vertex 2, with my full Win7 install (with all my applications) I still have 59GB free.

PS:
Steady state is reached when all NAND in the SSD has been written to once, when after, blocks have to be erased before new data can be written. This has the effect of slowing down the drive. In the case of SandForce based SSD’s this slowdown is quite small, and access times are still more than 100 times faster than that VR you were thinking of buying. :slight_smile:

Unless you have a spectacularly bloated system (lots of outdated restore points in Vista) 60gb is enough for almost any home system drive

And that allows fdor nearly half the drive to be left empty fo easier defragging, though defragging an SSD often should be avoided.

AD