SSD High Pitch Noise?

vbimport

Last year I bought my first SSD. it was a Crucial M4 (this one specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 ).

I just got around to really setting it up last week (don’t ask) but noticed that when i am now using my computer i hear this high pitch, almost ultrasonic noise coming from it. The best way i can describe it is like at the dentist and they use those new super fast vibrating hook tools to clean your teeth and you can hear the high frequency noise in your head…it sounds like that.

Like i said, this was my first one, so i dont know what to expect but it doesnt seem right to me… especially since i know there are no moving parts in it so there shouldnt be any sort of vibration coming from it.

Thanks in advance!

How do you know that the sound is coming from the SSD and not from something else such as e.g. your monitor?

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2674233]Last year I bought my first SSD. it was a Crucial M4 (this one specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 ).

I just got around to really setting it up last week (don’t ask) but noticed that when i am now using my computer i hear this high pitch, almost ultrasonic noise coming from it. The best way i can describe it is like at the dentist and they use those new super fast vibrating hook tools to clean your teeth and you can hear the high frequency noise in your head…it sounds like that.

Like i said, this was my first one, so i dont know what to expect but it doesnt seem right to me… especially since i know there are no moving parts in it so there shouldnt be any sort of vibration coming from it.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
There are no moving parts, are you sure the noise is coming from the Solid State disc drive? I read alot about SSDs and this is the first time I ever heard of one making any noise…

It’s actually not uncommon,
High voltages are generated inside a NAND flash device, and you have a Charge Pump Device (CPD) used for erasing NAND. This CPD requires a “choke” to filter out noise. I’d bet the coil in the choke is loose, and the sound you hear is actually a high pitched vibration. You can’t fix this on your own, so the SSD will need to be replaced.

Before requesting a replacement, do make sure that the noise is for sure coming from the SSD.

This should be fairly easy to check. If it is the choke, then loading the SSD will normally make the noise more prominent. Try copying a large file to the SSD, and see if this makes the noise more prominent.

definitely not the monitor… its coming from under my desk where my tower is. i tried your advice and copied an 8GB file TO my SSD and it DOES get more prominent when copying… so this points to the SSD then, right?

this is (by all means) a brand new drive tho. i bought it back in June tho but just now really installed it. too late for an RMA i imagine.

if this “choke” is loose, can that kill/damage the drive? or is it something i can learn to live with (ie. just a noise issue)?

thanks for the help!

It certainly points towards the SSD, but the next stage would be to open your case, and remove the SSD, you should still be able to leave the SATA and power cable attached to the SSD. Just hold the SSD case to your ear while its running, and if it is the SSD you should be able to pinpoint that the noise is indeed coming from the SSD.

It’s important to make sure the noise is coming from the SSD and not another choke on the motherboard, as most vendors will have a charge for checking an item which is then found not to be faulty. The other thing you could do is unplug the SSD power cable and see if the noise disappears.

A loose coil in a choke shouldn’t fail, it’s just a matter of the noise annoyance. Crucial, if I remember correctly have a 3 year warranty, so you should be able to raise a support ticket at their website, although it may be more convenient for you to deal with the vendor you purchased the SSD from.

I probably shouldn’t mention that, when I put Hubby’s head in a vice of two SSDs, I too hear high pitched squeals. And things like, “No!” “Stop!” “Not again, please!”

But that’s always pretty common with him. He never lets me have any fun.

I am interested to hear the results of Dee’s suggestions - open up the case, pull out the SSD and listen directly to it.

well, its for sure the SSD making the noise. I unplug it and it goes away (altho now my old hard drives wont load my old os setup)… another threadon that topic now too. so it looks like i need to send it back. you recommend newegg first? or go straight to Crucial? i need to get my old hard drives working before i send anything back tho…

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2674804]well, its for sure the SSD making the noise. I unplug it and it goes away (altho now my old hard drives wont load my old os setup)… another threadon that topic now too. so it looks like i need to send it back. you recommend newegg first? or go straight to Crucial? i need to get my old hard drives working before i send anything back tho…[/QUOTE]
Back up all your files and send it back to Crucial. Sometime they do a expedited return if you have a credit card.

fortunately there’s nothing on there really to backup… but like i said, i need to get my old drives working first. i cant NOT have a working computer at home. just not doable with work. thanks for the advice tho. i will go thru crucial i think since its probably too late for new egg anyway.

I had one Samsung 840, not the Pro model that had the same noise. I sent it back and got the Pro model.:smiley: