SSD laptop kit

vbimport

Hi there,
I just bought a new samsung 830 SSD o sale, for 90$. I want to mount it on my current laptop which is an Asus G60Jx. The problem is, i didn’t bought the ssd which come also with a laptop kit, which contains a spacer to use for 9mm laptop bay. I searched on the internet, but i can’t find a place where i can buy just that particular spacer(adapter) 7mm ssd to fit oki in 9mm bay. What is the best way to improvise or handmade such an adapter? can i simply use some 2mm paper to make the hdd stay in the right position?

Hi movi, welcome to the forum :flower:
Congrats on your new SSD. We have some serious SSD experts around here, please feel free to ask for any help you might need.
I did a little research on that myself, and the best solution I saw was to simply apply weatherstripping to mimic the standard adapter. Paper would probably work, but the weatherstrip would leave most of the drive exposed to air and allow for much better heat escape and run the drive cooler. Here’s a pic to illustrate what I mean.

First of all, thanks for the nice welcome!
I will have in mind for sure your solution, and thanks for the time you spent with the photo also.
I did a lot of search for an already tested solution from someone, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe all did bought the ssd with the laptop kit :bigsmile:
Anyway…we must be inventive, right? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=movi;2644250]First of all, thanks for the nice welcome!
I will have in mind for sure your solution, and thanks for the time you spent with the photo also.
I did a lot of search for an already tested solution from someone, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe all did bought the ssd with the laptop kit :bigsmile:
Anyway…we must be inventive, right? :)[/QUOTE]
They sell a notebook kit but that SSD is much thinner than the reg ones. You can call them and see if you have any options if it will fit in your notebook, I am sure they will send you what you need.

You have nothing to lose , they can only say no.:flower:

[QUOTE=movi;2644250]First of all, thanks for the nice welcome!
Anyway…we must be inventive, right? :)[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. Thank you for bringing this up. I’m sure this dilemma will be faced by many others. Please stop back and let us know your solution?

@Alan: Good idea. Takes the thrill of conquest through invention out of the equation, but I suppose it might work :wink: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2644324]You’re welcome. Thank you for bringing this up. I’m sure this dilemma will be faced by many others. Please stop back and let us know your solution?

@Alan: Good idea. Takes the thrill of conquest through invention out of the equation, but I suppose it might work :wink: :)[/QUOTE]

Hi again :slight_smile:
I will be able to post here my solution, after i receive my ssd, and that is in the beginning of September :slight_smile: when a cousin will visit me from the States. He is the one who bought it for me there.
I also followed Alan’s advice and asked the Samsung support about it. I am curious if I will receive an answer… :slight_smile:
Thanks for your posts :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2644275]They sell a notebook kit but that SSD is much thinner than the reg ones. You can call them and see if you have any options if it will fit in your notebook, I am sure they will send you what you need.

You have nothing to lose , they can only say no.:flower:[/QUOTE]

The answer from Samsung Support:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung SSD support regarding your inquiry. Unfortunately, Samsung does not sell this unit separately as it only comes with the laptop installation kit of the 830 Series SSD. The only way to obtain it is to purchase the kit. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

:slight_smile:

The weatherstripping is a great possibility that I’ve never considered. Such geniuses! We use those little rubber ‘sticky feet’ pads found in Targets, WalMarts, etc. They end up looking like Western Digital drives, with those at the four corners - black ‘dots’.

[QUOTE=movi;2645332]The answer from Samsung Support:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung SSD support regarding your inquiry. Unfortunately, Samsung does not sell this unit separately as it only comes with the laptop installation kit of the 830 Series SSD. The only way to obtain it is to purchase the kit. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

:)[/QUOTE]I’m sorry to hear that. The weatherstrip should work just as well. Or Christine’s smart suggestion(Thanks! :flower:). In either case, it is just a matter of making sure that the foam you choose can compress to 2mm reasonably easily. This is why I linked to low density/open cell foam. It is designed to compress to near-flat. If you use high density/closed cell foam, you would need to be sure it is not too much thicker than 2mm to start with, as it has limited compressibility. Easy enough to check it out with a pinch test at a local store :).

[QUOTE=movi;2645098]Hi again :slight_smile:
I will be able to post here my solution, after i receive my ssd, and that is in the beginning of September :slight_smile: when a cousin will visit me from the States. He is the one who bought it for me there.
I also followed Alan’s advice and asked the Samsung support about it. I am curious if I will receive an answer… :slight_smile:
Thanks for your posts ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi again,

I received my samsung 830 ssd and I just installed it without any spacer in the bay. It fit there without any problems, so in my case the spacer is not needed any more. But maybe the good solutions posted in this thread, will help others :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it :clap: