SSD drives suffer from freezing problem - Let's solve it!

vbimport

I just posted the article SSD drives suffer from freezing problem - Let’s solve it!.

Many SSD users are reporting freezing issues, we want to solve it…

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-drives-suffer-from-freezing-problem-lets-solve-it-64212/](http://www.myce.com/news/ssd-drives-suffer-from-freezing-problem-lets-solve-it-64212/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Disabling AHCI isn’t a solution given that TRIM support (on most SSDs?) hinges on AHCI being enabled. I’ve read elsewhere on the net there might be SSDs out there with controllers and firmware that support TRIM in IDE mode, but none of the SSDs I looked at seemed to (Intel, Samsung 830, Kingston HyperX, etc). As for freezing on a SSD, personally I haven’t had mines freeze on me yet (knocks on wood). Of course, I’ve had mines for barely 2 months, so I haven’t gone through enough program/software combinations to encounter a freeze possibly.

I’d be interested in hearing thoughts from Dee. Especially if he has encountered this freeze issue on his SSDs…

The freezing problem appears to be related to the SATA controller that you use. On AMD systems, it helps to install the latest RAID or AHCI drivers. Doing this as well as updating the firmware on my SSDs has resolved my problems.

My theory is that the freezing problem has to do with the connection between the SSD, AHCI, and the operating system. Running in IDE mode is a poor work around because it harms SSD performance and reliability.

I have had SSDs since their beginnings at the consumer level and never had a freeze up.

Just to clarify something here.
TRIM doesn’t require AHCI mode to operate, it will work equally well in IDE mode. TRIM only requires the complete ATA stack to pass the TRIM command down the line to the SSD. This starts at the operating system level. The OS needs to support TRIM, and that would be Win7 or later, and most new Linux Distributions.

There are many myths about TRIM requiring AHCI mode around the net. They are all myths, and I have analyser
traces to prove it.

The next stage is the SATA controller must support TRIM pass-through, I haven’t heard of any SATA controller that doesn’t.

The SATA driver must also support TRIM pass-through. All Intel SATA drivers support this in AHCI and IDE mode, and Intel Z77 RST drivers 11.5 and later support TRIM pass-through on RAID 0 arrays on the Intel Z77 chipset and Win7 at the moment, as is said to be working on the launch version of Win8.

Freezing SSDs, may not be the SSD or firmware, there are many open bugs still un-fixed in the SATA controller side of things, power management bugs in the chipset, and unstable SATA drivers and controller option ROMS.

I’ve been using SSD’s in my computer for over a year an no freezes.

I started with a 120gb crucial drive. After 8 months I decided it was too small and put it in my laptop. No freezes on the laptop either.

I know use an OCZ Agility 3 (240gb) and no freezes either.

Both SSD’s have worked really well and are so much better then HDD’s.

[QUOTE=Dee;2658649]Just to clarify something here.
TRIM doesn’t require AHCI mode to operate, it will work equally well in IDE mode. TRIM only requires the complete ATA stack to pass the TRIM command down the line to the SSD. This starts at the operating system level. The OS needs to support TRIM, and that would be Win7 or later, and most new Linux Distributions.

There are many myths about TRIM requiring AHCI mode around the net. They are all myths, and I have analyser
traces to prove it.

The next stage is the SATA controller must support TRIM pass-through, I haven’t heard of any SATA controller that doesn’t.

The SATA driver must also support TRIM pass-through. All Intel SATA drivers support this in AHCI and IDE mode, and Intel Z77 RST drivers 11.5 and later support TRIM pass-through on RAID 0 arrays on the Intel Z77 chipset and Win7 at the moment, as is said to be working on the launch version of Win8.[/QUOTE]

Well that explains why some say TRIM works fine in IDE and others say it needs AHCI. I always assumed with the latter (as put forth around the net) was true.

Hmm, perhaps this is why Anandtech warned about potential freeze problems with hardware combinations when using a Sandforce-based SSD because kinks and bugs not totally worked out?

Dee, have you had any problems with freezing on any of the SSDs you have in your rig?

I’ll stick with my 5GB Maxtor hard drive, TYVM. :slight_smile:

I’ve had no freezing problems with any review sample SSD, and these cover all the popular SDD controllers such as, Indilinx, Marvell, Intel, SandForce SF1xxx and SF2xxx series, Everest and Everest 2, LAMD, nor have I been able to induce any freezing.

I have a couple of SATA3 SSDs that can just drop off the SATA2 controller on an AsRock Z68 chipset mobo, but I’m pretty sure that the SATA spec on that board lives to near the edge for comfort, and the SATA3 ports on the same mobo have no such problems. I also have an Asus Z77 mobo, which just seems to be very stable, and has no such problems.

There is a culture that has arisen over the last couple of years that wants to blame the SSD for ever single little problem they might run into, as if nothing else could possibly go wrong in a system. :slight_smile:

That doesn’t mean that SSDs have no problems, I just haven’t encountered any, so far.

If you should run into a problem with an SSD, the first thing you should do is clear CMOS on the mobo, and allow the power management tables to be re-built in CMOS. That’s always a good starting point, and from what I’ve seen tends to cure many instability problems. To rebuild the power management tables, you simply run the “Windows Experience Index” application, then reboot the PC.

Doing this will also make sure that Win7 for example, knows it’s an SSD that is connected and not an HDD.

THE FRUSTRATION OF A FROZEN DREAMED COMPUTER.

Finally some clear answer about my ssd kingston Hyper X combined with my mobo Z77.
I always knew that the frozen or bleu screen where related with my ssd because the only way to make the computer restart WITHOUT a black screen was to unplung and replug the sata conector from the ssd.

so now I put my mobo on IDE and will see if it was the AHCI.
Will tell you if it was that… the speed seems the same so the trims thing look not affecting anything.
I was waiting 2 years to try to understand the problems.

Just froze today :frowning: IDE AHCI bullshit

Hooo the windows experience help me so much.

Hi,

Everytime the SSD freezes the system, try t hat before: disable RAPID technology. It can be enabled in Samsung Magician for example, or in Intel RAPID Storage software (uninstall this one). You won’t loose benefit of AHCI, and RAPID isn’t such a need.

Of course, upgrading SSD firmware, BIOS, and motherboard drivers can help, but usually nowadays only old, non maintained, motherboard have this bug.

[QUOTE=Dee;2658649]The next stage is the SATA controller must support TRIM pass-through, I haven’t heard of any SATA controller that doesn’t.

The SATA driver must also support TRIM pass-through.[/QUOTE]

Any tweaked driver available for the Marvel 9128 SATA 3 controller??

hi I have macbook pro mid 2009 and my hyperx ssd by Kingtosn 480GB is freezing when booting from it on grey screen.

Trim enabled, the same happens when trying to intall fresh os on it.
works on usb as a secondary drive.

please help,
thanks,
Lukas

[QUOTE=lukaszbaku;2758193]hi I have macbook pro mid 2009 and my hyperx ssd by Kingtosn 480GB is freezing when booting from it on grey screen.

Trim enabled, the same happens when trying to intall fresh os on it.
works on usb as a secondary drive.

please help,
thanks,
Lukas[/QUOTE]
Did you make sure your Mac bios is up to date and if so and problems persist might be time to contact Mac support to see what is going on with SSD inside your Mac.

Go to Device Manager - Disk Drives - Double click your drive - Click Policies - Un-check Write Caching.
A SSD cannot overwrite and will freeze when it tries to.
Sorted - Triffid

SOLVED!

I bought an Asrock 980DE3 AHCI mobo with a AMD FX 4500 CPU, SSD OCZ 120 Gb, OS Win7
It crashed reading USB3 and DVD.

I simply disabled AHCI mode from BIOS (storage) and turn to IDE. Now it’s perfect.

My two cents.

[QUOTE=Anselmino;2771717]SOLVED!

I bought an Asrock 980DE3 AHCI mobo with a AMD FX 4500 CPU, SSD OCZ 120 Gb, OS Win7
It crashed reading USB3 and DVD.

I simply disabled AHCI mode from BIOS (storage) and turn to IDE. Now it’s perfect.

My two cents.[/QUOTE] If you own an SSD, you just slowed it down to platter drive speeds. You need achi enabled for SSDs.

This may or may not help people but I’ll leave through trial and error what worked for me in the hope it might help someone else.

On my Asus P6X58D-E motherboard I had two places where I could set AHCI:-

Storage Configuration -> SATA Configuration [Enhanced] -> Configure SATA as [IDE]
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Marvell 9128 Controller [AHCI Mode]

The above setting using a combination of setting IDE and AHCI stopped my Windows 10 freezing when idle. I bench marked the SSD in this configuration and it is running at super fast speeds of AHCI (400Mb/s) but with the same stability I had in IDE mode. I have a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows 10 and both are installed on a Crucial M550 SSD, as it happens Windows 7 never had the freezing when idle issue.